Status: Ongoing Story

Two Worlds Collide

Chapter 6

Chapter 6

The next day at her work Ava was typing in a patients profile when a man walked through the door with a bouquet of flowers.
“I have an order here for a Miss Ava Collins,” he said, reading off a clipboard. She looked up surprised.
“That's me,” she said, standing from the desk chair.
“Here you go,” he said, handing her a bunch of Amaryllis flowers before signing off the paper.
“Thank you,” she said as he left and just did a one handed wave.
She smiled and smelt them, sighing. She dug out a dusty vase to keep them in, putting them to stand in the hallway, so whenever she passed by them she could be reminded.
When her shift was over at five, her phone rang just as she pulled on her jacket. She smiled, seeing who it was.
“Hey,” she said.
“Hey,” Adam replied. “Did you get the flowers?” he asked and she smiled, giggling a bit.
“Yes, and they're beautiful, thank you.” she said, walking out the door and continuing into the night.
“I saw them and they reminded me of someone...” he chuckled and she did as well.
“I put them in the hall so I see them every day,” she said and he laughed.
“Someone's a little corny,” he said and she gasped.
“Hey! I don't know about you but I think being reminded I have a sweet guy sending me flowers is a nice thing.” she said, opening her car door.
“Okay, okay,” he accepted as she got in. “Not a bad idea,” he said and she smiled.
“Thank you,” she said starting her car. “Anyways, how was your day?” she switched the call so it went through her car instead. She pulled out as he answered.
“Long. But it was good.” he said and she nodded. “And how was working?”
She groaned. “There must be some award for dealing with the most obnoxious, insane, hell driven people.” she said exclaiming using her hands on her steering wheel. Adam laughed on the other line.
“I'd give you an award,” he said, trying to help and she sighed.
“Thanks, but I don't think that would count. But do you know when you're free next?” she asked and he sighed.
“Let me think...Wednesday?” he asked and she thought about her time table.
“Uh, yeah. That should work. I have the day off.” she realized, her tone brightening.
“Someone happy about that?” he asked and she nodded.
“Let me think, I get to see you, I get to wake up late, and I’ll actually have time to do stuff I want. Yes, I’m happy.” she said laughing and Adam had a smile in his voice.
“You're adorable, you know that?” he asked Ava and she immediately blushed.
“Stop it Adam, I’m driving. If I get too embarrassed I’ll crash,” she said to him and she could picture him rolling his eyes. “But, this time, could I choose the place?” she asked.
“Sure,” he said easily.
“Okay, it's just there's this cafe I love and it has the best cookies.” she said and he laughed openly. “Don't laugh at me they're amazing! You'll see,” she said surely.
“Alright, I’ll hold you to it. See you then,” he said and she smiled.
“Bye,” she said, and then hung up.
Getting home Ava was exhausted, and just wished Wednesday could come faster. She listened to the radio, and the song 'I hope you dance' by Leanee Womack came on.
Ava smiled and sung along, trying to ignore the past she had with this song. Her ex boyfriend James always said he didn't get this song, and even with her help of understanding it, he still thought it was stupid. She would still listen to it though. The reason she and James broke up was because of how different she realized the two of them were. They were constantly arguing, and she would end up either so angry she couldn't think straight or crying in bed. Neither were things she thought should come out of a relationship. They broke up eight months ago..It hadn't been easy for Ava to forget James, because he would pop in little ways like this one.

She forced herself to forget about him and just focus on night time television and drinking wine with her cats.

Wednesday finally came, and waking up at ten Ava showered and dressed. She looked to herself in the mirror, taking a deep breath. She always got nervous, going to meet Adam. She looked to her high heels. That was another thing James didn't like. Ava stopped herself from continuing those thoughts and instead admired her ensemble. She wore a navy blue dress with straps, which had white stripes going across it along with her white Jimmy Choo high heels.

They are still my favourite heels even if James didn't think so. She told herself with a smile, turning her feet in the mirror across the way.

