Status: Ongoing Story

Two Worlds Collide

Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Macy turned to Ava the next night with an astounded look.
“Okay. I am officially the most right person in this world.” she said after Ava told her about her and Adam's coffee date. “I told you so!” Macy burst with a laugh.
“Sh!” Ava said, looking to her bedroom where Peyton was sleeping. “You'll wake him!” she urged. “But whatever. You don't have any rights whatsoever.”
“I do too!” Macy protested. “I was so right! I knew you two would meet again and then connect and then go on a date, and before long you guys will be together and completely love sick with each other and it will be so cute! And then the wedding-” Macy began to rant and Ava cut her off, flustered by all these plans.
“Stop! Macy, stop right now! Nothing is happening! We're going out for coffee. We aren't eloping in Vegas! So just stop talking about it.” Ava exclaimed to her sister who pouted.
“Just wait Av, it will happen. And you'll say one day, 'thank you so much Macy for taking me to that Maroon 5 concert where I met the love of my life.'” Macy said and Ava laughed, getting off the couch and nodding sarcastically.
“Yeah, right. For sure, for sure. You keep telling yourself that.” Ava smirked, getting herself some more tea and petting George who was on the counter.
“I will Ava, I will.” Macy assured while Ava just shrugged.
“Whatever helps you sleep at night.” she said lightly.

Ava kept an eager eye on the clock that Tuesday, watching the minute hands ease along. She wished the clock would just go faster. She distracted herself with little tasks. Sweeping the lobby floor, washing the windows, clipping the dogs' toe nails and washing out cages. Eventually the minute and hour hand both rested on the twelve and she rushed out of the back room to the staff change room. She pulled off her lab coat and shirt before changing into:

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=60387950

Jean looked to her as she waved goodbye. “You have fun now! But not too much!” she winked as Ava blushed and went outside. She soaked up the sun, sighing and closing her eyes. The sun always made her sleepy for some strange reason.
She was interrupted by a car pulling up on the curb. She opened her eyes to see Adam getting out of the car and walking over to her.
He was wearing a fitted grey t-shirt and jeans as well as sunglasses. He put them on his head to see her.
“Hey,” he greeted. “Wow, you look great.” he said as he hugged her.
Ava breathed in Old Spice and something else...Maybe shampoo but she couldn't be sure. Whatever it was she liked it a lot.
“Thank you,” she smiled as he opened the door for her and she got in, thinking of how nice it was for him to do that. She had never had anyone but her grandpa or dad open the door for her. “So, where is this place you speak of?” she asked with a smirk as he smiled a bit and pulled away.
“Not too far. How was work? Make more miracles happen?” he asked cheekily and she laughed.
“Honestly, it was kind of boring.” she told him. “I had someone come in with a cat that ate a magnet,” she began as he winced with humour. “I know. I just gave them something of speeding up the process of the cat shitting it out and they gave me this look of, 'seriously?'” she laughed, as did he. “But,” she shrugged. “I couldn't do anything else.” she sighed. “And then there was one woman who was thoroughly convinced we treated people, even though there was a million and one signs telling her we didn't.” she shook her head as he laughed.
“Sounds like a whole lot of fun,” he nodded and she gave a laugh.
“It isn't exactly on the same scale of performing in front of thousands but it's alright. I like the happier side of things. Like seeing a dog go to a good family. Or a little girl telling her parents she wants every animal we have.” she smiled to herself as he chuckled.
“Well that's gotta be a bit more enjoyable.” he pointed out and Ava nodded.
“It is, definitely worth all the other stuff in the end.” she agreed. “And what about you?” she asked. “Anything big happening?”
He shrugged. “I don't know, we're putting together our tour which will be happening in the next a year or so. That means tons of planning.” he sighed and Ava felt his tiredness in his tone. “And then the promotional stuff for our album coming out. We've been in the studio a lot.” he told her and Ava thought about it.
“That would be cool,” she said and he looked to her at a red light.
“What would be?” he asked and she smiled.
“Being in an actual recording studio. It sounds stupid but I still love the whole music thing,” she said, looking out the window and then to her hands.
“Nah,” Adam shook his head. “I don't think it's stupid. I think it's awesome.” he smiled and she laughed. “Do you play anything?” he asked as they started off again.
“Guitar. That's it. I’ve tried other stuff but I’m not very good at teaching myself how to do things,” she laughed in shame as he chuckled.
“Well I could show you how.” he offered. “You could come check out the studio if you wanted to.”
“Really?” asked Ava, shocked and he nodded.
“Yeah, why not? I spend half my life in there anyways..You'd have to put up with the guys though. And I won't lie, they're a handful. Even more than me,” he told her and she laughed.
“I find that very hard to believe.” she said and he raised an eyebrow.
“Why?” he asked and she shrugged.
“You seem like the most mischievous one out of all of them.” she told him. “So I think you'd be the hardest to handle.”
“Well I guess you'll have to find out,” he smirked as she groaned.
“Do I have to?” she asked as he turned into a parking lot. He gave her a shocked expression.
“Is that an insult?” he asked as she smiled.
“Take it any way you want.” she said cheekily, getting out.
They met up and he opened the door for her. She caught the name of 'Joe's Wonderous Coffee House' on a faded green sign on the top of the building. Inside, the lights were dim and it smelt of coffee and flowers.
Ava looked around and saw that there were flowers everywhere; all sorts of flowers. Roses, tulips, lilies, sunflowers, baby's breath, marigolds, hydrangeas..And Ava's favourite, the Amaryllis:

