Status: Once a day!

Atlanta

Escape

I barged through the front door, completely breathless, and headed straight for my room.

"Someone's in a hurry!" I heard Dani call from the living room, and I dashed back to where she was.

"Dani, you-"

"Woah! What the hell happened!?" She asked, muting the TV and getting a proper look at me. The horror must have been radiating off of me.

"There's no time, just pack everything that's important to you." I set off for my room again, but she leapt up to grip my arm.

"Why!? What's going on Elle?" I stared directly into her eyes, mentally begging her to accept what I was about to tell her, and immediately begin packing, like I was desperate to do.

"Remember what your mum was always afraid of? It's happening, okay? You need to get clothes, whatever food we can, things like that, okay?" She let go of me immediately and stepped back, trying to process the information, but she was struggling. I groaned in frustration and with impatience, but jumped into my room and began snatching shirts, jeans and underwear from my drawers. I scavenged my room, collected things that were most important to me - the mask my friend had made for me, letters of hope, tokens of good memories - and crushed everything into my backpack.

"Elle, what do we do!?" I heard Dani's wavering voice from the hall, and I dragged my backpack past her to the front door.

"I told you. Pack things you'll need. Clothes, underwear, toiletries, things important to you. I'll start getting stuff like torches and scissors, you just do what you need to do." I set about the living room and different cupboards collecting survival items, or really just anything that seemed useful. After shoving them into my bag, I grabbed my satchel bag and darted into the kitchen. I was tossing pretty much everything into the bag. I had no idea what appliances we would have days from now, but a vast selection meant we wouldn't be hungry for a while.

It was only a few minutes later before I had two jackets on, backpack on my back and satchel over my shoulder, and Dani was standing at the front door, wrapped up and ready to go. We both gave our beloved flat one last glance before disappearing out the door and downstairs, not even bothering to lock the door.

The air outside was even nippier than before, but neither of us seemed to care. We both knew where we were going, so our main priority was getting there. As we jogged down the street, we couldn't refuse a couple of glances to the buildings that surrounded us; all those people inside that would soon end up either running like us, or dead. I felt a longing to barge through every door and warn them of the impending devastation, but Dani was my priority. As we got to the end of the street, there was a shrill scream from one of the houses behind us. Both our heads whipped around, and Dani burst into tears.

"This isn't happening, is it? It can't happen!" From the corner of my eye, I saw someone coming around the corner, and felt the air building up in my lungs to shout out to them, but the slumped posture and gruesome appearance instead forced a scream. I whipped around and pushed Dani ahead of me, as I ran faster than ever.

"GO GO GO! KEEP RUNNING DANI! DON'T LOOK BEHIND YOU!" I heard her sobs as we kept running out of the town and toward the city. The roads were empty, and though I wished for some sense of normality, it allowed us to build momentum and not have to stop. It wasn't long before we were into the city, and heading for the warehouse. We slowly stopped to get a sense of bearings, and catch our breath. I looked up at Dani lethargically, but all my senses perked up when I saw one, directly behind her.

"DANI!!!"
♠ ♠ ♠
I'd just like to say thank you very much for all the support so far!
A very big thank you for the reccomendation, and especially the subscriber! The little things mean a lot, and I have high hopes for this story, so I hope it will please!

Don't be afraid to leave comments - I love hearing what people think about my stories. Something you don't agree with, something you didn't like, something you want to see more of? Feedback is very much appreciated.

Thank you!
Shanice <3