Christmas Traditions

Christmas Traditions

I sighed as I walked down the cold street in search of a certain house. I glanced down at my phone hoping to God that maybe it would just miraculously turn itself on. It hadn’t. Groaning I glanced from house to house, all of them looking similar and covered in snow.

My breath appeared as mist in front of me as I breathed out slowly and wrapped myself tighter in my jacket. The streets were deserted, it was Christmas Eve so of course they were. Everyone else was warm and enjoying their company. With voice and laugh echoing throughout house probably too loud. While I was wondering a street of a foreign country.

I cursed my parents for wanting to visit old family friends for Christmas. I cursed the day we left America to fly to Ireland to spend two weeks living with a family I had last seen when I was 5 years old. A family who had no younger children except some elusive boy who had yet to appear.

Not knowing what else to do, I slowly began to continue my walk down the snowy street, shoulders slumped and head down. It was due to this posture that I didn’t see the quiet car pull up next to me. Nor did I notice the door opening.

“Julianna?” An unfamiliar voice called my name. Startled, I glanced up at the Irish accent and stared at the face of a beautiful blonde boy leaning against a black car. My eyes widened slightly as I recognised who he was. My brain and heart raced trying to figure out how Niall Horan from One Direction was standing in front of me calling my name.

I blinked a couple of times but he still remained in front of me. I lifted a hand and buried it into the sleeve of my opposite arm to pinch the skin underneath. I winced slightly, I was apparently awake. Although I wasn’t entirely sure if pinching yourself while you slept really woke you up, or it was just what people did in movies and books?

I realised after a moment that he was still waiting for an answer from me as I continued to stare at him. I quickly nodded. A look of relief passed through his beautiful features as he stepped around the car and walked towards me. I watched him awkwardly, still wondering what was going on at this point.

“I’m Niall.” No shit I instantly thought. “Your families staying with my family. I just got back and they sent me out to look for you. You’ve been gone for a while, everyone’s panicking.” he explained to me.

I smiled sheepishly as I pieced together the puzzle. He must have been the son of the family friends we were staying with. Of course I knew their last names were Horan but who ever expects them to be the family belonging to Niall Horan. I wasn’t that much of a crazed One Direction fan to know his family by face value.

“Sorry, I went for a walk and got lost.” I explained to Niall, finally talking. He smiled largely down at me.

“That’s alright. You look cold though.” He said quickly removing his large jumper and placing it around me. My first flushed darkly as I mumbled a thank you and glanced down at the ground and allowed my dark brown hair to cover my face. I heard Niall chuckle as he placed a hand on my lower back.

“We should probably head back before everyone else panics.” He told me. I smiled and nodded and allowed him to lead me to the car.

He opened my door for me, then quickly ran around to his side and jumped in the car. He immediately turned the heat up as I sighed in bliss allowing the heat to practically thaw at what felt like my frozen skin.

“You were close to home. Just heading the wrong way down the street.” Niall explained to me softly as he reached the end of this street and turned left, straight away turning left again into another street. I blushed darkly as I realised that I was one street away from the house.

“Oh my god,” I muttered to myself and placed a hand over my face in embarrassment. Niall’s chuckles filled the car from my embarrassment.

“It’s okay love. I’m sure it happens to a lot of people.” I glanced towards his amused face and I knew he was just saying that to make me feel better.

I laughed at him before climbing out of the car the moment he parked it. The front door flew open and my parents flew out of the door followed by Niall’s parents.

“Thank god you’re okay!” My mum squealed, wrapping me up in a hug. My head was instantly buried against her chest as she squeezed me as tight as possible. I manage to eventually pry myself out of her arms.

“Sorry, I got a little lost but thankfully Niall found me.” I said softly turning to smile at Niall. He smiled back at me largely.

“Anything to save a pretty lass.” He winked at me. I blushed darkly. Our parents exchanged looks before ushering us both inside into the warm atmosphere of the house.

“God it’s so weird to see you two together so much older. I remember when they were younger.” Niall’s mum announced the moment we made ourselves comfortable on the couches. My mum instantly nodded.

“Yes, little Niall used to chase my Julianna around the house trying to kiss her.” My mum said loudly laughing. I glanced at Niall to see him extremely red in the cheeks. “I also remember Juli used to purposely allow him to catch her.”

“Mum!” I whined resting my head in my hands in embarrassment.

“Why don’t we go see how dinner’s going?” My father said ushering everyone out of the room and threw me a wink. I sighed and leant my head back on the couch.

“I think our parents are trying to set us up.” I muttered to Niall not opening my eyes until I felt the seat next to me sink in. I opened my eyes to see Niall a lot closer than he was before. His eyes twinkled with something I couldn’t quite place.

“I actually kind of remember you.” He said to me earnestly.

“Really?” I asked him shocked. I had no idea that my childhood friend had been Niall Horan. He nodded at me.

“I remember placing kissed all over your face.” He admitted. A blush slipped across both of our cheeks. I laughed and shook my head.

“I think it was a Christmas tradition. And well I know it’s been many years since out last tradition but it’s never too late to start it up again?” Niall said as I eyed him confused. His face began to move towards mine slowly. I bit my lip the closer he got. My own green eyes mesmerised by his clear blue.

After what felt like forever his lips touched mine and my eyes instantly snapped shut. I stayed still for a moment before letting my own lips moves against his. His hand came up and cupped my cheek keeping my lips against his firmly as he licked my bottom lip. I easily allowed him entrance, enjoying the feel of his tongue gliding smoothly against mine.

He eventually pulled away, both of us slightly breathless. I opened my eyes and stared into his slightly hesitant blue ones. I smiled at him earnestly, receiving a smile back immediately.

“I think I like this Christmas tradition.” I told him softly earning another meeting of my lips with his.
♠ ♠ ♠
Merry Christmas!! :D