Status: Rated R for violence, gore, use of alcohol, suggestive themes and nudity

Concerning Hobbits

Queen Under The Mountain

Dale sounded the horns in the song of the king. Outside of Erebor. While Dane, Dwalin, and Balin handled the arraignments and preparation for burial of Thorin and Fili. Kili laid Pansy down gently on the stone tables in the dining hall. He stroked her hair back, and kissed her forehead. Oin worked on her along with Gandalf. Oin stitched the gash in her head while Gandalf tried a charm to repair in internal damage from the blow to the ground. “will she be alright?” Bilbo asked, Gandalf. “I cant-I can’t lose my sister and I friend at the same time I can’t” Bilbo said trying to suck in his emotions before they filled over. Kili looked up at Gandalf with water eyes. “can we not call for the elves, they are still nearby, they healed me, maybe-” Gandalf turned quickly to Kili and shook his head “I fear Lord Thranduil would have made haste to return back home, I do not foresee it” Gandalf said. Kili clenched his fists and looked up at Gandalf raising his voice “Then what are you to do! I will ride out and ask him myself if I must” He said. Gandalf gave Kili a pat on the shoulder, dismissing his words and went back to work.

Kili paced around the room. With the help of Dane and his men who had survived the dwarves were able to clear the infirmaries of Erebor and get them up and running so that the wounded had a proper place to heal. Although they were dusty, thankfully the provisions of the Infirmary were left untouched. Kili after having protested had finally gotten his chest wound looked to after much protesting. Kili paced and glared at Balin, “then you stop him, we hold no burials until She is well enough to stand and see them!” Kili called out “He chose her as his queen, if anything, grant them a proper goodbye!” Kili boomed still wracked with his overflowing emotions, tired, and painful. Balin sighed and nodded going off to find Dane.

Kili looked to Pansy’s bed and sighed, Oin staying at her bedside to monitor her pulse which would fade and return. Her eyes would flutter but not open. Kili went to her bedside opposite of Oin “I do not understand, if she is a child of the Valar why do they not help her” He muttered. “Aule has his way Kili” Oin said. Kili looked up at him in surprise in the dim firelight “Y-you you know of him?” Kili asked. Oin nodded “aye, all of past generations do, all dwarves shall return to the halls of he who borne them” Oin said. “he who borne them?” Kili asked. Oin looked to Pansy and rested her hand back onto the bed and stood up. “come she will stay a moment, there are some things you must see” Oin said. Kili glanced nervously at Pansy before following Oin’s lead down to the room of Scrolls.

“Hello!?” Bilbo called dashing through the Halls of Erebor, “is anyone in her listening I have been calling for hours?” Bilbo said coming to a halt before Balin, Dane, and Dwalin who had been apparently bickering previously. They turned to him and Gandalf grumbled “Calling for what?” Bilbo pointed behind him and gave a sigh “Lord Thranduil is at the gates” Bilbo said. Gandalf raised his bushy gray brows in surprise “oh?” He questioned grabbing his staff he headed for the Gate, Balin, and Bilbo Behind him.

“I have seen you need my aid” Thranduil said as he sat upon a white horse just before the open gates. “the door were open why not just come inside?” Balin asked. “Respect master dwarf” Thranduil said, he reached into a bag the hung across his chest and pulled out a glimmering white stone. “I’ve also come to return to the King is birthright” Balin nodded, “then enter” Balin said. Tauriel came galloping up behind Thranduil on a Bay horse. “wait! My lord!” she called bringing it to a stop. “I wish to help,” She said. Thranduil looked her over carefully and nodded before proceeding into Erebor.

The dwarves did not say much as the watched Gandalf lead the elves down the stone halls to the Infirmary. “you think they would be more grateful, all considering” Gandalf muttered in dis-appeal at the dwarves behavior. Bofur sat in Oin place at Pansy’s bedside, “where is Oin?” Gandalf asked less than pleased “He went with Kili to the scrolls, He sent me to watch over Pansy, Gandalf she cannot pull through this” Bofur said quickly as he stood up. “Not if we can say in it” Thranduil said slowly with sureness. His eyes went to the two elves landing on Tauriel. “it's you” He breathed. Tauriel smiled faintly and nodded and followed Thranduil to Pansy’s side. “Keep Kili away for me, I do not wish him to see me here” Tauriel managed the words were hard to say but, as she turned to look at Pansy she smiled, she knew were Kili belonged. Bofur nodded and heading out and down to the room of scrolls. Gandalf took Bofur’s place at the bedside and with Thranduil and Tauriel got to work.

