Can't Fight the Moonlight

Four

“Hello beautiful,” the voice whispered in her ear. Willow nearly swooned and turned her head to lock eyes with Marc.

“What are you doing here?” He settled into the seat beside her. It was mid October and home opener for the Charlotte Checkers.

“Lockout. Thought I’d come support my baby brother. Is that a crime?” Willow stared at him and Marc smiled. “I wanted to see you too,” he said quietly. Willow blushed and Marc let his hand brush against her thigh. Willow saw Brynne walking up the stairs towards them and she shrugged his hand away with a pointed look.

“Hi Marc,” Brynne said. “I’m surprised to see you.”

Marc grinned easily and put one arm behind Willow on the back of the chair. He patted the empty seat beside him and Brynne dropped into it. “I brought Jordan. Not sure where I lost him though.” Brynne’s face lit up in a smile and she scanned the arena for Jordan.

“How’d you know where to find us?” Willow asked.

“I asked Zoe. She’s a wealth of information that one. I hear you and Jared have been particularly close since he came back to town.” His eyes darkened as he thought about what Zoe had told him. Willow flushed and dropped her eyes from Marc’s gaze. Eric and Jordan interrupted them then as they climbed the stairs.

“Ladies,” Eric said. He leaned down and kissed Willow. Her eyes went wide when Eric’s mouth found hers. “Every girl wants three Staals to compete for her, right?” he whispered to her as he took the empty seat beside her. She gaped at him open mouthed. He grinned, and with a low chuckle leaned close to her so only she could hear. “Just teasing, I promise. You don’t have to worry about me. Just needed to see what the fuss was all about. Still gotta worry about Marc and Jared though."

“Oh good lord,” Willow muttered. “What have I gotten myself into?” Eric laughed.

“You have no idea. Marc is shooting daggers at me right now," he whispered to her. He sat up and looked across his brothers and asked the question they all wanted to hear about. "What’s going on with you and Jared?”

“We’re just friends.”

“Really? That’s some jersey you’ve got there, friend.”

Willow felt her cheeks grow hot again as she peered down at the polar bear crest on her red jersey. "I bought this fair and square last season. Had to outbid this crazy family that had a 'buy all the jerseys' motto."

Eric laughed. "You paid money for that? Next time put your money into something good, like mine."

Willow grimaced. "I hate the Hurricanes."

"What?!" Eric and Jordan exclaimed. "You support our farm team though," Eric continued.

"I support Jared," Willow explained. "I only started watching hockey two years ago after we met. As I am Tito's only fan and president of his fan club though, here I am."

Marc laughed. "You just broke both of their hearts," he said with a broad grin. "How do you feel about the Rangers?"

She contemplated his question, staring thoughtfully at him. "I could learn to love the Rangers," she flirted. Marc smiled victoriously and Jordan rolled his eyes.

"You know your boyfriend may eventually be a Cane, right?" Jordan asked.

"You're getting traded, Marc?" She joked. Eric laughed. "Jared is not my boyfriend. We're just friends."

"But you've gone out a few times since he got back, yes?" Jordan pressed. Willow gave him a look. "You're dating now?"

Willow sighed. "We're not anything. We've had dinner a couple times, went to the movies once and hung out at Zoe's club with his teammates a few times. I'm still not sleeping with him."

"Much to his dismay," Eric added. She smacked his arm playfully. "What? He calls me. I know things," he said cryptically.

Marc rolled his eyes at Eric and reached behind Willow and punched him. Eric glared at him. "What are you doing after the game?" Marc asked Willow.

"I told Jared I'd meet him at Sinners. You know, Zoe’s place?" Marc frowned. "Are you guys going?"

"Yes!" Jordan said excitedly. "Zoe promised to pick up my tab."

At the end of the game, Willow and Brynne rose from their seats as the crowd inside thinned out. The boys followed them down the stairs. The girls began to head left to make the short walk to Sinners and the guys right to meet up with Jared before heading over.

