Stepping Stone

You Were Never A Stepping Stone

Today is Oilers day on the show too bad there are no Oilers. In other news, congrats to @hallsy04 for getting cleared for contact #beauty #goodluckinOKC

“And those are some major rules about hockey. Even though as good Canadian citizens we all know about the lockout, we can still have fun, play hockey, and stay healthy by exercising! I’m Natty and I hope to see you next week for yoga!” Natty gave a big grin and waved with the group of kids.

“Cut! That’s a wrap, good work guys. Nat can we talk to you in the office.” Nick, the director called out while Natty hugged some of the kids.

“Sure I’ll be there in a second.” She hugged the last kids before walking through the studio to the main office.

“Hello Natalia, we just want to discuss a few things about the upcoming months.” Nick said as Natty took a seat in front of the desk. “How far along are you now?”

“I’m about ten weeks along.”

“And how are you feeling.”

“I’m fine, no morning sickness yet, I’m not showing, really I’m basically the same except I can’t drink alcohol.”

“Well that’s good. I just wanted to get a feel of where you are at so we can change any schedules for doctor’s appointments or morning sickness. Also I wanted to tell you we’ve talked about it and we don’t want to start changing your wardrobe to baggier clothes and try and hide your pregnancy.”

“Okay… but I don’t know how parents will react to me being pregnant and teaching they’re kids, I mean most people know I’m in college and only twenty years old.”

“That’s the thing, we’re going to embrace your pregnancy. What you’re doing is a very selfless thing and you are sacrificing so much of your life. We want to celebrate the kind of person you are; we don’t want to hide your good deeds. So when you do start showing, we are going to do an episode about alternative families and that’s when you’re going to explain your situation.”

“Don’t you think that is a little advanced for kids?”

“We aren’t going into great detail, but we want to celebrate that kids come from different kinds of families. Some are adopted, others have gay parents, some live with grandparents, and surrogates carried some kids. It’s educational and will prevent us from hiding anything. But I wanted to tell you this because I don’t know if your sister wants people to know about the surrogacy, especially if it’s announced on TV. So talk to her, think about it and get back to me, you know my number.” Nick smiled.

“Okay will do, see you next week for yoga.” Nat smiled, waved and left the studio.

She was more than ecstatic that she still had her job. She loved being on set; it was like being in another world. None of her problems existed when she was filming. She just smiled and laughed and hung out with kids. But as soon as she went outside and drove back home, reality set in. She was pregnant; her boyfriend broke up with her and was in the US. She tried to act like the break up didn’t hurt her, she acted as if she realized the world was right and this break up was good for her. But she was hurt, so hurt she barely functioned.

Deep down Nat was filled with hope. Sure she was miserable all day but the hope that she harbored within her heart gave her a glimmer of happiness. She had hope that everything would turn out all right. She would give the gift of a beautiful life to her sister and brother-in-law, Taylor would come home from the lockout and realize he made a mistake; he would want to try again.

She liked to pretend like the delusional hope was good for her, but it probably wasn’t healthy. Having hope meant if her desires weren’t fulfilled, it would crush any happiness she had left.

“I didn’t know the hormonal-depressed express was coming home so soon.” Bri gave a sad smile to her roommate walking in.

“You’re hilarious, I’m not that bad.”

“You’re right, you’re way worse. You cry yourself to sleep and mope around the only time I ever see you genuinely smile is when you’re on TV.”

“I don’t know, I think I’m just in a funk.”

“No you’re not. You miss Taylor and you just hope he comes home and begs for you to take him back. But he’s gone so you have to wait and you can’t find someone to fill that space because you’re pregnant.”

“I miss him.”

“Well I know what will make you feel better, your sister sent over a pan of soy, spinach stuff. Yummy health food.”

“I think she is trying to make me more miserable or maybe she’s trying to kill me and her baby, make it look like an accident.”

“Well you have nothing to fear, because as your best friend I made you tater tot casserole.” She smiled.

“Bri, you’re the best person in the whole wide world. Like seriously if I wasn’t so pregnant and shit I would have sex with you right now because I love you so much.”

“Are you really that horny?”

“The hormones just started kicking in a few days ago. If Taylor was still here and with me, I’m pretty sure I’d be blowing him so much. I just want to let some sexual frustration out.”

“Well if you ever want me to finger you I will be more than willing to. You know, as your best friend.”

“That’s very kind of you, I will let you know.” Nat smiled as she dished up some food and sat down to eat.