“we have done now all that we can” Thranduil spoke as the three had finished, Bilbo hovered nearby, he looked from Pansy’s still paled face and her breathing still was not visible “wall that you can? There is no change?” Bilbo asked slightly panicked. Thranduil turned to him and tilted his head a bit “Only time will help her now Halfling” he said. “right well, Bilbo please take Lord Thranduil and see to it that his is made a room, it is late and we are all weary and battle-worn” Gandalf said. It was true, though it was late in the night it felt like the battle had only ended seconds ago, not hours ago. Bilbo sighed in frustration and gave pansy a last look before leading Thranduil out of the room. Tauriel looked to Gandalf who nodded and reading her eyes left, leaving her alone with Pansy.

Tauriel carefully rested her head on pansy’s crown and brushed back her hair. “You will watch over Kili for me won’t you?” she asked with a shaky breath. Tauriel pulled the Runestone from her pocket and held it tightly in her hand before carefully sliding it into Pansy’s hand and carefully closing her fingers around it. She was not bitter,no matter how bittersweet her heart felt. Tauriel was happy, she knew that her love for Kili was real now, and she knew that it would always remain. She did not need his in return, but she knew that the little creature before her did, more so than a dragon needs gold. Tauriel leaned over Pansy’s forehead and kissed it lightly, “What Grace is given me, let it pass to her. Let her be spared” Tauriel said softly. “What are you doing! I need to see her has she been left alone! Why is no one watching her!” Kili’s voice sounded off through the halls. Tauriel looked up at to the door slightly startled as she realized he was trying to get back to the infirmary, she had to leave quickly. Turning to look back down at Pansy she gave her a slight bow of her head before taking her leave out of the room. A quiet as a shadow Tauriel left from Erebor, Halt her horse she took a Final look at the mountain and smiled before riding off into the night.

Bofur peeked into the Infirmary while Kili raged at him. Looking both ways he could see that Tauriel had gone “alright” Bofur said to Kili’s shouts and stepped out of his way, Kili leered at him as he passed and rushed to Pansy’s side. The color had come back to his skin and as he touched her arm it was warm. “Pansy” Kili said softly a smile coming to his face as he checked over her. Kili reached for her hand, and in sliding his hand into her's he felt something cold and smooth, it had a familiar carving on it. Pulling the stone out of Pansy’s hand Kili gazed at it his heart pounding. For a moment, he was sad and then he smiled in gladness. Looking down at the stone as he held it out in his palm he looked to Pansy who started to stir. “Tauriel” the thought holding the stone to his chest “thank you”

Pansy’s eyes fluttered open as she turned her head to Kili “Kili?” She said in a breath of air. Kili took her hand and leaned over to her “yes, yes it’s me I’m right here” He said and Pansy burst into tears. She had did it, were are she was aware that Thorin was gone, she had managed to aid him enough to ride Azog of this world, which meant Kili was safe, and her promise to Fili and Thorin had been fulfilled. Kili kissed her forehead “shh” he said. Pansy looked up at him. “Kili” she said faintly, as she watched him clumsily fuss over her pillow and sheets all the while his eyes burning with happy tears threatening to fall. Now that there was no war around them, and no orcs, no Elves, no dwarves, trolls, spiders, or anything of the like around them. Pansy felt she had to say it for fear she’d never again get the chance. “I love you” Kili closed his eyes and laughed at himself as he wiped away two tears that would not stay. He turned to her and rested his forehead to hers. And closed his eyes, a silence fell over them, but it was a good one.