"I'll walk with you two," Marc offered, putting an arm around Willow and pulling her close to him. "You shouldn't be out by yourselves."

Brynne gave Willow a look and she shrugged. "It's two blocks," Brynne said. "I think we can manage just fine."

"If Marc's going, I'm going," Jordan said, stepping close to Brynne and grabbing her hand in his. She smiled up at him and let her protests fade away.

"Well hell," Eric sighed. "If you two are going now, so am I. Jared can meet us there. I'll text him." Willow led the way outside and over to Sinners, still tucked into Marc's side with an arm around her waist. At the door, Steve waved the girls inside and the five passed inside and headed for the third floor VIP area. Jordan and Brynne hit the bar and brought back drinks for everyone. Willow spotted her sister and went over to say hello.

As she approached, she saw Snow check out Marc. "That is not baby Staal but I am going to assume its one of his brothers. Very hot," Snow commented. "I saw you come in together. Care to explain?"

"Nothing to explain," Willow answered. "They came to see Jared play and walked with us over here. Jared is going to meet us with his teammates over here."

"Does he know you're with his brother?"

"Eric texted him to let him know that they were with Brynne and I."

"And that you and?"

"Marc," Willow supplied.

"And that and you Marc are so cozy?"

"I'm friends with them. Is that a crime?"

"No but they are brothers. Just be careful," Snow warned. Willow rolled her eyes and gave Snow a hug. "Speak of the devil," she whispered to Willow as she gazed over her shoulder. "Hello there, handsome," Snow purred. "I don't believe we've met. I'm Willow's sister, Snow." She stuck her hand out and Marc shook it.

"I'm Marc. I was going to ask your sister to dance. Think you can keep my brother Eric from being lonely since Jordan is busy?" He inclined his head in the direction of Jordan and Brynne who were locked in a close embrace and oblivious to everyone around them.

Snow considered Eric from her vantage across the room. "I think I can manage that. You said his name is Eric?" Marc nodded and Snow hopped off her bar stool and crossed the room to Eric. Marc grinned as Snow ran a hand across Eric's shoulders and whispered something in his ear. He grabbed Willow's hand, leading her downstairs to the dance floor.

"That was shameful," Willow laughed.

"What?" Marc asked innocently. "I wanted you alone and unless Eric was occupied, that wasn't going to happen." He leaned forward and kissed Willow softly. "I've thought about kissing you again since you left Thunder Bay. Now, tell me about you and Jared."

"Didn't we have this conversation when we met? There is nothing to tell. We're friends and nothing else."

"Does he kiss you?"

"Yes," she admitted softly.

He pulled her body into his, and kissed her hard as all thought left her brain. "Like that?" He asked. Willow shook her head.

"Not like that." Jared’s kisses were passionate yes, but not heated, aggressive like Marc’s.

Marc smiled. "Good."

Willow frowned. "Not good. He's here and you're not. It's complicated. I like Jared and I care about him a great deal. He's one of my favorite people because he's genuine and he can always make me laugh. I know he'll always be there for me but this, whatever this is between us, could ruin that and I don't want to ruin my friendship with him. I love Jared."

Marc frowned. "You're in love with my brother?"

"I'm not in love with anybody. I just love him."

"Like a brother?"

"Like a friend. I've known him for two years and he is a very lovable person."

"I'm a very lovable person too."

"I don't doubt that for a minute. The way you kiss could make me fall in love in about two point five seconds."

"So fall for me. I'm already falling for you."

"Marc," Willow breathed softly.

"I love the way you say my name. The way you hold on to me when we kiss. I love how I can't stop thinking about you even though I barely know you. But I hate the way Jared looks at you because I know he's thinking all the same things I am. Like it or not, we're both falling for you."
♠ ♠ ♠
Merry Christmas y'all! If you feel like leaving some comment love, please do. :)

Now for some shameless self promotion....did you know I also have a Jonathan Toews story, a Max Talbot story, and this cute little Mike Richards short story going on right now? If you're not reading them you should be.