Status: Ongoing Story

Two Worlds Collide

Chapter 1

Ava Collins sighed and pushed the papers away from her as she sat at her desk. It was late, and she was tired. She could hear the dogs and some cats calling out to her. Her shift was over in ten minutes but she felt like she has to stay to make sure all her precious animals remained okay. She worked as a vet in San Francisco, and loved every bit of it. Except the part where there was nothing you could do to save the poor thing and you had to inject them, and watch them as they fell asleep forever.
She got up from her desk and went to the back rooms where they kept the dogs. She checked on all of them, sticking her fingers through the bars of the cage as they welcomed her. She smiled, giggling as it tickled. She stopped at one cage, where one dog named Zeus slept. She frowned. He was here because of an abusive owner who beat him so badly he was about to die on Ava's table if she hadn't done anything. But she had saved him, and he was slowly coming back to life. He was a German Shepherd and Husky mix. And he was just a few weeks old. Ten at the most she guessed. She reached for the latch to the cage carefully as he stirred and then woke. She swung open the door and reached in, cradling him carefully in her arms as he rested his head on her shoulder. His big brown eyes looked up at her as she stroked his rough fur which she knew would turn soft when he started getting better.
She knew that as a vet you weren't supposed to get attached to the animals, because it could cause person issues in the end. But Ava had always let herself enjoy them. She loved seeing them get adopted and go off with great families. But with Zeus she just couldn't believe a human being could take this bundle of love and hurt it so badly. The worst part was that she, without telling anyone else, recognized that the wounds reflected the use of a crowbar.
She kissed Zeus' head and placed him back into his blankets gently before closing the door of his cage and turning away.
She ran into one of her vet techs Marissa who was just clocking in. Marissa was very...different. She wore lime green scrubs with matching lime green glasses which had tiny pink rhinestones around the edges. Her bright red hair could be seen from a mile away and her blue eyes were always sparkling with excitement. She had fake nails that alternated between the colours of the rainbow and she wore lots of rings and bracelets, which she was taking off right then before starting work.
“Ava!” Marissa exclaimed in a greeting and Ava smiled. “Are you working the night shift?” she asked and Ava shook her head, her light brown curls falling over her shoulders.
“Nope, thank God. I am wiped. I’ve been here since nine this morning.” she said and Marissa winced.
“It's nearly one. God Ava, how do you do it? A sixteen hour shift? You must be insane.” Marissa said and Ava laughed.
“Sometimes I think I am.” she said nodding, her green-blue eyes meeting Marissa's. “But I am going home now...Hopefully Macy has been taking care of the boys for me.” she said, thinking of her sister who came by after her classes to house sit and look after her two cats when Ava worked late. Her sister had a tendency of getting easily distracted.
Marissa laughed. “Have fun, good night.” she said before walking into the ICU room leaving Ava to change. She walked into the change rooms and opened her locker, taking her clothes into her hands. She striped off her regular pink scrubs off and changed into:

