Status: Ongoing Story

Two Worlds Collide

Chapter 5

Chapter 5

They stayed like that for a while; talking.
Adam told her about his family, his whole path to the stardom he now has, and what he liked and disliked. The stories about touring and his band, the whole touring process which Ava really liked to talk about. She teased him about his past relationships, and he did the same when finding out she dated a few nerds back in high school.
Ava did the same, explaining Macy and her situation. Then how her mom was her best friend throughout school cause she was bullied so much. Adam found it hard to believe Ava was ever not beautiful but didn't press on about it. How she would fall asleep in the hay in their barn because she would stay up playing guitar for the animals and have to rush to get to school the next morning. While they were finally leaving around four, Adam saw a tattoo on her middle back on the left side. It was numbers and a small sentence in a different language.
“What's that?” asked Adam, touching the spot as they walked out the door. Ava shivered at his touch and then figured out he meant her tattoo.
“Oh,” she said like she had forgotten she had ever gotten one. “Just something I got to remember someone by.” she said shortly.
Adam got feeling she didn't want to talk about it, so he didn't ask anymore questions as he opened the car door for her. She got in, muttering a thank you as she did. He went around to the other side as she turned on the radio.
It was a rock station playing, and she quietly sang along with the lyrics of a Def Lepard song.
Adam looked to her a little stunned. “You know this song?” he asked and she nodded.
“How could I not? All my parents ever listened to when I was growing up was Def Lepard records.” she chuckled. “My mom loves them.” she laughed as did Adam.
“That's weird. My mom loves them too.” he said and Ava smirked.
“Well looks like we have similar backgrounds Levine,” she said with a wink and he shook his head with amusement.
She gave him directions to her apartment which he followed until they were parked outside. They got out, and she invited him in.
“Sorry about the mess. My cats always make everything so crazy,” she said, dropping her purse on the table and clearing up some CD's that had been knocked over.
Adam looked around and smiled to himself. This place was so cozy. It reminded him of being back home again. There were mismatched place mats and jars, there were stacks of tea on the counter and a pile of cookies. She had a fire place with pictures of friends and family on the mantle, as well as fairy lights weaving between the photos. She had lanterns hung up around her house, suspended from the ceiling. Her couch looked old but plush, and she had cluttered bookcases and an old record player sitting in the corner, looking well used.
Adam was looking through the pictures when he was joined by Ava.
“Oh yeah, there are some good times there...” she trailed. “There's my mom and I,” she said pointing to one picture. “And my dad,” she pointed to another. “My whole family,” she pointed to one of the larger ones, showing all nine people gathered around with mountains and the ocean in the background, three dogs at their feet.
“Wow,” Adam said. “Your family is huge,” he said and she laughed.
“I know.” she sighed. “It could really suck growing up, but you were never bored. And looking back, I wouldn't have it any other way. I really love having so many people to go to.” she told him.
“It would be nice,” he agreed. A sudden meow captured their attention and they both looked down to see Sergeo at their feet. “Who's this?” asked Adam as Ava bent down, picking him up.
“This is Sergeo,” she said in a adoring voice, nuzzling his face before kissing his head. “Oh God,” she said worriedly.
“What?” asked Adam as she sighed.
“George always comes out when we have visitors. Always. If he isn't here then he's gotta be in some fucked up mess right now,” she groaned. “Mind holding him while I go see where he is?” she asked, handing the cat over to Adam who took him willingly enough.
He pet the cat cautiously, not wanting to alarm him as Ava disappeared down the hall. He could hear her calling out to George and then laughing hysterically. She came out, face red from laughing.
“You'll never guess where I found him,” she laughed more. “He was hanging by the shower curtain in my room, and his face was like, 'oh my god. What have i done? I’m gonna die. Holy fuck, help me.'” she laughed, sinking down onto the couch, Adam following along.
He laughed as pet George. “Is he the dare devil?” he asked and she shook her head.
“You have no clue the way he can get himself in weird situations. It has to be a talent or something. There's never a dull moment with George. He's either found his way into the fridge, or the cookie jar, or is hanging off of something. He got onto the fire escape once, scared me half to death.” she looked to her cat disapprovingly, but lovingly at the same time.
“Sounds pretty curious.” Adam agreed and she laughed.