She turned the lock and put her headphones on, and it just happened to be the same song James didn't like. She texted Adam the name of the cafe and drove there quickly. She parked down the block, with the whole parking lot being full since the cafe was so popular. Getting out at the curb, the sun shone as cars passed by her, walking down the sidewalk. She walked in expecting Adam to be late, because she knew he had been somewhere else before coming here. But he got there early and he stood, seeing her and waved once. She smiled.
“Hey,” she hugged him, kissing his cheek, as did he did the same to her. He had shaved, and she was a little surprised to see him without his scruffy look. He pulled her chair out, helping her in and she smiled in thanks. “how are you?” she asked and he sighed, sitting down.
“Busy.” he said simply and she nodded with a slight frown. “It's a good busy though..Keeping me occupied.” he said as he saw her look and she nodded. “And, how are those obnoxious, insane, hell driven people you have to deal with?” he asked with a smirk and she laughed, blushing slightly as Adam chuckled.
“They're still completely obnoxious, insane, and hell driven.” she said. “And sometimes I wanna chuck my clipboard at them and say, 'shut the fuck up!'.” she said laughing, and he threw his head back laughing as she laughed too. “But that isn't 'good customer service' so unfortunately I can't. Although I would enjoy it if i could...” she trailed as Adam chuckled once more.
“It's like when I’m playing somewhere, and we have to go through all these hallways, and I always end up getting stuck behind the slowest person ever.” he sighed and rolled his eyes. “So I’m doing this weird shuffle step and I wanna push past them but they won't let me!” he exclaimed as she laughed, covering her mouth. “I go to one side, so do they. I go to the other side, and they do too.” he shook his head in a confused way. “I just don't understand!”
She sighed with a smile and he looked to her before she spoke. “So,” she picked up his menu and looked at it for him. “'the Greek salad is really good here. Also, their Sunday lunch is good too...And the-okay so maybe everything is really good.” she said, putting the menu down in embarrassment as he laughed again.
“Well I guess I can't order the wrong thing then, can I?” he asked and Ava thought about it before springing forward and grabbing the menu.
“Wait, no, you can. The thing that has this really gross sauce in it...” she trailed, scanning the items. “That one there, it's called the Mississippi sandwich and soup. The soup's weird too. Super chunky.” Ava cringed as Adam smiled, amused as she sat back.
“Thanks for that,” he said as she smiled proudly.
“No worries,”
“I'll make sure not to order that.” he said and she blushed.
“Glad I could help Adam,” she said as the waiter came up.
“What can I start the pretty lady with today?” he asked nicely, looking to Ava almost approvingly.
She didn't notice, looking down to her menu. “Could I get a passion tea lemonade please?” she asked, looking up with a polite smile.
“What size?” he asked her and she thought.
“Just a medium is fine,” she said shrugging as he scribbled down her order.
“A medium for the girl with great eyes,” he mumbled, smiling at her again, his eyes flickering to her chest for a moment.
Adam stiffened, “Yeah hey,” he said getting the waiter's attention. “I'll get a black coffee.” he ordered with a thin line of rudeness seeping into his tone.
“Of course, be right with you,” the waiter left and Ava played with her necklace while looking for something to eat.
“You know you don't have to be all short with him,” she said, still looking down.
Adam rolled his eyes. “Tell me he wasn't shamelessly flirting with you.” he said and she looked up to him.
“I'm not saying he wasn't,” she said with a chuckle. “But don't worry about it. I’m not planning on going anywhere.” she said surely, looking back down.
“Doesn't mean I’ll put up with assholes flirting with you all the time.” he grumbled as she laughed a little before fading away.
If there was one thing she had always kind of wanted in a relationship was for her boyfriend to care when other guys complimented her. James never noticed it. She was at a party once and a half drunk guy was trying to suck her face right in front of James who just bobbed his head to the music and drank his stupid scotch drink. She ended up having to tell the creep to leave her alone, after peeling him off of her, and when she asked James why he didn't do anything he just replied with,
'Huh? What do you mean? That guy was just trying to have fun'.
And she would wonder why he didn't try to stop anyone. She knew now it was because he didn't care about her. She could have slept around with guys like no tomorrow and he wouldn't of given a damn. She wondered even now if maybe he had done that and just kept it a secret from her. It was possible.
“Ava?” Adam asked, and she looked up, snapping out of her thoughts.
“What?” she asked and he smiled a little.
“I asked you why you moved from your town,” he said again and she nodded.
“Right. Oh, well I got accepted into school here, and then got a job and it was kind of too late to turn around and go back home.” she explained.
“Oh, I see. You know it's funny...I've never met one girl who has as many James Taylor records as me.” he said with a smirk and she smiled.
“How could I not?” she asked in disbelief. “He's amazing!” she exclaimed.
Then, of all the moments when it could happen, James popped into her head unexpectedly again. He had hated James Taylor. She once found him trying to throw some of the records out once, which had made her furious. Those were her things and she decided what to do with them.
Adam then explained to her how he had come to find James Taylor's music, and what he liked about it. But from then on, whenever she told a story or commented on something, she was more shy, more cautious with her answers.