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=60049708

She said goodbye to the receptionist, Jean, before exiting out into the dark streets of San Francisco. She walked down the block to her car and got in, chaffing her hands together trying to muster up some warmth in the cool fall air. She started her Hyundai and drove quickly back to her apartment on the corner of Seventh and May street. She parked her car in the underground and made her way to the stairs. This building was on the more outdated side, but it allowed animals and was close to her office, and besides..It had a bit of charm to it too.
After climbing five levels of stairs she made it to her door and opened it up tiredly.
“Hey Av,” Macy greeted, eating pudding from the couch.
“Hey Mace,” she sighed, taking off her coat and shoes. “Did you feed the boys?”
“Always do,” Macy said, standing and walking towards her. “Otherwise they're loud as fuck,” Macy said and Ava rolled her eyes, laughing a bit.
“Okay, thanks, and-” she was cut off by Macy gasping.
“Guess what!?” her sister said and Ava was taken aback by Macy's suddenly crazed attitude.
“What?” Ava asked cautiously.
“I forgot at first but then I remembered just now!” Macy said and Ava nodded, walking around her sister and to the kitchen.
“Right, okay, go on.” Ava said reaching into a cupboard and getting out a box of cookies and helping herself.
“Well, you know the local radio station right?” asked her sister, coming and leaning on the other side of the counter, facing Ava, spooning another dollop of pudding into her mouth.
“Yeah sure, The Flow,” Ava nodded as Macy swallowed.
“Yeah, well, they were having a contest to win tickets to a Maroon 5 concert and so I was sitting on the couch like, 'I won't win, there's no point'. But I just decided to call so I could prove myself right,”
“You're such a retard,” Ava cut in.
“Stop! Wait! So I called,” they were both laughing. “I called and guess what!? I won! I really did!” she said. “And guess who I want to come with me?” Macy smiled.
“But what about you and Peyton? Are you gonna get a sitter?” Ava asked referring to Macy's three year old son.
When Macy was eighteen, fresh out of high school she found out she was pregnant with her boyfriend's baby. The boyfriend, Darren, ditched when she was six months along and has been raising Peyton herself with help from Ava and their mom. Ava had felt bad for her little sister being stuck in that situation.
“Yeah, of course. But I think that will be the night.” Macy smiled and Ava sighed.
Macy was convinced about these 'nights' that were supposedly going to lead her to the right guy. Ava thought she was crazy. You don't just magically wind up meeting the perfect guy on a 'night'. Especially since Macy was going off this so called 'feeling'.
“Oh Mace,” Ava said. “You're still hooked on this whole thing?”
“Hey! I didn't ask you to rain on my parade.” Macy said and Ava shrugged.
“I'm not raining. Merely clouding over.” Ava smirked.
“Well you can take your opinion and your God damn clouds to someone else's happiness. Seriously Av, you are way too pessimistic.” Macy told her and Ava just shrugged, putting away the cookies.
“I prefer to call it being realistic and not totally stuck in this fantasy that the perfect guy is gonna come along. I’m not saying he won't. But you going off this feeling is just weird.” Ava explained to her sister who was glaring at her.
“I think I know why you're single.” Macy said and Ava laughed before Macy broke into a smile.
“Wow Mace, how many times have I heard that from you? About three million? I think so.” Ava said as Macy blushed.
That was Macy's go-to argument line, and they both knew it.
“Either way, will you go with me?” asked Macy and Ava sighed.
“When is it?” she asked and Macy went over to the computer, shaking the mouse to wake it up.
“This Friday at eight at the Rose Garden Arena.” Macy informed her and Ava nodded.
“I guess I’ll have to see how it works out with my shifts. Friday...I get off at three cause I come at five in the morning.” Ava thought aloud.
“Shit Av, I don't know how you do it. I would die of exhaustion.” Macy shook her head.
“Well that explains why I’m a vet and you work as a party planner.” Ava smiled and Macy chuckled.
“Very true. Well I’m gonna take Peyton home now. He's sleeping in your bed.” she said, walking down the hall to Ava's door.
Ava watched as Macy disappeared into the door and came out with the child in her arms, sleeping. “Take him while I put on my jacket?” asked Macy, handing him over to Ava who took him easily into her arms. “I still don't know how you're so good with him and you don't have any kids.”
“Well puppies and kittens are like kids with too much hair and more behavioural problems.” Ava smiled, kissing the blonde boy's head. His hair colour matched that of his mom's.
Ava handed him back to Macy who clutched him tightly as Ava opened the door for her.
“I'll see you Friday Mace,” Ava said in the beginning of her goodbye.
“Yeah, sure.” she turned and hugged her sister.
“Drive safe,” Ava said before she left.
“Always do Av,” Macy smirked as she walked down the hall to the stairs.
Ava shook her head and closed the door softly. She turned to see her cat Sergeo at her feet. She picked up the black cat and pet him as he purred in her chest.
“Where has George gotten to? I swear if he's on the fire escape again...” she trailed to herself, looking around the apartment. She found him in one of her plants which she shooed him out of. She set the two cats on the couch as she scrolled through the results she got when she typed in 'Maroon 5' on Google on her laptop. She had to admit, the lead singer Adam was very, very attractive.
She made herself close the lid of the computer and she looked at herself in the mirror across from her which stood on two legs. She thought she was too plain to ever catch the attention of a rock star like that. Her brown hair was curly, which she didn't get because everyone else in her family had straight hair. And she was the only one who got stuck with the green-blue eyes and olive skin. She had two beauty marks by her right eye which she liked. It reminded her of Marilyn Monroe in a way.
She changed into her pyjamas and did her teeth before crawling into bed with her two cats on either side, looking forward to Friday night.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you liked the first small taste of my story! Sorry if it's moving a little slow but I do promise it will get better! Thanks !:)
Xoxo ~WritingGurl101