Soldier's Poem

98% Likely To Be In Trouble

001.

The clock on the small metal bed side table bleeped, piercing and loud. 5 am. Fuck. Pretty much crawling out of my bed, I grudgingly stood in the tiny, clinically clean bathroom and peered into the mirror. Shit. I looked awful, pale and drawn, my eyes blood shot from lack of sleep and my dark hair a tumbled mess. If he was going to keep me up any later for after hours combat training tonight he had another thing coming. I would kick his ass, no fucking question. I was dog tired, and it showed. I suddenly remembered my bed back home, Scott and Ralf taking up all the space while I practically slept on the floor. Oh, the relationship my former boyfriend and our dog had a was a long lasting and very beautiful one.

But all gone now. Put it behind you. Get a grip Rain, you ain't seen either of them in more than a year. Your career is your life now and you must follow your military training and trust me Rainie they'll thank you when you're a hero like me blah blah blah blah blah. His annoying hero lecture sounded again in my head. Shut the fuck up.

After a shower I threw on my SHIELD uniform. Standard grey. But oh no, I was special. I was better than most at combat, apparently. All I really saw in it was that I could defend myself. Gymnastics as a kid had helped in a few sticky situations of course but nowadays apparently that made you Clark Kent. But no, I am not a ninja today. Defy the boss man and ask Nick to help Elin in the lab. Yes. Because even if it's not the end of the world I apparently need to be able to do 30 press ups in a minute. If some more aliens invade that are killed with sweat then let me know, other than that I'd rather sit on my ass looking at crap under a microscope. Not that all Elin did was look at crap under microscopes.

If they'd let me train with Clint like I'd requested at first then at least I could learn something. At least archery's a good skill. Being a save-the-people-for-I-am-eternally-good type is not a skill. First avenger my ass. I mean if they thought that was the best in the 1940s then they must have been further behind the times than we thought. He irritated me constantly with his hero of the people attitude and just stood there all like "I am a blonde superman now think I'm great or I'll make you do two hours extra training tonight". I mean it's like he thinks I like him or something.

I snuck down to the labs, and Nick was there with Elin, discussing the fabled tesseract as always. He spotted me through the glass doors and nodded as I entered the lab, but then frowned, quickly asking,
"I believe the Captain is expecting you down in training this morning."
Shit fuck damn the fucking bastard. He'd already started whining about me to Fury and I'd only been awake half an hour.

"I'm not due to report in until 0800 hours, so the Captain can stick his training right up his-"
"Thank you Miss Haile, but your opinion is not needed this early. I'll put this one down to sleep depravity, but you watch your mouth when referring to your betters, or next time I will let the Captain deal with the problem himself, maybe with a few extra hours of combat training. Do I make myself clear?" He barked.

"Yes, sir." I muttered, and sat in the corner of the lab muttering to myself about the unfairness of the world. As Clint rounded the corner I had to make a mental note that grabby hands and dying whale noises weren't allowed in the workplace. If Fury hadn't been there I would have tackled him to the ground and continued complaining about life plus sobbing on his shoulder. But alas, Eyepatch was present and therefore no cuddles for Rain. Bastard.

Weighing up the situation as he entered, Clint gave me a short grin before Nick even looked up. He could tell I was 98% likely to be in trouble. Hell, I was awake, of course I was in trouble. Hell, I was breathing. As ol' Eyepatch looked up, he did so looking alarmingly annoyed. What the fuck was his problem today? I put it down to not enough basic social interaction. I'd have to get Hill to step it up with the seduction plans. She wasn't all for that yet. I still wasn't done convincing her it was for the greater good, and neither was Coulson, for that matter. Thank god Coulson was such a free spirit. If not I'd have been fired ten times over now.

"This better not be a social call." he muttered, one eye fixed on Clint. The archer had dropped his cheery grin, all business now. I found it kinda funny how Clint could flip in and out of his SHIELD agent persona and into this really goofy dork that I kinda maybe had a little thing for. Maybe. Clint was great. Hawkeye scared the shit outta me. The Hawk was a little fighter, all muscle, arrows and what seemed like a fearsome bad temper. Watching him tear a strip off a new agent to toughen them up made you wanna jump in front of the poor kid to save 'em. Clint was all smiles, popcorn and good for a hug if you were upset. I always liked that I saw the latter more often, it honestly made him look like less of a jerk. Not that many people shared my opinion. They were more inclined to run screaming in fear if he tackled them in the middle of the cafeteria.

"I was looking for Miss Haile, actually. There's been a technical fault down in CT, and the Captain asked me to gather up all his agents on my rounds this morning." Liar liar hope your nest is on fire.