Sincerely, Poppy

6/8/2013

“Good morning Poppy.” Dr. June Glasgow, Poppy’s therapist, greeted her.

Poppy smiled, “Good morning June.”

“How are you feeling?” June asked.

“I’m nervous.” Poppy admitted.

“What about exactly?”

“Everything.” Poppy said laughing. “No uhm…a lot. What if he doesn’t show? Or what if like meeting me actually freaks me out? Or what if he doesn’t like me?” Poppy asked bringing the sleeves of her sweater over her knuckles.

“He told you he was going to show, didn’t he?” Poppy nodded, “and you trust him?” Poppy nodded again, “Then you need to trust his word that he’s going to show. He hasn’t given you any reason to worry. It is scary meeting someone you’ve shared so much of yourself with but it’ll be okay, Poppy. Now why don’t you join everyone else and wait for Logan, yeah?”

Poppy nodded and gave her therapist one last smile before walking to the lounge where the other patients were waiting for their families to arrive. Some of the other patients tried to talk to Poppy but she was too nervous to really hold conversations with them luckily though, they understood and left her alone after a while. Poppy twisted and turned in her seat, patting her hands on her legs and trying to stay calm. After twenty long minutes Poppy’s name was called to the lobby of the treatment center. Poppy’s breath hitched in her throat and her heart started racing as she got up and quickly made her way to the lobby. She slowed down once she got to the doors and took a deep breath before finally opening the door and walking into the lobby.

Standing by the check in desk was Logan clad in a black sweater and jeans, classic vans adorning his feet. Poppy couldn’t think of a simpler outfit but she also couldn’t think of anyone who could make it look as amazing as Logan does. It’s one thing seeing him in movies and on TV and writing him letters but it’s another seeing him in person. Upon seeing him and realizing he’s here, he cares enough to be here, Poppy stopped walking paralyzed by the feeling of actually seeing him standing just a few feet away. Poppy watched as the woman at the desk say something to Logan which made him look right at her.

Logan smiled and thanked the woman before walking up to Poppy, “Hey.” He whispered with a smile still playing along his lips.

Poppy smiled and giggled throwing her arms around Logan’s waist as Logan wrapped his arms around her neck. She took a sigh of relief and hugged Logan closer, nuzzling her face into his chest as fresh tears filled her eyes. She tightened her grip around him trying to will the tears away but with no luck. Logan didn’t seem to mind and simply held onto her tighter, kissing the top of her head and rubbing her back.

“Sh Poppy, it’s okay. I’m here now, I’m here. It’s okay.”

Poppy couldn’t help but start crying a little harder at the sweet nothings and clung to Logan even tighter. Expecting Logan to just walk away from her, she was surprised when he just rocked her back and forth until she calmed down. Once Poppy felt like she was relaxed enough she finally pulled away from Logan but he kept her at arm’s length. He smiled at her and twirled a piece of her hair around his finger.

“Your hair is purple.” Logan teased smiling.

Poppy laughed and glanced at her feet, shifting her weight before glancing back up at Logan, “Yeah, I do. Surprise!”

Logan laughed and brushed her hair out of her face, “I like it.”

Poppy blushed, “Thank you, Logan.” Poppy carefully lifted her hand and ran it through Logan’s hair, brushing it into place before dropping her hand and smiling shyly at him. “We should probably head to breakfast. Are you hungry?”

“Yeah I could eat something. Lead the way, darling.”

Poppy blushed and tried not to squeal at the use of the pet name. “This way then. Was the flight okay?”

Logan nodded and wrapped his arm around Poppy’s shoulders, “Yeah, it was fine Poppy.”
Not knowing what else to say Poppy simply smiled at him and continued to lead him to the breakfast. When they arrived in the make shift cafeteria they each got a plate of food and deciding to sit at the same table as Poppy’s roommate and her family. After eating Poppy introduced Logan to a few of the other patients and doctors before heading outside where the talk with all of the patients and their guests would take place.

“It’s really pretty here.” Logan commented as he glanced at the garden and lake.

Poppy nodded, “It’s one of the nicer treatment centers I’ve been at.”

“How many have you been to?”

‘Uhm…three?”

“Why so many?”

Poppy shrugged, “Partly because it was a big fuck you to my parents so I kept rebelling and my parents didn’t think the other places were working.”

“But they never visit you so how do they know?” Logan asked.

Poppy faintly smiled, “Your guess is as good as mine. They aren’t all to blame though, I wasn’t doing what I was supposed to do to get better. Not until I got here anyway.”

“What’s different about this place?” Logan asked.

“I started talking to you.”

Logan smiled and took Poppy’s hand in hers, “I’m so happy I could help you, really Poppy.”

“I don’t think I could ever properly thank you for everything you’ve done for me.” Poppy whispered.

“You don’t have to properly thank me for anything.”

“Yes I do.”

