Status: Once a day!

Atlanta

A Friend

There was a generally happy atmosphere that morning. Amy and Andrea had been out canoeing, and returned with enough fish to feed ten families. Sure, we had plenty of food already, but there was something about fresh food that just made it that bit more special. It wasn't until Dale came slumping into the group that we knew something was up.

"I...I don't wanna alarm anyone, but we may have a bit of a problem." He pointed to the big hill, where Jim stood, digging, and digging, and digging....

"Come on." Shane was the first to move, and everyone followed fast behind him. Once we reached the clearing, he was still digging. He looked absoloutely exhausted, and sweat patches were forming all over his shirt. It wasn't until then that I realised what he was digging. Graves. "Hey Jim?" Shane asked, trying to get his attention, but was unsucessful. "Hey why don't you just hold up for a minute, give us a second, please?" Jim finally stopped, resting on his shovel.

"What do you want?"

"Just a little concerned man, that's all."

"Dale says you've been out here for ours." Morales added. Seemed likely.

"So?"

"So why you diggin'?"

"Doesn't matter, i'm not hurting anyone." He went back to digging, and I scoffed lightly. Sure, not by making us worried or anything.

"Maybe not us, but you're hurting yourself! It's 100 degrees today! You can't keep this up!" Dale reminded him, concerned, but he just continued what he was doing.

"Sure I can! Watch me!" I began to get increasingly worried, and couldn't stop myself from interjecting.

"Just tell us what you're up to, will you?" I asked, and he sighed.

"None of any of your business, that's what." I rolled my eyes, getting increasingly frustrated.

"You're scaring us, okay? You're scaring Carl and Sophia, too." He stopped, out of breath, but not yet defeated.

"They got nothing to be afraid of. My god people, i'm up out here on my own, so why don't y'all just leave me the hell alone?"

"We think that you need to take a break, okay?" Shane took a step forward. "Why don't you go have a shave, get some food, get- in fact, tell you what. Take a break and when you come back i'll...i'll help you myself. Come on Jim, just tell us what's up and give me the shovel."

"Or what?" I decided to step back, knowing what was imminent.

"There is no 'or what'. I'm asking you, i'm coming to you and i'm asking you, I don't wanna have to take it from you."

"And if I don't, then what? Are you gonna beat my face like you did with Ed, huh?" I took a deep breath. That was unecessary. "Y'all seen his face? Or what's left of it." He addressed everyone, making us feel even more uncomfortable. "See that's what happens when someone crosses you."
"That was different, you weren't there! Ed was out of control. He hit Carol." I called out in Shane's defence. Jim stopped, getting infuriated.

"That is their marriage, not his. He is not judge and jury. Who voted him king boss, huh?"

"It doesn't matter! It was wrong!" I called out, but he was too busy arguing with Shane. "God!" I groaned as I turned to face away from the fight. Carol squeezed my shoulder reassuringly, but the sound of grunting meant more fighting. Of course. I had been getting sick of all the fighting and the arguing that seemed to take place every single day, and it was not a good atmosphere to be in when you're trying to hold onto what little hope is left. I turned and walked away, yet again, straight to the clearing behind the tents. The quarry seemed to be my place of solace once or twice, but now that just reminded me of the Ed incident. Sometimes Dani was already there, but she had been up on the hill too. I sat down, pulling my knees to my head, suddenly wondering whether this group was the right place for us after all. All there ever was was fighting and tears and loss and suspicion. Not just that, I had started to drift away from Dani, the only one I knew, and the only one I really trusted. A rustling in the leaves behind me broke me out of my thoughts immediately, and I sprung to my feet, forming a defensive position. Amy stared back at me, startled.

"Okay, did not expect that!" She laughed as she walked over, and I chuckled, realising that I overreacted.

"Sorry, instinctive reaction." She shook her head.

"Don't worry. There's no problem with that." I smiled, and returned to my seating position. It made me protected, safe, for some reason. "Okay, you gotta tell me what's up with you." I opened my eyes, and she was sitting facing me. "Go on."

"You don't have to waste your time on me," I offered politely, but she just laughed again.

"Why do you think i'm here?" I shrugged. Usually I could come up with some witty reply, but recently I just didn't have that function anymore.

"I guess i'm just struggling to fit in." She raised her eyebrows, and got into a more comfortable position.

"You really think so? You fit in here a lot quicker than most of us did. You would think you'd been here for weeks."

"Yet it's only been a couple of days." I finished, nodding. I had felt like I had been here forever.

"That's not all though. Is it about Danielle?" I shrugged again.

"She's the only one that I really know here; she's the only family i've got left, and we're drifting apart." It usually took a lot for me to confess something, but I guess with it being the end of the world and all, I wasn't as unsure.

"I know what you mean. Maybe you're just trying to fit in and make friends, while Danielle's just trying to stay in the background. Just talk to her, go play a game, go down to the quarry or something." She gave me an encouraging smile, and I shook my head, laughing lightly.

"You're something else Amy." She smiled and stood up, before offering me a hand and helping me to my feet. "So what have they done with Jim?" We headed back to the RV, but continued conversation.

"Shane's got him tied to a tree, thinking he's a danger to himself and everyone around him." She rolled her eyes, clearly not in agreement with him. "I mean, sure he's a bit troubled right now, but is that an excuse to keep him tied up?" I shook my head agreeing. "God, I don't even want to think about what would happen if the camp was ambushed by a herd while you were tied to a tree." I felt the shiver run up my spine, and decided I didn't want to think about dealing with that without Rick or Daryl there.

"I hope they're okay." Amy nodded, smiling.

"They're the strongest here, apart from Andrea and Shane. Especially with Daryl." I nodded, feeling some sort of weird butterflies when she mentioned him. Oh god help me.

"You think Daryl will be okay?" As soon as I asked, I mentally slapped myself, hating that I drew attention to it. Not to mention, Amy was so good at reading people...

"Yeah, i'm sure he will. Why? Why him?" She gave me a knowing smile, and I groaned in defeat.

"I can't help it. And it's annoying me. It's the last thing I need in a time like this." She nodded, understanding, but was still greatly amused by it.

"Daryl's a bit too tough for me. But he's nothing like his brother, thank god," -OH YES GOD PRAISE EVERYTHING THANK YOU- "but i'd be careful Michelle, Daryl's not very open about feelings. If he has any." I nodded, taking it in.

"Thank you. Again." I gave her a wide grin as we shared a warm hug. I was so happy there was someone like her here. I'd probably break down if she wasn't here.
♠ ♠ ♠
*COUGH*FORESHADOWING*COUGH*

Yay more comments and readers and subscribers! This makes mee haaapppeeeee!!! :D:D:D

I love hearing what you all think of this, so keep it coming! ^.^
Oh! And should I update maybe a little earlier on in the day? Idk, does it matter? Idk don't lsiten to me, i'm tired xD

Anyway, our school's doing Anything Goes, and i'm auditioning tomorrow so YAAAY! And I have a plaster on my hand from where my dog scratched me, and I keep thinking it's a penny....
....because you needed to know that....

Goodnight!
Shanice <3