‹ Prequel: Lightning
Sequel: Happily Ever After
Status: One-Shot

The Lights

I/I

The air was cold, snow crunching under Britany's feet as she walked up to the apartment complex that lay shrouded in winter grayness and snow white. It was barely any warmer in the hall way, up the stairs. She doubted even her apartment was much different in temperature.

Unlocking the door, she stepped inside and unwound the scarf from around her neck. She stopped in her movements, that feeling of another presence in the room washing over her.

“Merry Christmas.” Britany yelped and turned to the dining room table. Her curly-haired boyfriend sat at the head of the old table, grinning at her. “Did I scare you?”

“Michael!” she exclaimed and practically ran towards him.

He rose just in time to wrap her in his arms. “That's my name.”

Britany looked up at him and took his face in her chilled hands. “What are you doing here? Its Christmas Eve. You should be with your family.”

“So should you,” he said.

Britany frowned. “I can't with all the snow...how did you get here?”

“I have my secrets,” her boyfriend answered, grinning wolfishly.

Britany smiled and gave him a quick peck on the lips. “I'm just so excited you're here!” she squealed, breaking away from him to hurry about the tiny the Christmas tree set against the window. “I'm glad I bought your presents already!”

“Babe, you shouldn't have gotten me anything,” said Michael.

“Of course I should have,” she argued. “I even have food we can have for a Christmas dinner.” She was just so happy, Michael thought better than to speak against her wanting to go through the work.

“Alright,” he sighed. “Can I use your shower though? Its been a long day...”

“Of course!” said Britany, already rummaging around the kitchen to start the meal. “The water might take a while to warm up so I'd leave it run for a few minutes before hopping in.”

Michael smiled at the happiness bubbling from his girlfriend. “Alright,” he chuckled and left for the bathroom.

Britany began searching through her kitchen on what she could throw together, but with the lack of time to prepare, her cupboards and pantry were almost bare. She frowned, studying the desolated refrigerator shelves. There were some potatoes to peel, canned vegetables, and frozen TV dinners that could be zapped in the microwave. Slightly depressing if she thought about it, especially when she thought about her boyfriend's monstrous appetite. Sighing, she grabbed the plastic filmed dinner's from the freezer and began heating them in the microwave while the potatoes boiled.

“You look cute when you're thinking.”

Britany turned and about dropped the tray in her hands. Michael was leaning against the wall, damp hair diminished to a wave from the water, and shirt no where in sight. Besides the gruesome scars matted across his abdomen, he was a true sight to admire. He was so perfectly sculpted, it was unreal, especially when he admitted to never working out. How he stayed so gorgeous was beyond her.

Michael quirked an eyebrow. “You okay there?”

Britany worked her jaw a few time before swallowing and smiling. “I'm fine. You're just too hot for your own good.”

Michael looked down at himself, then at her. “Have you looked in a mirror?” A glimpse of satisfaction settled when he noticed her blush as she turned away. She just didn't realize what she truly did to him. His strong arm's wrapped around her waist as he set his chin on her shoulder. “Why are you cooking?”

“Because you're hungry; you always are,” Britany explained, swallowing nervously when she felt his chest lean against her back. “I wanted to make something better, but—”

“This is perfect,” Michael interjected, kissing her temple.

After potatoes were smashed and cheap meals were heated, they sat in front of the small Christmas tree and ate their dinner, talking over whatever came to their minds. Dishes washed and stomachs satisfied, they exchanged presents.

“No way!” the werewolf exclaimed, tearing the paper from the large box. “A new tool set!”

“You tell me your coworkers keep stealing your tools,” Britany smiled, leaning against him.

Michael shook his head and looked at his girlfriend. “This is really expensive, Brit.”

“So?” She pushed him playfully. “You deserve it.”

“Yeah, well it makes my present look a whole lot...less great.”

“I'm going to love it,” she insisted, grabbing the small package.

She tore away at the snowman-patterned wrapping paper and rose an eyebrow at him quizzically when a little blue box was revealed. She lifted the lid, lips parting slightly. Sparkling in the multi-colored lights was a heart, embedded with tiny diamonds hanging from a silver chain. “Michael...” She was speechless. “Its...its gorgeous.”

“I wanted to get you something more...”

Britany placed a finger on his lips and replaced it with her own. “Its perfect. Thank you.”

Michael removed the necklace from the box and gestured for her to turn her back to him. Britany pulled her hair over one shoulder as he draped the gift around her neck and fastened it in the back. “Now you really do own my heart,” he whispered, breathe blowing in her ear.

Britany's lips pulled into a grin and leaned back until her head rested in his lap. He smiled down at her and dipped down to place another kiss on her lips, gentle and warm. “Merry Christmas, babe.”

She looked into those golden orbs, hand going up to brush the curls from his eyes. “Merry Christmas. Thank you for coming...”

“No problem,” Michael grunted, sliding to the floor and resting her head on his stomach. “Spending it with you is perfect.”

Britany smiled as fingers glided through her hair, eyes focused on the lights settled against green needles. The night grew colder and darker outside. Time passed without much talk, only the comfort of each other's presence, until they fell asleep underneath the lights.
♠ ♠ ♠
A shirtless Michael. ;)
I hope you liked; this was fun to write and I apologize for the tardiness!
Merry Belated Christmas!