Kili carried Pansy, who was too weak still to walk into the finally resting place of the Kings. It was dark and not but the thousands of candle lights lighted the room, The dwarves circled around two stone tables in the middle of the room, laying peacefully on them in the center of little flicking flames of candles lay Thorin and Fili. A Kili approached the tables the dwarves of Thorin’s company parted for him to walked through, each giving a deep bow of their head to Pansy who looked around at them confused. Kili sat her down carefully and with his help she walked first to Fili’s side. Kili slid his mother's stone into Fili’s hands which were wrapped around the hilt of his sword. Pansy gave Kili's hand a squeeze, it hard imagining that she would never seeing them together again, having spent half the journey in their shared company, ever since the start when no one else would want to much to do with her, it was always the two of them that kept her company. Smiled painfully as she remembered the journey with them, kissed the top of Fili’s head. “by my brother, I will keep my promise” Pansy whispered “my whole life long” she bit her lip and her eyes trailed over to Thorin, her feet didn’t want to move but she willed herself to his side then walking to the front of the table. Bilbo bit his lip and looked away struggling to stay collected. Pansy stood at Thorin’s head and gazed down at him a few steps away.

Her mind wandered back to the very beginning “ Dwarfs! A whole Thorpe of ‘em” she could hear herself call, remembering how she had fallen drunkenly through the door. “yes, Oin Sir, Gloin Sir, Dwalin, Nori, Ori, and Dori, Bifur, Bofur” Gandalf had named each of them off

“and Bombur at your service”

“Balin at your service”

““Fili at your service”

Pansy blinked and fought against the tears welling

“and Kili at your service”

Pansy smiled.

“and Thorin”

Pansy smiled and a tear slipped down her face as she could see herself with that clumsily drunken curtsy she could hear herself giggling “and Pansy…at your service!”

Pansy walked closer to the table. And gazed down at his face.

“having a bit of fun in my dream, with the dwarfs from my book…you see you don’t know it but I am passed out back at the green dragon” her words echoed.

“no Pansy…you are not dreaming…they are all here” Bilbo had said. Real Dwarfs!” she remembered how excited she had been running around to each of them shaking their hands excitedly. She remembered turning to Thorin, how she walked up to him awestruck, curtsying lower than she had ever curtsied in her life.

“and that means….you are thee Thorin” 

More tears slipped down her face as she remembered that was the very first smile he had ever given her. She remembered how she listened in so closely as he had told the story of Erebor and how she had been itching to set forth and join them on their journey. From that second on Thorin’s words floated around in her head

“Preposterous! This is no Journey for the likes of a Woman…maybe if she was that of a ranger, but this, this is a hobbit child”

“ I think that this is ridiculous and that it won’t end well, but I trust Kili’s word, and if Gandalf so see’s it fit. You may stay along for the journey”

Thorin rode his Pony up to Pansy and Held out his hand “Come along child we should be expecting Burglar Baggins, every soon”


Pansy walked closer to Thorin and slid her hands between the candles, resting her fingers in his hair, more tears slipped down still it had been the first time of many that he had held out his hand, and welcomed her not willingly at first but that had passed after a time. She recalled how the first day of the journey she had burned her hand and he carefully tended to her. How he gave her his dagger to face the trolls and allowed her to keep it after. Resting on his back and nodding off as they rode along on the Ponies. The annoyed look he gave her when she tripped in the tunnels and yet he took and carried her bag for her. Pansy chuckled to herself as she remembered how she plucked free a stand of his hair when Thorin had been short with Lord Elrond of Rivendell.

“You try that again…and I’ll offer you as fodder to Smaug” She remembered him saying afterward. She recalled very clumsy moment she had ever had, and how he was usually the one who was there for it, helping her back to her feet. Usually highly annoyed. “I was such a burden” Pansy muttered as she leaned over him and watched his face. “but you carried me anyway, so I wanted to be good enough for the company” pansy said remembering the goblin tunnels her own words

“Look behind him, he’s got an army! One so strong it only takes those few, and He does have a Mountain! One of Grand halls and hidden Jewels, a fortress like no other!”

Pansy looked up at the faces of the company briefly and then all around the grand room. Her eyes going to Fili. She had been right, she’d not seen it at the time and she had not known that she had been talking about, just running off at the mouth. But it turned out that she had been right. Her eyes lingered on Fili, Thorin did have an army so strong he only needed those few. As even after a battle against a legion of orcs, trolls, and various other creatures of the dark, he had only lost one. One brave soldier who gave his life in place as a warning, and a fire for them to win the battle. She remembered how Thorin, Fili, and Kili had saved her from falling down into the darkness with the Goblin King. When Thorin first faced Azog on his own, how she had lost her fingers protecting him. Pansy shifted her fingers in his hair and looked at then between the locks. She only had six full fingers left now not that she much minded it was all worth it. How when she had reunited with him, instead of being yelled at she had been hugged.