“You know that saying, 'curiosity killed the cat'? Well I completely believe that is what is going to happen to George. I swear.” she said solemnly.
“I could see that,” Adam nodded. She stood up, and placed George on the arm of the couch.
“Do you want anything?” she asked. “A beer? Coffee? Probably not...We just had some. Anything though?” she asked as Adam shrugged.
“Water's good,” he said as he heard her bustling about in the kitchen. “Oh, and those cookies look good too,” he added and she laughed.
“Oh believe me, they are. I would know. I made them.” she said proudly, coming over with his order. She took the cat from him, putting Sergeo on the floor and sitting down next to him, legs tucked under her. “So?” she asked, awaiting the verdict. “What do you think?”
Adam swallowed and looked to the chocolate chip cookie. “I think you should make these all the time.” he said and she chuckled.
“I always bake. It's oddly therapeutic for me. All the stirring and measuring somehow relieves me of stress.” she told him, sort of confused by herself. He smiled.
“Well you don't need to stop anytime soon.” he looked to her book case and got up, taking a few books out. “What are these?” he asked with a smirk. Ava saw they were her high school yearbooks and gasped, reaching for them as Adam sat down.
“No! Adam! Don't!” she cried as he put them out of her reach and flipped through them.
“Just let me look!” he said and she sighed, sitting back in defeat. “I wanna see why those ass wipes hated you so much,” he said and she watched as he scanned the pages for her.
“Ava Collins...” he trailed, and then found her. “I don't get it.” he said looking at the picture that would have been taken in the tenth grade. “You weren't ugly at all.”
“You're just saying that,” Ava looked towards the other wall.
“Okay, is this a thing with you or something?” he asked. “Whenever you're embarrassed you look the other way?” he was amused by her. She turned around to stick her tongue out at him which he chuckled at. “But seriously Ava, you weren't unattractive. If anything you're the prettiest girl in here.”
She turned back to him and pointed a single finger to a picture of a girl. “No, she was the prettiest girl in the yearbook.” she said and Adam read the name.
“Shania Williams.” he read out and she nodded.
“Yep, all the guys loved her, all the girls wanted to be her...” she sighed as he looked between the pictures of Shania and Ava.
“I still think you're way prettier than her.” he said as she blushed. “She has her face caked in make up and this fake smile. And you..You're natural Ava. Much more beautiful than Shania dick face Williams.” he said and that made her laugh loudly, covering her mouth in shock at the volume of it.
They then launched into looking through the old yearbooks, and with every few pages Ava had a new story to tell. She did the majority of the talking, but Adam didn't mind. He loved hearing her talk. She was expressive and knew how to make him laugh. They did a lot of that-laughing.
It was around seven when they had piles of books out on the floor, and they had gotten themselves from the couch to the floor in that space of time.
Adam had George and Sergeo in his lap while Ava showed him childhood books, reading some of them to him, leaning on his shoulder as she did so. They had an old James Taylor record playing softly in the background while Ava read.
“This one was my favourite,” Ava said-it was a version of Cinderella but twisted so it was funny. She began reading it, laughing as she did so and Adam couldn't help himself-he laughed along at the silly children's book. “And the ugly boy is really her prince charming the whole time...” she sighed, finishing and placing the book on the floor. She turned and pet the two cats. “They really like you,” she said with a smile.
“Well they are pretty awesome cats, and I’m an awesome guy so...” he trailed and she laughed.
“You're such an idiot.” she mumbled. She sighed and closed her eyes, tired.
“You look tired,” Adam said and she opened an eye.
“Are you secretly telling me I look like shit?” she asked and he chuckled, shaking his head.
“No. I’d never tell a beautiful girl she looked like shit.” he said and she blushed again, burying her face in her hands. Adam rolled his eyes, smiling. “Stop blushing and start thanking me.” he said. “Why don't you thank me?” he asked but she didn't respond. “Huh?” he asked again and she mumbled something. “Say it louder...” he encouraged. The words,
“Because the words aren't true,” reached his ears and he frowned slightly. So she was still back in high school when people thought she was ugly.