http://gallery.hd.org/_exhibits/flowers/_more2004/_more01/Amaryllis-flower-pink-and-red-2-PAR.jpg

Ava touched the petals of the Amaryllis carefully, feeling the soft surface beneath her finger tips. She saw Adam waiting for her, and blushed before catching up to him.
“You like that flower?” he asked humoured as she still blushed.
“Yeah. It's my favourite actually. My mom has this huge flower garden back home, and out of all the flowers those have always been my favourite. I have my own patch back there. I see it when I go back to visit.” she explained to him.
“It's beautiful,” he said looking back to it as she nodded in agreement.
“It is,” she smiled.
“Like you,” he added as they waiting in line. She looked to him unsurely. He smirked, looking down at her as she blushed delicately. “Especially when you blush. That's my favourite.” he said and she laughed nervously, turning away.
“I can't even look at you now!” she cried, laughing as he chuckled.
“Because I’m complimenting you?” he asked and she nodded, looking over her shoulder.
“Yes.” she answered shortly and he shook his head.
“At least tell me what you want,” he said, and she turned back to him to look at the menu board.
“Just tea and,” she looked at the baked pastries. “A brownie.” she said. “I love chocolate.” she said to herself and he laughed, shaking his head as she looked to him in question.
He didn't answer her unspoken question, but instead just ordered. She got her money out to pay and he put a hand on hers, stopping her. She felt his warm hand on her cold one and thought about how he must be hating how her hands are so cold.
Ava didn't know why, but she always had cold hands or feet. It was just something about her she didn't know how to explain. It was embarrassing when people touched her hands because they were so cold. They would pull back casually, pretending to not notice it when she knew really that they did and they just didn't want to be rude.
But Adam didn't do that. He kept his hand firmly planted on hers. “Don't worry about the money, I got it.” he said and she glared at him.
“I'm sure you do. But at least give me a little dignity in paying for myself,” she said and he looked to her.
“You can't be serious,” he said and she shrugged.
“Do I look like I’m kidding?” she asked and he sighed.
“Split it, at least?” he asked and she thought it over.
“No.” she decided with a smirk, putting her money forward which the cashier took before Adam could call him back. He glowered at her.
“You really don't give a guy a chance to be a gentlemen,” he said as she laughed.
“And you really don't give a woman a chance to be independent.” she shot back with a crooked smile and he nodded.
“Touche.” he accepted as their drinks arrived.
They took them into their hands and went to a booth in the back corner, hidden away from the prying eyes of other customers.
“How did you even find this place?” she asked, looking around in wonder.
Adam chuckled. “It's a weird story, actually.” he began and Ava leaned forward on her elbows, showing her interest. He chuckled and continued. “Before my band and I were big, before we were even formed, I used to come here and sing right there.” he looked to a little black stage tucked into the side of the building. Ava ripped off a chunk of brownie and popped it in her mouth, looking to the stage. “I never really forgot this place because I first started here so it left its mark.” explained.
She nodded. “That's good. How you can come back here. I mean this place is pretty deserted, so it must be nice to get away from it all.” she guessed and he nodded.
