Status: In progress c:

Heart's in Baltimore

introduction.

I wasn't sure where exactly I was headed to. All I knew was that I needed to get out of Baltimore, Maryland and I needed to do it now. I needed to get as far away from the city as I possibly good.

As I pulled into the Baltimore-Washington International Airport, I felt the guilt burning inside my stomach. I knew leaving my friends behind wasn't the answer to my fears, but I needed to clear my head.

Who knows? Maybe I would be back in a day or two, maybe a few weeks at the maximum.

Hands trembling beyond belief, I watched the taxi I was in pull into the airport parking lot. I had already explained to my mother and father before I left my house that I had to leave, also informing them as to why I was bolting out of my hometown so quickly.

Wiping the tears from my eyes, the cab driver's rough voice pulled me from my thoughts. "That'll be twenty-eight dollars and thirty three cents, miss."

"Oh, right," I smiled tightly at the older man, fishing a twenty and a ten out of my purse.

"Here's your change. Enjoy your flight," the man waved at me, popping the trunk open for me to retrieve my luggage.

"I'll try."

Rolling my red suitcase across the sidewalk and into the airport terminal, I felt the guilt become heavier on my shoulders. You have to do this, I kept reminding myself.

I found myself in front of the board that flashed the flight times and destinations. Glancing at my phone, I took note of the time - 6:13pm. The closest flight timewise was a 7pm flight to Seattle, Washington.

I did the necessary procedures to recieve my ticket. Once I boarded and sat down in my seat, I felt my cell phone vibrate in the pocket of my skinny jeans.

The screen lit up with the words "1 New Message!" and a picture of Alex Gaskarth.

I felt like a hole had opened up in my heart. I quickly opened it, feeling even worse as my boyfriend's words sat in front of my eyes.

"I love you, Riley. :)"

I quickly deleted the text message, not bothering to reply. I was doing this for the both of us. I was doing this for everyone.

Word about Alex's rumored proposal to me had gotten around and found its way back to me.

I knew that perhaps leaving the state and flying to the other side of the country because of my fears was an overreaction. I also knew that me leaving would let Alex realize that he was a lot better without me. That he was better off with another girl.

"Please turn off your laptops and/or cell phones. The flight to Seattle, Washington will begin shortly. Thank you for choosing Baltimore-Washington International Airport for your travels."

This was it.

I stared outside of the window, seeing my hometown for one last time.

And with that, I left my heart in Baltimore.
♠ ♠ ♠
Rewrote the prologue! I decided it'd be better to show what Riley was thinking while she was leaving. :)