“And Natty, I know you’re miserable now, but you’re doing a very selfless thing. And all those good karma points add up. Good things will happen to those who deserve them and you deserve them. Just keep your head up.”

∆∆∆


Happy 21st birthday to @hallsy04 now you’re of age world wide #getabeerforme #sodainyourhonor

“Why does she have to tweet me and act like nothing happened?” Taylor asked as he looked at her phone.

“I don’t know, maybe she still wants to be friends, or she’s nice and is wishing you happy birthday, or maybe she’s hung up on a you and still has feelings. If it bothers you so much why don’t you unfollow her?” Jordan asked as they headed into the arena to watch a basketball game.

“I can’t just unfollow her.”

“Why not? It obviously bother you to hear from her.”

“I guess I’m still curious, I just don’t want to ask. I mean I care if she’s okay, but I broke up with her so it’s not like she’d be excited to tell me. Can you just tell me how she’s doing?”

“Well she’s apparently fourteen weeks along. Which means she’s not throwing up in the mornings as much and she gets to find out what gender the baby is, if her sister wasn’t controlling her life.”

“Her sister is kind of insane.”

“And this isn’t your problem, you broke up with her and you should care about your birthday and not your pregnant ex-girlfriend.”

“Is it weird I hope she still likes me whenever we get back?”

“Yes, because you aren’t good with each other, never mind, she is great for you but you are terrible for someone as great as her.”

“I don’t know there’s just something that makes me think if we try again after all this lockout and pregnancy bullshit that I can be better and we will better.”

“Just shut up and watch the game asshole.”

After the game the guys decided to go to a nearby bar to celebrate Taylor’s new legal status. A few drink later Taylor felt like King of the world. He was still playing hockey, he was young, and he was single. Taylor was flirting with a few beautiful blondes, nothing like his last girlfriend. He had broken up with Natty, he wasn’t pregnant, he was twenty-one, and going to take advantage of all those facts. One of the girls began to rub her hand up his chest and over his shoulders. She leaned up towards his ear whispering such vulgar things Taylor thought his all the blood in his body would run south. She grabbed his hand and led him out of the bar.

A few hours later he woke up in an unfamiliar apartment. He looked over to see the blonde from the bar wrapped in the sheets, her breasts out in the open. Taylor sighed. Last night had been amazing, a great release and she had been willing to do anything, especially for a birthday boy. But it felt empty. It wasn’t fun, he didn’t laugh like he did with Natalia. He didn’t cuddle. And he definitely didn’t sit in bed and eat ice cream with this girl. He didn’t even know her name. He sighed again before getting up throwing on his clothes and walking back to his own apartment.

∆∆∆


I’m carrying @violavogel ‘s baby and I’m now huge and fat on TV! Kind of sucks sometimes, but what doesn’t suck is @RNH_93 going to World Juniors! #goCanada

“Congrats Nugget, I can’t believe you’re Captain Canada. This is so exciting!” Natalia yelled at Skype as soon as Ryan’s face appeared on her screen.

“I know it’s pretty cool, I’m excited for the tournament, I mean Ebs never shuts up about it so it must be great. How’s being pregnant?” He smiled.

“It totally blows. I pee all the time; I’m starting to inflate like a balloon. My sister is literally the worst person to have someone else carrying her baby. She is so controlling. She’s making me eat so much health food but she doesn’t eat it, she makes me go to pregnancy yoga classes and birthing classes. She picks out all my maternity clothes like this is her body. It’s getting obnoxious.”

“But on the plus side Christmas is coming and you can watch me on TV again.”

“You’re so right, that does cheer me u—Oh my god the baby is kicking, it’s kicking! This is the first time! This is so weird, it must be because I’m talking to you, this baby is so fucking Canadian, we talk hockey and it is ready to go.” Ryan just stared and smiled for a bit. “What?”

“It’s just this is the first time I’ve seen you happy since the breakup, I like it. I missed happy you.”

“I have too, happy me is so awesome. I have a question Ry, if Taylor hadn’t made the first move and we were together instead, do you think you’d still be with me even if I got pregnant.”

“I don’t know, either way I wouldn’t be in Edmonton and you’d still be alone and maybe just as miserable. I know Taylor was an asshole but if it makes you feel better, he asks Jordan and I about you all the time. I don’t know if it’s because it makes him feel better and not responsible if you’re okay or if he genuinely cares, but he asks a lot.” Nat smiled widely at Ryan.

“Aww Ry, you are so sweet and sensitive. No wonder that girlfriend of yours loves you! I’m jealous. Anyway I have to go study, good luck and I will see you on TV.” Nat smiled and shut her computer.

