Status: Brand new and active!!

Far Over The Misty Mountains ...

Defending Bilbo...

“There is a secret door way in the side of the mountain, here” Gandalf prodded at the spot on the map with one long, bony finger. “It is big enough for men or Dwarf to pass through, but far too small for a large dragon such as Smaug.” The company nodded as they all studied the map intently.

“If it is secret, how are we to find it? This map tells us not how to open the door.” Oin said as he looked over the top of his small, round glasses, his beady eyes fixed on the age worn ink.

“The map will have more to tell than meets the eye, you know as well as the rest of us how our people protected what is ours, with methods known to only a few.” Balin scolded the younger dwarf quietly.

“Oh, Thorin, I entirely forgot, this ...” Gandalf exclaimed as he fished through a deep pocket in his robes, “Is yours. Your father entrusted it to me for safe keeping, until I had tracked you down, which, if I may say, was jolly hard.” he handed the dwarf king an intricately carved key. Thorin eyed the object warily, as if unsure of its purpose.

“That, is the key to the mountain door.” Gandalf cleared up, seeing the strange look in his companion's eye.

“So” Bilbo piped up, finally wanting to chip in to the conversation, “If you have a key, why would you need a burglar? Me, especially?”

Dwalin looked up from the map to the Hobbit, a strange glint in his eyes, one Bilbo especially did not like. “We need someone small, someone who can go unnoticed, that can sneak past Smaug. A creature he will not readily know the smell of, as he certainly has the whiff of Dwarf up his nostrils.”

Bilbo choked on the mug of tea he had made in an effort to calm himself after the prior excitement of the evening. “Me? Sneak past a dragon? Oh, no no no, You will have to find your burglar elsewhere, I am a quiet Hobbit who likes to keep a quiet life.”

Calla looked up from the book she was pretending to read when she heard the stuttered statement from her cousin. She knew as well as Bilbo did, that he had always had dreams of leaving Hobbiton for an adventure, not quite settled with the idea of just living his life out in Bag-end in front of the fire with a full pipe. When they were young they used to play games about adventures, meeting the other peoples of middle earth and becoming wealthy and knowledgeable from their journeys. But know that he was faced with the offer of one such adventure, Bilbo was shying away and refusing to be a part of it.

“I had my doubts as to whether you would be able to help us.” Gloin said in a deep and booming voice, his eyes narrowed at Bilbo.

“He can't even defend himself in battle Thorin, you know he would only weigh us down, there has to be another way.” chimed in Nori, his voice also laced with a threatening tone.

“Bilbo Baggins has much to offer, he my hide it well, but I can assure you, he would be an ally on your journey.” Coaxed Gandalf, trying to calm the sudden tension that had descended onto the room, all the dwarves eyes fixed on the Hobbit.

“I fear you are over estimating your friend Gandalf. He has shown to be nothing but a coward when talking about what we may come to face.” murmured Thorin, his heavy baritone barely above a whisper, but he still managed to command the attention of everyone in the room.
Calla in her chair in the corridor, enduring the silence for a moment longer before snapping her book shut loudly, deciding to support her cousin. As she entered the room, she gave a downtrodden looking Bilbo a smile, and reached out to him, squeezing his hand gently trying to bring him comfort.

All eyes were now settled on the young female hobbit, who's face had a look of thunder, her dark eyes shining in anger and her eyebrows brought together in a sharp frown. The dwarves waiting with baited breath for what was to come next.

Dropping Bilbo's hand Calla advanced to the table, casting her eyes across the faces of all thirteen men. “How dare you come in here and call Bilbo a coward! He has the blood of a Took, and Tooks have never been, nor will they ever be, cowards. He is just stunned that a ragamuffin band of Dwarves have turned up at his door unannounced, eaten his entire kitchen's worth of food, and almost demand that he join them on a dangerous quest. Give him time to think it over and perhaps you may yet have your burglar, but treat him as a defenceless child and you will get no where. We are decent folk, and we deserve to be treated as such.”

The dwarves gaped at Calla as she finished her rant, each word leaving her mouth heavily underlined with venom. It would have been strange to any eye, a young, red haired hobbit stood reprimanding a group of fully grown dwarves like they were children, her hands planted firmly on her hips and her face stern.

A few moments of silence followed her outburst until Fili and Kili started to clap in unison. “Well, Miss Took, that was a fine telling off we received.” Fili started, a cheeky smile on his lips.

“And you certainly show that there is some passion in that 'Took blood' you speak of.” Kili finished, winking at her, his lips set into a kind smile.

“Yes!” piped up Bilbo, who had recovered some of his normal vigour, fuelled by Calla's urge of anger. “I am as adventurous as any Took. I wanted to know the terms, expenses and recompense that may arise from me joining your company.”

Thorin nodded, and took a scroll from Balin, passing it to the Hobbit

“Very well Master Baggins, read away.” he murmured, but his eyes never left Calla's face. “You certainly have some fire in you, Miss Took.”

He stood from his chair, and walked towards the tiny red head, stopping just before he reached her, his eyes studying and taking in every detail of her, “Tell me, do you know how to fight?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello all! thank you so much for reading and commenting! once again, I'm very grateful. I have been asked a few times whether I should make this a Kili/Calla/Fili love triange, What are anyone's thoughts? I'll happily take everyone's input into consideration!

Happy reading all!

p.s: In case anyone is wondering they will set off onto the journey in chapter 5 ...