“Yeah it is. I come here with the guys sometimes and just look at everything. There are so many memories.” he smiled. “That table there, is where Ryan spat out his coffee from laughing so hard when Mickey tripped and fell, spilling his drink. Jesse passed out on that table when he was hungover and we put make up on him while he was. Then when I was seventeen I got to second base with Michelle Ronalds.” he smirked. “Right there,” he pointed to where Ava sat.
She cringed, fighting back a laugh. “What?” she asked as he laughed. “This side?” she asked as he nodded. “Are you sure-oh shit. No forget this, there's no fucking way I’m sitting over here.” she got up and moved next to Adam, having to sit in close so she wouldn't fall off the edge. “So Michelle Ronalds. That name sounds high maintenance.” she smirked.
He shook his head. “You have no idea. She was the hottest girl in school. Long blonde hair, nice rack, had the biggest brown eyes. Of course she fell for me.” he said and she laughed.
“I think someone is a little cocky,” she muttered smirking, while he rolled his eyes and went on.
“But we came here and she was wearing this little black dress...” he trailed and she nodded.
“It's always the little black dresses,” she shook her head. “Why do guys find that so appealing?”
“Why wouldn't we?” he asked incredulously. “Black dresses are the best. Especially when they have curves...” he sighed. “Those are the ones you want.” he said and she laughed, eating her brownie.
“You are such a guy,” she said and he smirked.
“I'll take that as a compliment.” he replied brightly as she glared.
“Don't.” she said darkly before smiling.
He watched her eating her brownie and tea, her eyes flickering to the different paintings that hung.
Adam took this moment to really look at Ava. He was quite frankly surprised she was single. She didn't look like the kind to be single. Her hair fell in perfect waves and curls down her back and over her shoulders, her eyes were big and intriguing. There were all sorts of colours in them. Blues, greens, he even spotted little flecks of a gold colour around her pupil. Her smile was amazing, it lit up the room and her laugh was something he could listen to on repeat. It had a perfect little giggle to it.
“How are you, you?” he asked suddenly, and that got her attention. She looked to him oddly.
“What do you mean?” she asked and he looked to her brownie which was almost gone and her tea which he saw she put lots of sugar in.
“I mean, how can you eat a chocolate brownie and have sugary tea...You grew up on a farm and changed your mind about your career a million different times and you have a huge family who I’m sure love you and your brownies and sugary tea,” she blushed, ashamed and looked down as he laughed. “Most girls I meet are out of a job or are way too committed to it. They hate their families, want nothing to do with them, and refuse to have anything over three hundred calories.” he explained.
“Well,” she began, eating the last of her brownie. “maybe I’m not most girls.” she said with a shrug and a small smile.
He nodded. “You got that right.” he said.
“Is that a bad thing?” she asked with a raised eyebrow and he shook his head, smiling.
“No. Definitely not.” he said and she smiled.
“Then we're good.” she said and he nodded.
“I hope so,” he said as she drank her tea with a smile decorating the rim.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry that the image of the amaryllis didn't show up! I had to put the link instead, I think it's a really pretty flower! Definitely my favourite<3 Thanks for all the beautiful comments and recs! Please keep em coming! :D <3