A Girl & Her Fallen Angel

Metamorphosis

Sam, Dean, and I were all parked across the street from Jack Montgomery's house. We see him enter the kitchen and take a beer out of the fridge and take a sip.

"Are you sure that's him?" Dean asks looking skeptical at Sam.

"Only Jack Montgomery in town." Sam responds still watching the man through his binoculars.

"And we're looking for...?" Dean asks looking back through his own pair of binoculars.

"Travis said to keep an eye out for anything weird." Sam responds.

"Weird?" I ask looking up at my brother.

"Yeah." Sam responds sounding a little annoyed.

"Alright, well, yeah, I've seen big weird, little weird, weird with crazy on top. But this guy? I mean, come on, this guy's boring." Dean says looking between Sam and I.

"I don't know, Dean. Travis seemed pretty sure." Sam says looking back at Dean. I sigh looking back through my binoculars. Jack continues to drink his beer but then heads back over to the fridge and takes out leftovers of a chicken. The guy doesn't even bother to use a plate or anything! Gross! After he finishes the chicken he goes back to the fridge and grabs a package of uncooked beef. He quickly unwraps the packaging and starts devouring it.

"Oh God that's gross!" I complain not looking anymore. Sam and Dean are looking on in horror.

"I'd say that qualifies as weird." Sam says putting down his binoculars. Dean starts the impala and we drive back to our motel. We all race into the room when we see a figure in our room through the window. Sam and Dean are first in the room.

"Travis." Sam says. Travis? Wait as in dad's friend Travis? Holy hell! I walk in and see him sitting at the small table with a beer.

"See, Sam. Told you we should have hid the beer." Dean says jokingly. Travis smiles and gets up to greet us.

"Smartass. Get over here." Travis says pulling Dean in for a hug.

"Ahh, good to see you." Travis says after releasing Dean.

"You too." Dean says smacking his shoulder. Travis grabs Sam and hugs him too.

"Good to see you." Travis says after letting go of Sam.

"You too, Travis." Sam says smiling slightly.

"Man, you got tall, kid." Travis laughs.

"How long has it been?" he asks glancing between Dean and Sam and then his eyes land on me.

"Ah, gotta be 10 years." Sam says running a hand through his hair.

"Jamie? Wow! Look at you! You grew up to be a beautiful woman." Travis saying picking me up into a massive hug.

"Thanks!" I say giggling after he sets me down.

"You still a.. oh, what was it... a mathlete?" Travis asks looking at Sam.

"No." Sam scoffs.

"Yep, sure is." Dean says smacking Sam's shoulder lightly.

"Been too long. I mean, look at you. John would have been damn proud of you. Sticking together like this." Travis says smiling.

"Yeah. Yeah, we're as thick as thieves." Dean sneered looking straight at Sam.

"Nothing more important than family." I say trying to break the tension. Travis walks over to the table and sits down. I join him at the table leaving Sam and Dean to sit next to each other on one of the beds.

"Thanks for helping out an old man. I'm a little, uh, shorthanded." Travis remarks holding up his right hand which is covered in a cast up nearly to his elbow.

"So, you track down Montgomery?" Travis asks looking between Sam and Dean.

"Yeah, we found him at his home." Sam answered.

"And?" Travis remarked trying to get us to elaborate.

"Well, he had a hell of a case of the munchies, topped off with a burger he forgot to cook." Dean smirked looking over at me. I grimaced.

"That's him alright." Travis sighed.

"What's him exactly?" I ask gaining Travis's attention.

"Boys, we got a rougarou on our hands." Travis answers ignoring me.

"A rougarou? Is that made up?" Dean asks looking over to Sam for the answer.

"That sounds made up." Dean chuckles slightly.

"They're mean, nasty little suckers. Rotted teeth, wormy skin, the works." Travis grimaces taking a swig of his beer.

"Well, that ain't this guy. I mean, he was wearing a cellphone on his belt." Sam chimes in.

"He'll turn ugly soon enough. They start out human, for all intents and purposes." Travis remarks.

"So, what? They go through some kind of metamorphosis?" Sam asks looking between Travis and I.

"Yep, like a maggot turning into a bull fly. But most of all...they're hungry." Travis responds.

"Hungry for what?" I ask already knowing the answer.

"At first, for everything, but then... for long pig." Travis sighs. Sam exhales looking down at his hands. Dean looks confused staring at Travis.

"Long pig?" Dean asks looking between Sam and Travis.

"He means human flesh." I say standing up from the table and pacing.

"And that is my word of the day." Dean smiles.

"Hunger grows in, till they can't fight it. Till they got to take themselves a big, juicy chomp, and then it happens." Travis half whispers looking at the table.

"What happens?" Sam asks timidly.

"They transform completely and fast." Travis snaps.

"One bite's all it takes. Eyes, teeth, skin; all turns. No going back either. They feed once, they're a monster forever. And our man Jack's headed there on a bullet train." Travis remarks.

"Well, how'd you find this guy if he's a walking, talking human?" Dean ponders looking at Travis.

"Lets just say it runs in his family." Travis says looking at Dean.

"You mean, uh..." I trail off unable to find the words. I never knew monsters could reproduce.

"Killed his daddy back in '78. Son of a bitch mangled 8 bodies before I put him down. Guy used to be a dentist. Cadillac, trophy wife... Little did I know, pregnant trophy wife. She put the boy up for adoption. By the time I found out, he was long gone, lost in the system." Travis takes a long drink of his beer after finishing talking.

