Status: Thinking of you...

Letters From a Spirit

Time

"Cassandra, let mother brush your hair." Cathy said as she gripped onto the silver handle of her hairbrush and pulled her young daughter back to her. "You'll be late for school and I'll have to have your father drive--"

"I'm leaving, darling." Lucas said as he walked behind her and kissed the top of her head.

Cathy nodded as she looked back at her curly haired daughter and sighed. "It looks as if you and I will just have to walk to school." she muttered as she tied her hair with a ribbon.

"Walk?" Cassandra asked as she looked up at her mother. "Oh, mother, I couldn't walk today! Wait, daddy, won't you drive me to school?" she cried as she ran from in-front of her mother and out onto the front porch.

Cathy stood up and ran a hand over her apron, looking over the messy kitchen she recognized Cassandra's lunch, packed and left, on the counter. "Silly girl." she muttered as she snatched up the paper bag and ran out of the front door.

"Lucas!" she yelled as she took the front steps two at a time and stumbled when her heel caught on the loose bottom step. "Lucas, she's forgotten her lunch!" she Cathy cried as she limped to the car window.

"Are you alright then?" he asked as he took the bag out of her hand and looked out of the window of the '57 Chevrolet. The wail of a baby went up into the air and Cathy was the only one to turn her head and look.

"I suppose I'll have to be." Cathy said in a sigh.

"Good then. Have a good day, darling." Lucas blew a kiss out the window and Cathy took a deep breath as she peeled her shoe off of her already swollen ankle.

The ground was warm beneath the sheer stockings on her feet and the pebbles all seemed to be one size, the length and width of Daniel's thumb when she had been sixteen and she had twisted her ankle and he had felt the need to sit her down and massage her foot for hours.

She had been late for dinner that night and been grounded for a week. The punishment lasted until twelve eighteen the next night, when Daniel had tapped on her window with pebbles and called her down.

"You'll get me in trouble, Daniel!" Cathy hissed as she finished raising the window and a small pebble hit her cheek. "Stop that, mama will hear you!"

Daniel's green eyes sparkled as he threw his last pebble. "Oh, come on, Cathy, nobody's going to find out!"

The front door swung open and her mother stepped onto the porch. "Daniel Matthews, get out of my front yard!"

Daniel's eyes grew wide with surprise as he stumbled back over his own feet and fell onto his backside. "Oh, Mrs. Lee-brook! I'm--you don't understand, I'm not--"

"Go home, Daniel, before I phone your mother and your father and tell them that you're out of your bed and taking my daughter out of hers, go on now!"

Daniel nodded as he clamored back into his truck, dramatically, he'd blown a kiss to her and her mother threw the broom.

The wail of the baby called Cathy out of her memories. How long had she been standing there? The increasingly loud screams from the baby told her that she'd been standing there longer than she had actually had time to...