Their drinks arrived and then they ordered meals, carrying on. The waiter didn't compliment Ava anymore.
Adam could tell Ava was holding back a little, but decided not to ask why. She felt bad about it, but she didn't know how to not be shy now. She was so focused on what James thought of her she couldn't help but think that maybe Adam thought the same way. Just maybe he did.
What am I thinking? She asked herself. Adam is the complete opposite of James. He likes everything I like, and he actually cares about me...I'm being stupid. Maybe Macy is right. I’m too serious when it comes to love. She told herself before she saw the waiter arrive at their table.
She saw Adam glare at him for a moment before composing himself. She smiled a bit.
“Will there be anything else?” the waiter asked as the old dishes were carried away.
“Oh, two chocolate chunk cookies please.” Ava added in quickly as he just nodded and walked away. “Can't forget the cookies,” she smiled like a child and Adam smiled at the sight of her.
“Of course not, we don't want that.” he said and she giggled.
“No, I don't think we do.” she agreed as the cookies arrived on two plates.
“Well,” Adam took hold of his warm cookie, as did Ava. “cheers.” he said and they bumped their cookies together before taking a bite.
As they chewed, Ava waited on Adam's reaction. “So?” she asked, swallowing. “It's good, right?” she asked him and he looked to his cookie.
“I think I need about seven of these a day.” he said and she laughed. “At least, at least,” he laughed, eating more of it.
They ate their cookies, happily chatting before they ordered the cheque. Ava went to pay but Adam was faster and already had his card out.
“Nope,” he said as he typed in his information. “I'm paying. You paid last time so this time it's on me.” he said and she pouted, putting her wallet away as he finished off the payment. Ava saw the waiter frown as he walked away, and as they left the cafe she looked to Adam who held the door open for her.
“You didn't tip him, did you?” she asked as he joined her on the sidewalk.
“Not a dime,” he confirmed with a proud smile and she laughed shaking her head.
“You're a horrible person,” she said still smiling and he shrugged.
“That may be so, but he didn't deserve a tip. Him even being able to look at you is the highest tip he'll ever get anyways.” Adam said, taking her hand in his.
Ava blushed and looked at him. “You really need to stop flattering me so much. I don't think it's healthy to blush so much.” she said and he laughed as they walked. Ava spotted cameras as they walked, but did her best to ignore them like Adam was. She wasn't going to ruin this over his fame.
“But what if I like seeing you blush?” he asked. “What if i think it's the cutest thing ever?” he asked her, and she took her hand from his to cover her red face.
“Seriously, this is embarrassing!” she cried, laughing. She took her hands away, calming herself down and Adam snatched her hand up again.
“It's cute,” he corrected and she huffed.
“Well you know what?” she asked. “You're just gonna have to deal with it.” she said sternly and Adam shot her a skeptical look.
“Really?” he asked and she nodded.
“I do what I want!” she told him and he laughed, throwing his head back.
“I find that hard to believe.” he said and she raised a brow, feeling more confident in herself.
“Well, you know my mom always told me about Christmas, is that if you don't believe, you don't receive.” she sung to him and he chuckled.
There was a small gap of silence and Ava thought maybe that it would be a good time to apologize for acting so weird in the cafe but then Adam spoke and started talking about all the movies his family watches every Christmas and Ava decided she wouldn't talk about it.
Not then, not ever if she could avoid it. And she felt for the first time, what's past is past.
She smiled when he told her that his sister Julia once laughed so hard in Home Alone that hot chocolate came out of her nose, and landed all over his brother Micheal's shirt. He went on saying how no one could stop laughing for ten minutes while Micheal ran around trying to clean himself up.
“That sounds like a good Christmas.” she smiled and he nodded.
“It's always crazy every year at the Levine house.” he said and she shrugged.
“I think crazy can be good for a family. Keeps them sane.” she said with a wink as he laughed.
“No kidding.” he sighed. “Hey, I was wondering, could you come check Frankie out? I would schedule another appointment it's just that with being so busy it's kind of hard.” he said and Ava nodded.
“Sure. I’ll meet you there?” she asked and he nodded.
“I'm down another block but if you wait you can follow me there.” he told her and she unlocked her car.
“Yeah, no problem.” she said and he held up a finger.
“Wait, there is one thing i still need from you..” he trailed uneasily and Ava's brows pulled together in confusion.
“Okay, what?” she asked and he smiled cunningly before leaning in and pressing his lips to hers, pushing her against the door of her car. She smiled into the kiss, putting her hands on his chest. He pulled back, smiling at her. “So...uh anything else? Cause I don't mind-” she said before he kissed her once more and then pulled back fully this time.
He smirked, humored by her. “I'll see you,” he said, waving and walking away to his car.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay! So I did take into consideration some of the comments you guys left me, and I really do appreciate it! But I have a few questions! Since I'm so new to Mibba, and all I did was read and never post anything I need a little help ;) So here is what I'm wondering:
1- Whenever I past my chapters in, they are spaced out in my document but not when I paste it into the box in Mibba. Is there some way you can get your paragraph lines so be spaced out?
2-Can you italicize/underline/bold in Mibba somehow?
If you guys could help this newbie out I would really owe you one! Thanks a lot!
~WritingGurl101