"You mean to tell me you couldn't find someone?" Sam asks Travis confused. Travis sighs in response.

"I'm not sure I wanted to. The idea of hunting down some poor kid... I don't think I'd have the heart. No. I wanted to wait, make damn sure I had the right man. Apparently, I do." Travis says finishing the rest of his beer.

Travis goes out to his car and comes back in carrying gas cans that look like tiny fire-extinguishers. Then he explains that the only way to kill a Rougarou is with fire.

"So fire, huh?" Dean asks picking up one of the gas cans.

"The only way I found to kill these bastards; deep-fry 'em." Travis says putting down another gas can.

"Well, that's gonna be... horrible. Is that what you did to Jack's dad?" I ask looking at Travis.

"Uh-huh." Travis says nonchalant. Sam walks into the room carrying papers.

"Not wasting any time, are you?" Sam asks looking at the gas cans and then at Travis.

"None to waste. The guy hulks out, we won't be finding bodies, just remains." Travis says looking at Sam hard.

"What if he doesn't hulk out? I did a little homework. Uh, I've been checking out the lore on rougarous." Sam remarks looking at some of the papers in his hands.

"What? My 30 years of experience not good enough for you?" Travis barks.

"What? No. No, I-I- I just wanted to be prepared. I mean, not that you didn't.." Sam stumbles over himself trying to explain.

"Sam loves research. He does. He keeps it under his mattress right next to his KY. It's a sickness." Dean smirks looking over at Sam.

"Look, everything you said checked out, of course, but uh. I found a couple of interesting stories about people who have this rougarou gene or whatever. See, they start to turn, but they never take the final step." Sam explains.

"Really?" Dean asks stepping closer to Sam.

"See, if they never eat human flesh, they don't fully transform." Sam responds handing me his research papers.

"So what? Go vegan, stay human?" Dean asks summing things up.

"Basically. Or in this case, eat a lot of raw meat, just not..." Sam trails off before finishing.

"Long pig." Dead responds with a smirk on his face.

Good on you for the due diligence, Sam. But those are fairy tales. Fact is, every rougarou I ever saw or heard of... took that bite." Travis says walking over to the little kitchen and pouring himself another cup of coffee.

"Okay, well, that doesn't mean that Jack will." Sam pleads trying to get Travis to see his side.

"So what do we do? Sit and hope and wait for a body count?" Travis sneers.

"No, we talk to him. Explain what's happening. That way he can fight it." Sam says determined.

"Fight it?" Travis laughs.

"Are you kidding me? You ever been really hungry? I mean, haven't-eaten-in-days hungry?" Travis asks looking at Dean.

"Yeah." Dean shrugs.

"Yeah. Right then. So somebody slaps a big, juicy sirloin in front of you, you walking away?" Travis asks looking around the room at all of us. I look down knowing I wouldn't be able to.

"That's what we are to him now, meat on legs. I'm sorry. I'm sure he's a stand-up guy, but it's pure, base instinct. Everything in nature's gotta eat. You think he can stop himself 'cause he's nice?" Travis asks slightly degrading Sam.

"I don't know. But we're not gonna kill him unless he does something to get killed for." Sam says firmly. Sam sighs then walks out of the hotel room.

"What's up with your brother?" Travis asks looking to Dean for the answer.

"Don't get me started." Dean fumes.

I scold Dean with my eyes before walking out the door after my brother. I don't see him anywhere. I sigh walking further into the parking lot. I am looking up at the stars when the sound of fluttering wings catches my attention. I turn around to see Castiel standing before me.

"What are you doing here Cas?" I ask folding my arms over my chest.

"I came to check on you. Are you hunting a rougarou?" Castiel asks.

"Yes, why do you care?" I ask upset. Last time I saw Cas he zapped my brother to the past.

"Rougarous are dangerous. I have been assigned to watch over you, which means keeping you safe. I would like you to sit this one out." Castiel says putting his hand on my shoulder.

"Sit this one out? Are you serious?" I ask slapping his hand off my shoulder.

"You are upset with me? Have I done something?" he asks tilting his head to one side.

"I've been hunting for years I can handle myself!" I huff turning to walk away. Before I can get far away Castiel grabs my left hand spinning me quickly back to him.

"Please sit this one out?" he asks his face only inches from mine now. My breath hitches in my throat at our proximity to each other.

"U-um...." I can't form a sentence staring into his blue eyes.

The sound of a door opening causes me to look away from Castiel. With the sound of fluttering wings I know he has disappeared.

"You going to come back in so we can talk a game plan?" Dean asks looking at me.

"Uh...yeah." I walk shakily back into the motel room.

Inside I know I shouldn't feel like I do about Castiel, but I can't help it.

"Jaime...Jaime? Hey where is your head at?" Dean asks snapping his fingers in my face. At that moment Sam walks back into the room.

"Sorry...I was just thinking I would sit this one out." I say bringing all attention to me.

"What?" Dead questions.

"Well you and Sam have Travis, and plus I'm kind of in need of a girls night anyway." I shrug my shoulders.

"You should stay behind like I said these bastards are nasty." Travis chimes in.

"Hm...alright." Dean says reluctant.
♠ ♠ ♠
Part 1 of 2

Comment! Subscribe!
I love hearing feedback!!