The Romantic & the Cynic

Chapter 16

Sky and Zayn hung out for another half an hour, sometimes talking, sometimes just enjoying the sun. She was amazed by change that had come over him since the phone call last night. He was relaxed and there was no hint of the loneliness that had clung to him. They didn't broach the subject of relationships again but the conversation was light and fluffy and Sky found herself laughing more than she expected.

Louis and Niall joined them after leaving the water, raining droplets down on her as they stood over her. Another few minutes and Harry and Liam called them for lunch on the deck. Zayn stood up and held out his hand to help her up and when she took it, she felt herself smile at the simple contact. The group quickly made their way to the deck where Harry and Liam had set out a spread of burgers, chips, beers, vegetables and salad for the group to feast on. The boys eagerly found seats around the food laden table and dug in.

The conversation was exuberant. Sky was amazed by the difference with Zayn fully engaged. It was as if the group were complete, the interactions easier. The group lounged around on full stomachs after the food was gone and Sky snapped a few shots before Liam stood up and asked if she wanted to do some solo shots on the beach.

"Sure," she said as she stood up herself and stretched her arms over her head. "Some shots on the rocks would be nice."

Liam nodded. "Why don't you start with Harry since he cooked lunch while we clean up?" The boys took his words as direction and broke apart from the table. Sky and Harry headed towards the group of rocks she had spotted earlier and he climbed up on them and started posing.

The solo shots were brief sessions, more formal than the one that morning. It was Sky's least favorite part of the job but a necessary one. The boys were easy to shoot, each of the used to being in front of the camera having spent hours there already.

It was late in the afternoon when the last of the shots were done, the sun setting behind Liam as she snapped the shutter closed one last time. He easily jumped down from his perch and stood in front of her.

"So, I guess it's time," he said casually. As if he wasn't about to seriously affect Sky's life. "Why don't you grab your laptop and meet me on the deck? I'll take a look at them there."
Sky silently nodded, following him as he walked back towards the house. She nervously pondered her photo selection again but squared her shoulders, took a deep breath and went to meet her near future. The two of them walked up the stairs and Sky quickly grabbed her laptop bag from in the house and brought it out to where he sat at the now empty table. She opened it up, turned it on and selected the appropriate folder.

"Here you go," she said as she backed away and leaned on the railing of the deck. "One hundred photos as requested. Take a look."

Liam nodded and started to look through the photos. He pondered each one slowly and she wondered if he did this to every person the group hired. It was a slow version of torture.
Half an hour later and she watched as he scanned through the photos on the screen in front of him, his eyes intent as each one popped up. She knew that at least three, and now maybe four, of the guys would vote for her to stay but she needed/wanted Liam on her side. If he wasn't, the others, the others may be able to convince him to let her stay but it would be uncomfortable for everyone, at least for a little while.

As the time passed, Sky began to doubt the choices she had made. Other pictures fluttered to her mind, ones that maybe she should have chosen instead. She felt a hand gently rest on her shoulder and she turned to see Zayn standing beside her. The initiated contact surprised her, even after their interaction before lunch.

"Don't worry," he said as his hand slowly fell, the contact seeming like it was a ghost on her skin. "He's just dragging this out because that's what he does. He'll take a few more minutes, nod and make a few more grunts, add a suggestion or two then give you his almighty but unnecessary stamp of approval."

"Thanks," Sky said quietly as she continued to try to stop staring at Liam. "But I would still like to get his stamp of approval."

Zayn shrugged. "I get it. We all kind of want it from him ourselves. Good luck." He stayed for a moment more before turning away and heading back into the house. Sky found herself wishing she could follow him.

Another ten minutes later and Sky watched as Zayn's predictions unfolded before her. Liam flicked his fingers across the mousepad, nodded his head at the screen, softly grunted at certain ones and finally stood up and closed the laptop before walking over to where Sky stood waiting.

"I'm surprised by a few of your selections," he said as he crossed his arms and leaned against the railing. "I would have included one of the ones with Harry and his beefcake pose. It certainly captures a particular aspect of his personality that would resonate with his female fans." His body remained stiff but Sky saw a mischevious grin teasing his lips. He remained quiet for a moment more before turning to face her and sticking out his hand.

"Welcome to the team. You are amazingly talented. Your pictures are just what we need to take the project in the right direction and I'm really excited to have you along for the ride." He spoke with a more relaxed voice than she had heard all week. "I am sorry about how I've been acting but in light of . . ." Liam paused, considering his wording. "In light of recent group dynamics, whoever we added had to be able to work themselves in, to find their own niche. And that was what I was doing. Seeing if you could find your niche. ANd you did it with amazing grace, something I didn't see coming your first day."

Sky was amazed at the words that were coming at her, not expecting them from the difficult man she had dealt with all week. "Thank you," she said in a stilted voice before facing him and taking his still outstretched hand. I must admit, I wasn't quite sure what your answer would be. You hold a pretty good polar face when you want to."

Liam laughed before pulling Sky towards him and letting his arm hang over her shoulder. "Now that you are part of the inner circle, you are welcome at the table anytime."