“Little Baggins,It is hardly nothing” He had said. Pansy could almost feel the moment all over again as he leaned over and repeated what she had told him as he was laying unconscious on the ground while the chaos was around them.

“It’s alright, it’s going to be ok”

A tear slid down to Pansy’s chin. “I wanted to be useful…I’m not fightless, not anymore!” her words clear as they day she said them in her mind. More tears than before slipped free.

“No, of course not, I ask not but of Loyalty, Honor, and a willing heart…I ask no more than that”

“ we will find a way out, but I will not doom you to this place you are not a burden, for all I have said in the past, I was wrong”

“you are not the same hobbit whom left the Shire...fight-less, ignorant little thing, be it still as innocent, but you have become strong and brave. you may not be the mightiest, but yes, a warrior nonetheless”

“I am asking if you will stay at my side when all is over”

“I do not care, for any Elven deity or fables, I care for the halfling, who stumbled in drunkenly from the Shire”

“you belong in no Shire, Elven hall or Sky”
“you belong at my side”

“this will be you home”

“of all the treasure I shall name you unto myself”

“we will welcome into our Halls, as Future queen!Pansy Arkenstone!”

“You, Pansy I trust you with my life, not many have just a privilege, you who I used to have so little faith in, I put all in now”

Memories flooded the good and the bad alike but the bad had faded away into the shadows of her mind as quickly as they replayed for they did not matter now. Pansy’s tears fell onto Thorin’s cheek, she brushed them away carefully and leaned down kissing his forehead. Yet as she pulled away the damn broke and she cried over him silently. The dwarves looked on in sadness and Bofur removed his hat, bowing his head. Kili went to Pansy and pulled her away “do not cry, he would not have you grieve for those whose time is over.” Kili said turning her to face him “ But have you smile, you wanted to help him and you have, he is with his fathers now in your father’s Halls to which one day we shall all return” said Kili. Pansy looked up at him and nodded. Thranduil walked up quietly to the end of Thorin’s table and around to his side he rested the Arkenstone, glowing in the darkness in Thorin's hands, on his stomach gave a slight bow and turned to leave.

Pansy wiped the tears from her eyes and turned to face everyone. “The King is Dead!” Gandalf called out, Balin raised his sword into the air solemnly and shouted, “Long live the king!” He shouted. All the dwarves of Thorin’s company, Gandalf, Bilbo, Beorn, Radaghast, and Even Thranduil (though he did not say a word) raised their swords together shouting “Long live the King!” they shouted. Dane and his Men pulled free their weapons and raised them silently before Dane bowed his head in respect. Bombur blew the horn of Erebor in the Kings song, and almost in an Instant the Horns of Dale echoed them in the same chorus as the sun started to rise slowly behind the mountains with a new dawn. Erebor’s new beginning at a painful end.

As Pansy had her head bowed, she felt something head being gently placed atop her head. Dwalin was now behind her, and Thorin's Company had turned to face her. “Hail! And long live, Pansy Arkenstone, Queen Under the Mountain!” Dwalin called out dropping the Crown gently on her head. It fell down like a headband rather than sitting atop her head as it was meant for a king as thus too big. Pansy’s heart jumped as she was startled. “hail!” Thorin Company called with smiles on their faces, happy and sorrowful all at once. Pansy weak and confused looked to Kili shaking her head. “I- I-” she stammered “I cannot do this!” her mind screamed. “It is what he wanted” Balin said to her. Pansy’s stammers faded she closed her eyes and sighed heavily “I cannot do this alone” she said softly. Kili turned to face her and hit his right fist to his heart bowing his head to her. Pansy opened her eyes as she heard his armor jingle, He fist still over his heart bowed down on one knee and bowed his head “You will not be alone” He said in a deep clear tone as he did so. Pansy looked far into his eyes and nodded firmly.

Kili rose to his feet and stood at her side raising his sword into the air. “these are your people now” Dwalin said to her, “I think they always were” Pansy said softly.
♠ ♠ ♠
There is only a little bit of sadness left and then the end will be merrier.