∆∆∆


pic.twitter.com/nzFy67 @nattyvogues is so happy to celebrate Christmas with the fam #cantdrink #carryingmybaby #halfwaythere #WJC2013 #Canadians

“I don’t find it fair that you two are tipsy and I can’t drink because I’m carrying your baby. My belly button is an outie now because of you!” Natty flipped off the camera as her sister took a picture.

“Oh baby sis, you’re the best. And I’m drinking for you, we all know you always get tipsy and watch world juniors.”

“Yeah and now I can’t watch without getting all emotional about them because of Taylor. And I still really want a waffle ice cream sandwich with ketchup chips in it.”

“That’s disgusting. And it’s late so you should go home and get a good night’s rest Natalia, just like me.” Her sister smiled and went upstairs.

“I can take you home and make you a nasty craving sandwich.” Mark smiled as he helped Natty up.

“You’re my favorite, you know that right?” Natty smiled as she put on her coat.

“Yeah, and button that coat up it’s freezing out there, I don’t need you getting sick. That would be awful for you and Vi would blow a gasket.”

“I c-can’t I’m too fat.” Nat began to cry. “I’ll try not to freeze your fetus.”

“We’ll get you a bigger coat it’s not a big deal. I just really appreciate all you have done for us. You really are one of the best people I know, I hope you know that.” Mark smiled and drove Nat home, made her snack and hugged her goodnight, which really got the baby kicking.

Later that night while lying in bed Nat heard her phone go off. She grabbed and saw a text from Taylor. She felt her heart swell.

Merry Christmas, loved the picture on twitter. Miss you flipping me off. I will drink as much as you want once that baby is out of you.

∆∆∆


So excited to get back to Edmonton. See you soon Oiler fans!!!!

Nat screamed as she waddled through the house. And Bri smiled knowing they had both read the same thing.

“The lockout is over bitch!”

“I know I read, you better get ready to get your man back.”

“Shut up, it’s only a dream that we will get one more shot.”

“Oh please, everyone else may think you guys were bad together but they only saw the bad things he did. I loved you two because I saw him carry you home and take care of you when you were drunk. Besides, I’ve never seen two people laugh more or have more fun hanging out and having sex than you two. You make being in love look fun and like those stupid movies.”

“You really think that’s a good idea.”

“Yes, of course. We’re best friends and I’ve now been sexual with you so I know you pretty well and I know you and Taylor are a good pair. You guys are best friends who fell in love and that’s the kind of love everyone should have.”

“Don’t ever mentioned that you fingered me to anyone.”

“It was a weak moment your secret is safe with me.” Bri winked.

∆∆∆

Taylor let the maple syrup drip off his fork. He didn’t have much of an appetite. Looking at the dark amber of the syrup made him think of Natty’s eyes. He continued to push around the syrup trying not to think about Natty.

“What are you doing?” Jordan asked.

“The syrup is the same color as Nat’s eyes.” Taylor sighed.

“We’ve been home for like a month, why don’t you just grow a pair and go see her. You obviously want to.”

“I can’t just go over to her place. What would I say, ‘hey sorry I broke up with you but I want to get back together’.”

“I mean you could, but how about I make this easier on you and I invite her to watch a movie here tonight after the game. You can come over after she arrives so it won’t be as awkward.”

“Thanks man you’re the best.”

“Well just don’t screw anything up, I think I may like Nat more than you.”

Later that day a very large Nat was sitting on the couch with Jordan. A bowl of KD was balanced on her stomach as Jordan flipped channels looking for a movie to watch.

“I missed you and the Oilers, I can’t remember the last time I had this much fun.”

“Well I can’t wait until you have that baby out of you so you can have real fun.”

“Tell me about, that was the first time I’ve been completely sober at a hockey game in three years.” She laughed. “Do you have some ketchup chips I can put in this?”

“Yeah, is this one of your weird cravings?”

“For sure, all I do now is eat and pee and act weird.”

“You have peed like forty times since you get here.” Jordan handed her the bag of chips.

“Well one of those times I didn’t actually pee but really just went into Taylor’s room and smelled his sheets because I miss him so much.”

“You smelled his sheets?”

“Yes, I have a problem.” She whined. The door opened revealing Taylor.

“Hey Nat, how are you.” Taylor flashed a smile that made her swoon. Before she could answer Jordan’s phone went off.

“That was Lauren she wants me to come over, so I’ll see you later.” Jordan said standing up.