“Poppy…” Logan whispered.

Before he could even finish his sentence more people started filling into the lawn signifying the morning talk would be starting soon. Logan sighed and straightened out in his seat, still holding onto one of Poppy’s hands. Poppy smiled at Logan and rested her head on his shoulder as the talk began. Once the morning talk was over the patients had scheduled appointments with their therapists including their family members. While Poppy and Logan waited for their appointment the two sat outside and enjoyed the Texan sun and weather. Logan shared what he’s been up to and a few movies he’ll be working on in the upcoming months. Poppy questioned Logan on his lifestyle in Hollywood and urged him to share stories from his time on sets and hanging out with other celebrities. Although Logan doesn’t particularly love talking about his lifestyle for fear of boasting, he could tell Poppy was genuinely interested and he loved seeing her so animated about something he enjoys.

When it was time for their appointment with Poppy’s therapist the two walked back into the clinic hand in hand. When they got into June’s office Poppy sat in her usual seat on the couch bringing a pillow onto her lap. Logan smiled at the gesture and sat on the couch beside her.

“Hello, I’m Dr. June Glasgow.” Poppy’s therapist introduced herself.

Logan smiled and shook June’s hand, “I’m Logan Lerman, it’s nice meeting you.”

“You as well, Logan. So Poppy, how does it feel having Logan here?”

Poppy blushed and messed with the pillow, “It feels really good.” Poppy answered. “Really good, it feels right even.”

Logan smiled and bit his lip looing from Logan to June who smiled at between the two of them before solely focusing on Logan. “How does it feel for you Logan to finally meet the girl you’ve been helping so much?”

“Amazing.” Logan admitted. “I agree with Poppy, it feels right.”

“Is it hard for you Logan, to hear about Poppy’s struggles?”

“Uhm, yes but only because I have so much faith in her and I just want her to feel good about herself. I want her to feel better, you know? She deserves to be happy and to feel happy for herself. I’d love that for her.”

“Poppy, why are you becoming emotional?” June asked when she noticed Poppy tearing up.

“Because I’ve never had someone care about me like this. My parents hate me, my brother doesn’t know me and all of my friends ditched me the second they found out I wasn’t like them. No one has ever stuck around, no one has ever cared. It’s just…it’s amazing. I feel so lucky and privileged. I’m happy. I’m just really happy.”

Logan grinned and reached out to Poppy, bringing her into a hug and kissing the top of her head. For the remaining hour the trio talked about Poppy’s achievements and how Logan can further help Poppy. After their appointment the two decided to have some lunch and enjoy the weather again. Much like before their appointment the two just spent time together talking about their favorite movies, books and other favorites since they’ve never shared their simple interests. When they were ready to eat dinner they decided to eat by themselves to embrace their time spent together. Once they finished eating they immediately went to the rec room to get a good spot to watch the movie. Logan claimed the recliner and brought Poppy into his lap who immediately snuggled up to him, not afraid of any boundaries between them.

The two stayed bundled up for the duration of the movie and found themselves not wanting to untangle from each other once the movie was done. Logan wrapped his arm around Poppy’s shoulders as they walked towards the car park.

“I don’t want you to leave. I’m not ready for this.” Poppy whispered.

“I don’t want to leave either but we’ll be alright.”

“Do you promise?”

“I promise you, Poppy. We’ll be fine.”

“But what’s going to happen? Are we just going to go back to writing letters?”

Logan sighed and twirled a piece of Poppy’s hair around his finger, “What do you want to happen?”

“I don’t really know. All I really know is that I don’t want you to leave.”

“I’m not going to leave you, Poppy. Don’t you trust me?”

Poppy sighed and nodded, “Of course I do Logan.”

“We’ll write letters okay? But maybe we can talk on the phone a few times, yeah? And maybe I can visit you a few times. We’ll figure it out babe.”

Poppy’s heart started racing at the use of the pet name, “Okay, I trust you. I really do.”

“Good, we’ve got this. Okay?”

Poppy nodded, “Hug me?” she whispered.

Logan smiled and immediately wrapped his arms around Poppy, hugging her tightly. Poppy sighed into Logan’s chest and held onto him as tightly as possible. Finally Logan’s taxi arrived, neither of them wanting to let go of each other. Logan pulled away and kissed the top of Poppy’s forehead and wiped away a few tears.

“I’ll talk to you soon, alright?”

Poppy nodded, “Have a safe trip home.”

Poppy hugged him again and kissed his cheek before walking away from him altogether and going back inside, not being able to stand seeing the person she cares most about walk away from her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image

awkwardly walks out of the wood works. hello. hi. i know it's been a while and i'm ssssoooo sorry. i really hope this chapter makes up for it. it was so strange and difficult writing them finally together but i'm happy with how it turned out. please let me know what you think. again i'm sorry for the wait but hopefully it was worth it.