Status: It sucks.

Sunburn

She Was Mine. I Was Hers and All That's In Between.

She moved away on Monday. He sat there looking through old pictures that they'd taken together. They were smiling their brightest smiles like nothing was wrong. Back when they were young, naive, happy. It wasn't like that anymore.

He quickly shoved all the pictures back in the box when he heard the bathroom door open down the hall. He didn't want her to see what he was thinking about, what he wanted so desperately to get back.

-

"No! Stop touching my hair!" She yelled at him. They were getting ready for a party with everyone from the X Factor.

"But it's just so pretty!" He laughed, knowing she hated when he messed with her hair or anything.

She swiveled around and pointed the straightener at him. "If you do that one more time, I will press this into your life."

"Into my life? That's a good one, Eden."

"Yes. Into your life."


-

He could hear her padding down the hall. He positioned himself as he was when she left to go take a shower, trying to make it look like he wasn't doing anything that she'd ask about.

"You out of the shower, Jess?" He asked as she walked in.

She nodded. "Obviously. Do you need to go take one because I don't know if there's any hot water left."

"Yeah, I should probably take one before I go meet up with the guys. We have some big meeting with Simon."

He got up off of the bed and went over to kiss her. He tried to convince himself that it was as amazing as it was with Eden, but he didn't believe it. Not for a second.

-

He watched her walk around, eyes wide open. They were at Disneyland for her birthday and she was having the time of her life being a little kid again. He was having the time of his life being with her. They went around and took terrible pictures with the Disney characters that wandered around the park. Any time they got hungry, they'd race to the nearest ice cream store and get one triple scoop cone and share it.

She looked up in awe when she saw the castle. "Wes, can I live there?"

He walked up, wrapped his arms around her waist and rested his chin on her shoulder. "Of course," he whispered.

She turned around to kiss him but cut it short when she saw Mickey and Minnie Mouse behind him. "Oh my god! We have to get a picture!"

She grabbed his hand and pulled him over to the pair. He rolled his eyes, pretending to be to cool to take a picture. He did that for a moment and then turned to smile for the camera.

-

He stepped into the shower, not caring that it was freezing cold. He just needed to stop thinking about her. But he couldn't. It was too hard. She was the first girl that he really thought he loved, genuinely. When she said she loved him, he said it back, and meant it.

He spent lots of time looking at her and how she behaved. He found that he knew what she would do when anything happened. When she was sad, she wouldn't say anything for a long time. When she was happy, nobody could get her to stop smiling.

He noticed her smile. Any time it would appear on her face, he smiled. She had two types of smiles. One she'd have on when she didn't want people to know what she was really feeling. It was a Mona Lisa smile. The other, that smile would stretch across her face. That was the real smile.

He stood in the shower thinking about all the memories he shared with her when he heard a knock at the door.

"Yeah?" He asked.

He could barely hear Jess's voice but made out, "You should get out. You have an hour until you have to be at Simon's.

He called that he'd be out in a minute and pushed the water off.

-

"Hey, get out of the fucking shower, Wesley. I need to take one."

She opened the door and walked into the bathroom, not caring that he was still in the middle of his shower.

"You're really impatient, you know," he said. His face was peeking out from behind the curtain. She gave him the scariest glare she could muster and he said, "Okay, okay. I'm getting out."

He took the towel off of the counter and wrapped it around his waist and stepped out of the shower. She smiled and thanked him.

"Anything for you, m'lady. Why do you need to take a shower so badly anyways?"

"It's ten on a Sunday night. I have school tomorrow morning and absolutely no time to shower when I get up."

He smiled at her and walked over to kiss her. "I love you," he said.

"I love you, too," she replied.


-

When he was out, he walked back to the room in the small apartment that they shared. She smiled when he walked in. He tried to return the gesture, but found it entirely too hard to replicate the genuine happiness at seeing her.

He went over to the closet and pulled a shirt off of a hanger and took a pair of shorts out of the dresser. He grabbed underwear and went to go get ready to meet at the record label to talk about the tour they were going to do.

When he was done, he walked back to where she sat in the chair in the corner of the room. She was reading. "I'm going to head out, okay?" He asked.

She nodded and he put his arms around her in an awkward hug. "Bye," she said as he walked out of the room.

He picked up the keys to his car off of the table in the front hall and left the apartment. It was a short drive to the building where he was supposed to meet Drew, Keaton, Simon, and a couple of other people, but he found himself driving all the way across town just to pass her old house.

-

"This is Eden's phone. Sorry I couldn't answer it, but leave a message and I'll call you back as soon as I can!"

He listened to that on repeat for the entire week. He couldn't concentrate, and it was the only way he could hear her voice. He didn't know what he did wrong, but it had to be something he did. Why else would she just leave?

He woke up the morning before and found that all of her stuff was gone. She didn't have that much, but he thought it was crazy she could get that all together that night and be gone in the morning. She didn't even leave a note.

"This is Eden's phone. Sorry I couldn't answer it, but leave a message and I'll call you back as soon as I can!"

He listened to it again and again until he couldn't take it anymore and threw his phone against the wall. It fell to the ground, the screen cracked in a million different places. He put his back to the wall and slid down so that he was sitting against the wall. He dropped his head in his hands and just sat there.