“Ava,” he lifted the cats from his lap and onto the floor before grabbing her shoulders and turning her towards him. “Look at me,” he said with a bit of a smile as he tried to take her hands away. Her hands were warm right now, which he thought was odd because they were cold in the coffee shop. Maybe it was all the embarrassment. She laughed as he finally took her hands from her face. He wound their fingers together as she looked down. “Hey,” he used a hand to tilt her chin up. “forget all those people. Okay? Because they are the ugly ones, not you. They were just scared because they knew that you were the girl everyone was gonna love, so they had to put you down to avoid that.” he told her sternly. “You, Ava,” he said, looking her in the eye. “Are a gorgeous person.” he finished.
She looked to him and sighed as she thought about his words. “I just..I don't see it.” Adam was about to object but she stopped him. “But!” she said with a small smile. “Thank you,” she said and he smiled in approval. “I've never really had a guy compliment me so much...So I don't know how to react.”
“Well those other guys who didn't, had no idea what they had.” Adam said earnestly, looking her in the eye. He found himself counting the colours in her eyes. He had gotten to five when he realized he was staring. He didn't let his gaze drift but just said, “You have the most amazing eyes. There are so many colours...” he trailed. She looked down, blushing but he stopped her. “No! Wait! I’m not done counting.” he said and she groaned, looking back up to meet his eyes.
“Well, it's only fair I count too.” she said and Adam smirked.
“Feel free,” he mumbled. He was at six when she giggled.
“Stop blinking,” she said.
“What do you mean stop blinking? I have to blink!” he exclaimed and she laughed more.
“Dammit! I lost count!” she cried. “Now I have to start all over.”
“That isn't necessarily a bad thing,” Adam smirked as she stared at him again.
“You're such a flirt,”
“I prefer to say charmer, but that works too.”
“And irritating,”
“Ouch, irritating. That hurts,”
“Good. I hope it does.”
“You know I didn't take you as the kind of person that wished pain upon people,” Adam said and Ava shrugged.
“Certain people are an exception,”
“Oh, and am I on that list?” he asked and Ava smirked when she finished.
“We'll see about that.”
“Six and a half.” Adam stated and she raised a brow.
“Six and a half? How can you have six and a half colours in your eyes?” she asked and he leaned closer as Ava blushed at his closeness.
“Well there's this shade of blue which is almost its own, but not quite..Looks a little like this other blue so I’m calling it a half.” he explained and she nodded.
“Right. Okay, well I got five for you.” she said and he sighed.
“You beat me.” he said defeated and she smiled devilishly.
“Get used to it,” she said laughing. “We should probably eat, hey?” she asked, standing up and going to the kitchen.
Adam followed her and inside he was wishing they had stayed on the floor, so close. He watched her as she went around her kitchen, looking for things to eat.
“How does grilled cheese sound?” she asked and he raised a brow. “I was going to go grocery shopping after coffee, I wasn't planning on it going this long. Not that I mind,” she rambled. “But that's all I really have,” she finished and he smiled, amused and nodded.
“Grilled cheese sounds great.” he said, going around the counter. “Where's the bread?” he asked and she pointed to a cupboard as she got the cheese.
They prepared the meal, chatting absentmindedly before the sizzling of the bread on the pan sounded. Ava made chocolate milk for the two of them to have with their grilled cheese, and they ate happily at the counter.
Adam couldn't believe how real this girl was. She was the only girl he'd dated that made him genuinely nervous. He was used to overly confident, amazingly beautiful (and they knew it too) girls that threw themselves at him.
But Ava was shy and cute. She was silently radiant, and wasn't afraid of laughing too hard like the others. She had quirks and little things about her that Adam was already liking.
They moved from the counter back to the couch where they watched the comedy channel. Ava was curled into Adam's chest and he had an arm draped around her.
Adam looked back to see Ava wasn't actually watching TV, she was distracted by his tattoos.
It wouldn't be the first time a girl took an interest in his tattoo's, but they usually commented on it. They would say,
“Oh your tattoos are so hot,” or “I love your ink,” but Ava just looked them over carefully, quietly. Adam watched her for a moment, wondering what she could possibly be thinking when she looked up, locking their gaze. Adam just stared at her for a minute, and he wasn't anticipating this, but Ava reached up and kissed him.
