The Mend

Chapter One

“Mika come on, we’re going to be late.” Ida told me as she picked up her pace, causing her shoulder length red hair to bounce.
“Sorry.” I quietly said picking up my pace to match my best friend’s long, sturdy strides.
“Hey, look who’s here, the orphan girl.” Came a female’s voice. Ida and I turned around to see four girls. One of them, Megan, the leader, had long brown hair and blue eyes, the second in command, Amy had long blond hair, and brown eyes, the third, Molly, had short brown hair and brown eyes, and the fourth one Morgan had short black hair and blue eyes.
“Leave her alone Megan, she’s not an orphan, so stop calling her that.” Ida told her with a glare in her lime green eyes.
“Yes she is, just because your mom adopted her, doesn’t mean she’s not an orphan.” Amy said with a humorless laugh. Ida rolled her eyes, gently grabbed my wrist, and started to walk to the brown building.
“Don’t listen to them Mika, they’re just trying to get to you.” I nodded and walked to our first class.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was doing my homework when the doorbell rang. “Mika! Can you come down here?” Ida called. When I got down stairs, I saw a man with black hair and jade green eyes, just like me.
“What are you doing here?” I demanded, fear in my voice.
“Mika, what’s wrong?” Ida asked.
“He’s Kevin. My father.” I responded.
Ida glared at him and growled, “Leave. Now.”
“Not without my daughter I’m not, you see, I have custody of her again.” Kevin responded. Fear wrenched into my body. ‘This cannot be happening.’ I thought
“Prove it.” Ida sneered. He took out some papers out of his pocket, and Ida snatched it from him. She looked at it, and then gave it to me. “Recognize anything?” She asked.
I looked at it, and immediately recognized the signature. “His partner signed this.” I whispered.
“Is he a judge?” Ida asked me. I shook my head as Kevin said yes.
“Oh really? Where does he work then?” Ida demanded.
“Does it matter?” Kevin asked.
“Last time I checked he worked at Hy-Vee, the one closest to us.” I whispered.
“Ok, what is his name Mika?” Ida asked me.
“Jacob, Jacob Anderson.” I told her
Ida got out her cell phone and dialed a number. “Hi dad got a question for you.” She paused.
“Yeah, Mika’s abusive father is here.” Another pause. “Yes she’s alright, no I don’t think so, but he claims that a judge gave him custody of Mika again. She recognizes the signature and said he’s not a judge, but Kevin, her abusive father said he is, but won’t tell me the company. Mika told me last time she checked he worked for you, so I was wondering if you have a Jacob Anderson working for you.” A few seconds later Ida smiled. “Thank you daddy. Ok will do.” She hung up and glared at Kevin. “Forging signatures is illegal. Now you have ten seconds to leave before I call the cops. One. Two.” She continued counting until he got into his car. Once he left, I sighed in relief. “Thank you Ida” I whispered. “You’re welcome Mika.”