Status: In progress :>

Forgotten Apocalypse

01.

My feet were aching; we'd been running for hours on end. The forest was dark and the leaves beneath my feet were slippery, but we had no choice but to run through it. The forest really was the only place that we could truly be safe.

We reached the treeline and Ferris ordered me to drop to my stomach in the grass. Even though it was muddy and horrible, I followed his orders. A few feet in front of us was what looked to be an abandoned farmhouse. Ferris took the scope from his rifle and looked around, looking from the farmhouse, to the barn, and back again. He had to make sure that there were no zombies about.

I tried not to get my hopes up, there are usually undead shambling everywhere apart from the forest, but my heart fluttered. I might actually be able to spend the night in a dry place. It had been raining ever since this morning, and I was soaked to the bone. The rain didn't show any signs of letting up at all, so I hoped and prayed that there were no zombies around.

Ferris moved to a crouching position, and signalled to me with a flick of his hand to do the same. He slung the rifle across his back and switched to his handgun. He checked to see if it was fully loaded, and when satisfied, he put the silencer on.

"We're in luck, there's not that many about. I'd still have your gun at the ready though," he said, motioning to the holster that I had on my right thigh.

"Sure thing," I checked my gun was loaded. The silencer was already on it from the day before; I had seen no point in taking it off.

"Are you sure you can handle this?" he asked me. I punched him playfully on the shoulder. He always, always asked this before we started to explore anything. Be it a city, a barn, a block of flats, or even just a store. Every single time I manage to survive. So far.

"I'm a big girl, I can handle myself," I smile.

"Let's move in then," he said, breaking the treeline and our cover.

We approached cautiously, quietly, and slowly. One wrong move, and we could die. It's been this way since the outbreak, which happened almost four months ago. That was the worst time to be alive. But now that the undead have scattered around, mostly sticking to cities, and alot of them having been killed by the army, there was considerably less around than there was before. But the threat was still real. Smaller towns and villages usually seemed to be okay, and the forest was one of the places you were least likely to find one. Barns are kind of iffy though. It depends on where the barn is located if there's going to be a massive amount of zombies or not.

Fortunately for us, there were only a few, and seeing as they were loitering about the farmhouse, we managed to sneak by them without being caught. That was a good thing; with all this rain, I really didn't fancy jumping into combat mode. The only plus point of rain was that it covered our human smell.

We reached the barn, and carefully opened the large doors, ready for a zombie to make its move, and attack. However we were met with a silence that was almost eerie. The barn was dusty, and the floorboards creaked underneath us, but other than that it was no more than just an empty room, with a ladder leading up to a small room.

"We can go up there," Ferris said, as he started climbing the ladder.

I took a quick sweep around the room again. There was just mostly haystacks littering the floor, some riding gear on the wall and a few stables for horses that have long been gone.

There was a pitchfork laying next to some barrels on the far side of the barn, I walked towards it and picked it up. Walking towards the haybales, I started poking at them with the pitchfork. Most of them were empty, until I reached the last one. Pitchfork at the ready, I stabbed it into the hay... and heard a familiar, creepy moaning sound.

"Fuck!" I exclaimed, jumping back and dropping the pitchfork.