Adam kissed her back carefully, not wanting her to rush into anything she would regret. But Ava pushed him back into the couch, resting on top of him, lips still locked. Adam moved her hair out of the way as things got more heated. Adam locked his hands around her hips as she wound her arms around his neck, bringing him up and closer to her.
This time he pushed her back onto the other end of the couch, and when he did so she broke off, breathing heavily.
“I'm sorry.” she said suddenly. Adam was confused.
“What? Why?” he asked and she shook her head, running a hand through her hair.
“I rushed you into this. I rushed everything. I’m sorry, i just...I've been wanting to do that for a really long time. Like, ever since I met you and then I was stupid and thought 'why not?' so I did now things are all screwed up.” she rambled worriedly.
Adam chuckled. “Ava, you weren't rushing anything. This whole time I’ve been fighting the urge to kiss you. So the fact that you did it first is fine with me.” he said and she looked to him and then laughed a little.
“Oh thank God. So you're okay with this?” she asked and he laughed.
“Did it look like I was wanting to stop?” he asked and she smiled, blushing.
“Not really...” she trailed and he nodded, leaning in again.
“Then you have your answer.” he smiled, kissing her again.
He trailed down her neck and jaw line, and she giggled when he got right under her ear. “That tickles,” she said, shrinking back a bit and Adam smiled.
“Good.” he said, and he kissed her one last time on her lips before turning so they were cuddled up on the side of the couch. They actually watched TV this time, and Adam every couple minutes would lay a kiss on her hair or her shoulder, like a reminder that he was still there.
Ava held his arm over her stomach tightly, her hands warm and soft this time. She looked up to him after a while and said with a smile,
“I think this is the longest first date I’ve ever had.” she said and he chuckled. “But, also the best.” Ava added and Adam smiled, playing with a strand of her hair.
“You know I’m glad its gone this long.” he said, still focused on the curled lock. “What time is it now?” he asked and she laughed.
“Are you really that eager to leave? Am I scaring you?” Ava teased and he chuckled, shaking his head.
“No, i just need to know because my management will flip shit if I don't get to the signing on time tomorrow.” he told her as she checked through the TV menu.
“Well, it's quarter to nine.” she said and he sighed as she turned into him, chest to chest. “We need to figure out the next time we can do this,” she said and he opened his closed eyes and nodded.
“I know.” he agreed. “I don't wanna leave.” he said, almost like a child and she giggled.
“But you have to,” she reminded and he nodded.
“Wish I didn't.” he grumbled.
They both sat up, and stood. Ava disappeared to her room as Adam went to the door, pulling on his shoes. Behind the coat rack, stuffed between some boxes, he spotted some white fluffy slippers.
Ava returned. “You put your number in here, and I’ll take this,” she reached into his jean pocket, taking out his phone. She handed over her own phone and they both typed away before exchanging phones again.
“Hey, are those your slippers right there?” he asked, pointing to the area and Ava gasped.
“Oh my gosh! Yes!” she squealed, grabbing them and pulling them on her bare feet which Adam guessed were cold. “Thank you!” she smiled, looking down to her feet and back up to him.
“You're welcome,” he replied and she looked to the door as he slipped on his leather jacket.
“I'll call you, okay?” he confirmed and she nodded.
“Yeah, sure.” she agreed as Adam brought her into a hug. Ava sighed, closing her eyes and Adam sensed her exhaustion.
“You get some sleep tonight,” he told her.
“Yeah, yeah,” she mumbled and he chuckled throatily, pulling back. “Good night,” she said, as he tucked a piece of loose hair behind her ear.
“Night,” he returned, and leaned down and pecked her lips once, softly, before she opened the door and he walked through and down the hall.
She watched him until he reached the stairs before closing the door. She sighed, looking down to her slippers, and then touched her mouth. She could still taste him kissing her.
She wondered as she slid into her bed, if maybe there was such a thing as fate...Or maybe even destiny.
Ava shook her head and laughed. Macy was getting into her head.
♠ ♠ ♠
So there was Chapter 5 for you! How did you like it? Do you think Adam and Ava's relationship is moving too fast? Too slow? Or maybe the right speed? I never can really tell because of such a hopeless romantic I am! ;) But if you guys could let me know I would love it! This was a longer chapter so thanks for sticking with me through it!
Xoxo~WritingGurl101