Status: Completed

'Cause the Hardest Part of This is Leaving You.

You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison. Part I.

" Where do you reckon he gets them from, Lindsey? "

She yawns hugely. " Toytown? " she says. " Legoland? "

" Why are you so horrible? "

She turns on the bed and looks at me. " Because he's boring and ugly and you've got me, so I don't even know why you're interested. You shouldn't have asked him for drugs. I told you I'd get some for you. "

" You haven't exactly been around. "

" Last time I looked, you were flat on your back in a hospital and I was visiting you! "

" And last time I looked, I was only there because you told me to jump in a river! "

She sticks her tongue out, so I turn back to the window. Frank got home ages ago, went inside for half and hour, then came back out and started raking leaves. I thought he'd have knocked on the door by now. Maybe we're supposed to go to him.
Lindsey comes to stand beside me and we watch him together. Every time he loads leaves onto the wheelbarrow, dozens of them fly off again in the wind and settle back into the lawn.

" Hasn't he got anything better to do? "
I knew she'd think that. She doesn't have much patience for anything she has to wait for. If she planted a seed, she'd have to dig it back up and look at it every day to see if it was growing yet.
" He's gardening. "

She gives me a haughty look. " Is he retarded? "

" No! "

" Shouldn't he be at college or something? "

" I think he looks after his mom. "

She looks at me with plotting eyes. " You like him? "

" I don't. "

" You do. You're secretly in love with him. You know stuff about him you couldn't possibly know if you didn't care. "

I shake my head, try to put her off the scent. She'll play along with it now, make it bigger than it would have been with out her.

" Do you stand here everyday spying at him? "

" No. "

" I bet you do. I'm going to ask him if he likes you back. "

" No, Lindsey! "

She runs to the door laughing. " I'm going to ask him if he wants to marry you! "

" Please, Lindsey. Don't mess it up! How do we even know if he likes guys! "

She walks back across the room, shaking her head. " Gerard, I thought you understood the rules! Never let a dude into your heart - it's fatal. "

" What about you and Matt? "

" That's different. "

" Why? "

She smiles. " That's just sex. "

" Not it's not. When you visited me at the hospital, you could barely drag your eyes away from his face. "

" Bullshit! "

" It's true. "

Lindsey used to live her life as if the human race was about to become extinct, like nothing really mattered. But around Matt, she goes all soft and warm. Doesn't she know this about herself? She's looking at me so seriously that I grab her face and kiss it, because I want her to smile again. Her lips are soft and she smells nice. It crosses my mind that it might be possible to suck some of her white blood cells into me this way, but she pushes me off before I have a chance to test my theory.

" What did you do that for? "

" Because you're spoiling it. Now go ask Frank if he's got the mushrooms. "
" You go, you're the one in love with him. "

I laugh at her. " We'll both go. "

She wipes her lips with her sleeve and looks confused. " OK, fine. Mikey's bedroom is starting to smell weird anyway. "