“Jordan Eberle, this was a set up! You know better than to trick a pregnant girl.”

“Well you kids have fun.” Jordan got up and left.

“I swear I didn’t know he was going to do that.” Taylor held his hands up in surrender.

“It’s fine, I’m kind of tired though and I did a lot today. Can you take me home.”

“Yeah sure.”

The car ride was felt long, both parties wanted to say something but just couldn’t. Once they got to the house Nat finally said he could come inside with her. Taylor followed her to the kitchen and watched as she took a bag of ketchup chips and turned towards him. Taylor took a chance and stepped forward and hugged her.

“Nat, I feel like there’s something between us.” Taylor said as he held her to his chest.

“Yeah, it’s my giant pregnant belly.” Nat laughed as she pulled away.

“I’m trying to be serious Nat. I’m sorry, I’m so sorry I broke up with you. But no girl makes me feel the way you make me feel. I feel empty without all the quirks of our relationship. I know I’ve been a shitty boyfriend but I hope you’d be willing to give me another chance.”

“I’ve been miserable without you, I’ve been pregnant and alone and dreaming about you saying this.” Nat smiled.

“We’ll take it slow, just be best friends who make out at first.”

“Just like old times.”

“Yeah back when you liked Nuge.”

“I just thought you were being friendly I didn’t know you were flirting. Remember I was a virgin when met.” She smiled. “Now I’m pregnant and my feet hurt so I’ll see you later.” She hugged Taylor one more time before walking upstairs.

∆∆∆


Sad to see the Oilers lose after such a good season but this baby is almost out of me. #playoffs #gotime #twomoreweeks.

“Taylor I have an appointment, I know you want to make you feel better, but my sister will literally kill me if I’m late.” She shoved Taylor away.

“Fine, but you owe m-, you might want to change shirts.” Taylor said.

“Oh fuck,” She looked down to see her leaking through her shirt, “I’ve started lactating it fucking sucks I leak through shirts all the time.”

“I’ll give you one of the million Oilers shirts I own, it’s not a big deal. Only two more weeks.”

“Thanks for the shirt sweetie, will you tie my shoes I can’t reach.” She laughed and Taylor bent over to tie her shoes.

“You do know you’re wearing two different shoes.”

“No I didn’t but I can’t see my feet anymore.”

“It’s cute, now go before your sister kills you.” Taylor kissed her nose.

“I told you she’d be late,” Viola said angrily as her sister waddled in.

“She’s like five minutes late and she can’t walk very fast, it’s okay Nat the doctor isn’t here yet.” Mark answered.

“You were with Taylor weren’t you? When will you learn that he’s an awful guy and not worth your time? Didn’t your first relationship teach you anything?”

“Stop Vi, you’re going to make her go into early labor.”

“No someone needs to knock some sense into her before this baby is out of her and she’s back to banging him and ruining her life.”

“After all I’ve done for you, you think you can talk to me like that? Maybe Taylor wasn’t the best boyfriend, but this time he’s so much better. He makes me feel happy and I’ve been miserable since you knocked me up with your ba-, oh god. My water just broke, oh my God I’m having the baby.”

“The baby is coming, oh my God. Okay let’s start our breathing.” Viola started breathing in deep as the nurses moved Natalia from the doctor’s office to a delivery room.

∆∆∆


Nine months in the womb was well worth it, welcome my beautiful niece and greatest gift to my sister, Erica May. #beauty #twoweeksearly #pictureslater

“I came as soon as I heard.” Taylor said running into the room and standing beside Nat’s bed. “Beautiful,” he whispered.

“Yeah she’s beautiful, I can’t believe she came out of me.” Nat said nodding to the baby her sister was holding.

“I was talking about you.”

“Shut up cheese ball.” Nat rolled her eyes; “I thought you were driving to Calgary after I left.”

“I was but Mark called me and told me you were going into labor so I turned around.”

“Mark, you called him?” Viola snapped at her husband.

“Yes, because she loves him and after all she’s done for us, we owe it to her to make her happy. You may not like him but you can’t look at those two and tell me they don’t look happy and in love.” Mark answered.

“Thanks Mark.” Nat smile, “And thanks for coming.”

“Well someone will have to take care of you during your recovery.”

“You know I can’t have sex for six more weeks.”

“I can wait a little longer, I love you and we’re together again, that’s all I could ask for.” He smiled before leaning in and kissing Nat. She wrapped her arms around his neck and in that moment everything felt perfect.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hooray the lockout is over!
I hope you like the ending and comment!