Liam and Sky walked back into the family room, an ease between them that had been missing all week. Liam dropped his arm when they reached the seating area. Harry, Louis and Niall all sat on the couches, their bodies clearly waiting for the result of the events outside. The only person separate was Zayn. He hovered on the edge of the room, leaning casually against the corner of the hall. His eyes were sparkling with humour and Sky smiled at him before she moved to the couches withe the rest of the group. Liam laughed yet again, the sound still foreign to Sky's ears as it filled the room.

"I would make you all wait but I think I might end up with a mutiny on my hands. She's in," he said as he set on his own body on the couch beside Niall. "Sky Benson is the official album photographer and will be with us for the next couple of months and I expect you to all welcome her with open arms." He said this with a smirk tugging at this face. Liam's words were met by loud whoops, Louis and Harry jumping from their seated position and high fiving each other before tightly wrapping a smiling Sky between them.

"I told you there was nothing to worry about. He's a big soft underneath that grump of an exterior," Louis said as he continued to keep his arms tightly around her.

"Hey," Liam said in slight indignation. "I am not a teddy bear."

"You are definitely a big, mushy teddy bear. And that is why we put up with you!"

Sky laughed while she tried to extricate herself from the two surrounding her. "Okay guys, I appreciate the appreciation you guys are showing me right now but I appreciate oxygen being able to get into my lungs." Sky wriggled her body from her affectionate new friends, taking a deep breath as she did. "Thank you and I am very much looking forward to being part of the One Direction team for the next couple of months." Sky looked at all of them in turn seeing acceptance from each of them, including from Zayn as their eyes briefly met. It made her heart smile and she knew she was in the right spot.

A couple of hours later and the work day was wrapping up. "I think it's time to party," Harry cried as he entered the room wearing only a pair of tight pants and no shirt. He slid into the room where the rest of the group, each in varying stages of getting ready for the planned night out. Liam, of course, was already dressed and waiting casually on the couch, Niall was having one more snack to hold him over until they reached the restaurant they would be having dinner at andHarry and Louis were running around half-dressed, throwing clothes and staying and resting their already perfect hair. Sky sat in the middle of it, her laptop open as she finished the last of her quick edits for the day. After she slid the final photo into the proper folder, she snapped the lid shut and pushed the computer away from her.

"I must admit that I am glad to be done for the day." Sky stood up and stretched her arms over her head. "I am tired of looking at your ugly mugs."

"Louis slid himself beside her, a look of indignation settling on his face. "I take offence at that. This face is a piece of art, a masterpiece." Louis stroked his china and struck a pose, his face upturned as if to catch the perfect ray of light. "Almost as if God himself gave his own stamp of approval.
Sky nudged him gently in his ribs and walked over to where she had put her bag with the change of clothes for the night. "Even a masterpiece can be hard on the eyes after awhile." She grabbed the bag and motioned towards the bathroom off of the family room. "I'm going to get changed. Do you mind if I grab a shower at the same time?" Liam waved his hand in acquiesce and she walked across the room. "I'll be back and ready to rock out with you guys."

She took her time in the bathroom, savouring the jubilation and satisfaction that she felt. Jubilation that she was going to be able to stay and do a job that she found out she was enjoying with the full backing of all the people that she would be working with. Satisfaction at having proved that she was a capable and accomplished photographer who was able to convey the feelings and messages she was trying to with her photographs. As the water dripped down her naked body, she let a smile tug at her lips. She was going to enjoy the next two months. And now that her and Zayn seemed to have come to some sort of understanding that he hadn't quite let her in on yet, the layer of tension that had surrounded her seemed to have evaporated.

After scrubbing off the sheen of sweat from the day, she turned the water off and wrapped herself up in a thick towel that hung beside her. She took another and patted her skin dry, letting down the hair that she had put up to keep it from getting wet. She unpacked her things and slid the clothes and shoes she had brought on. They felt tight and unusual
to her, the usual wardrobe of loose clothes and sandals very different from the skinny jeans, tank top, leather jacket and heels she was currently sporting. She did a quick brush through of her hair, pinning some of it away from her face, a light coating of makeup on her face and took an appraising look in the mirror. Not bad, she thought as she tugged the tank top hem down a little to cover the slit of exposed skin. She may not be L.A. but she wasn't hick town either. It would have to do for tonight.

After one last primp and fluff of her hair, she took a deep breath and stepped out of the living room. As she did, she saw five sets of eyes turn towards her and looks she had been unfamiliar with flicker across each one. It was Harry who spoke first, launching himself over the couch and appearing quickly by her side.

"Damn," he said as he lifted her hand and twirled her in place, the heels almost causing her to fall on her butt. "I could see that you were a hot chick but you clean up even more amazing than I had given you credit for!"

Sky laughed and removed her hand from his. "I think that was meant to be a compliment. And so I will take it as one." She moved away from him and towards the door where she had set her purse when she had first come in in the morning.

"Now," she said as she slid it over her shoulder and her sunglasses on her face. "I was promised a rockstar party so we had better get going, don't you think?"