Status: We like torturing you. >:)

Keeping Secrets From Strangers

Goodbye Jack and Alex.

“Yes, of course.” Alex smiles at Jack and grabs his hands, pulling him forward to give him a brief kiss. “Are you sure we're ready for this?”

“I think we're more than ready because guess what I got today.”

“What's that?”

“A phone call from April saying we needed to come in tomorrow.”

“And...?”

“She has some news for us. She never said if it was good or bad.”

“Oh.” Alex's face falls a little. They've been waiting for almost two months now to finally start a family together, and he didn't want the opportunity to slip away.

“She did sound excited though but I don't wanna get our hopes up.”

“That's true. Um, I think I'm gonna make lunch or something.”

“Wanna just go out? You said you wanted to try that new sub at Subway or did you wanna do that for dinner?”

“No, we could go now. I just don't really wanna think about this too much.”

Jack links their hands and they head to the door as Jack grabs his phone, keys, and wallet.

Alex silently put on his shoes and waits by the door for his husband.

Jack looks up and smiles at Alex, how still thinks he's as cute as ever. He can't believe it's been six years since he asked him to be his boyfriend and almost two since they got married.

Alex smiles back at him,” ready to go?”

“Yup.” Jack links their hands and leads them out to the car and off to subway.

☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆


As they're sitting in the waiting room, Alex is laying against Jack's side while holding his left hand. He starts playing with his fingers, which is one of his nervous habits that he still hasn't dropped.

“Well I would ask you if you like my fingers but we already know the answer to that,” Jack whispers softly so no one in the room can hear.

“I'm sorry,” Alex whispers back and slowly stops. “I can't help it when I'm nervous.”

“its fine baby, you know I don't mind it. I'm nervous too. I just want April to get us already.”

“What if she forgot about it?” Alex whispers even quieter, running his fingers over Jack's wedding ring.

“She wouldn't do that to us. Remember we're her favorite clients. She's probably just making everything perfect for us.”

“Barakat?” April comes into the room a few minutes later saying. She spots them as they stand up together and smiles. They walk over to her and quietly follow her back to her office. She softly shuts the door behind them as they sit down on the love seat as she sits in her chair. “Hi boys. How have you been?”

“Good and you?” Jack answers.

“I've been great, thank you. Alex?” Alex looks up as she calls his name. “Have you been good too?” He nods with a small smile.

“He's just nervous about what the news is today.” Jack rubs his hand over Alex's hand.

“I can assure you there's nothing to be nervous about. It's excellent news.”

Jack and Alex both look up at April then squeeze each other's hands.

She smiles. “Well, let me ask this first. Say if you were to finally officially adopt baby Hayden, would you two be ready at this moment?”

Alex squeezes Jack's hand harder and Jack says, “We have everything you told us to buy and the car seat is in the car like you suggested. I believe we are more than ready, though I might have a very sore hand if my lovely husband stops squeezing the life out of it.”

“Sorry,” Alex quickly apologized and losses his grip as he blushes.

April laughs. “Don't worry; you can just have him do all the baby carrying.”

“This is very true. He hogged Hayden most of the at home visit too.”

“I'm sorry, it's just he's so cute and huggable, how could you not?”

“True. But are you serious April, he can be ours like right now?”

“I'm dead serious. Really, he could now if you wanted to.”

“Without a doubt.”

“Well it's just a little paperwork, but we can start and he's all yours.”

“Yes please,” Jack says and squeezes Alex's hand a little.

“Let's get started.”

☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆


“Do you want me to grab the carrier or do you want to get it?” Jack asks once they get home from their meeting with April.

“You can get it, I got the bag.”

Jack turns off the car and unbuckles. He gets out of the car and gets into the backseat. He softly unhooks the carrier from the base, picking it up slowly trying not to wake Hayden.

Alex smiles at Jack once he turns around, putting the bag strap over his shoulder. “All good?”

“Yup. Got the keys for front door?”

“Um,” Alex checks his pockets then he walks over to Jack, pulling the keys out of his pocket. “I do now.”

“Good.” Jack carries Hayden up to the house while Alex unlocks the door. Jack heads into the living room and sits him on the table.

Alex comes in with the bag and puts it down next to the carrier. “How's he doing?”

“Taking after his also lazy daddies.”

He comes around the table and looks at Hayden, laughing softly. “I just still can't believe he's ours.”

“I can't either. It will take a little while before I think we'll be used to it.”

“He looks so cute sleeping.”

“Just like you, cutie.” Jack moves and wraps his arm around Alex's waist.

Alex smiles and puts his hands on top of his. “You haven't called me cutie in years.”

“I think it's time for a comeback but you have competition now.”

“Yeah, but he can't steal you from me so he's easy competition.”

Jack laughs and kisses Alex's forehead. “So what should we do now?”

“I wanna put him in his room but I don't want him to wake up confused.”

“He can stay in here till he wakes up but we can move him to the ground so he doesn't fall.”

“Good idea.”

Jack picks Hayden and the carrier up and places it softly on the floor. “So what should daddy and papa do now? And staring at Hayden sleeping isn't an option.”

“Dang it.” Alex pouts. “In that case I don't know.”

“Well its four-thirty now so we can start on ideas for dinner or start dinner.”

“Ooh, we should make pasta. Seafood pasta.”

“Sounds good, shrimp?”

“You know it.”

Around two hours later, Jack is placing their pastas on the table while Alex gets their glasses of wine.

“Stop over thinking babe,” Jack says when he notices Alex spacing out.

He sighs and grabs the glasses, putting it on the table. “I'm just worried. Shouldn't he be awake by now?”

“Babies sleep a lot. If you want we can bring him in here and sit in on the table so we can watch him sleep.”

“I just feel like I'm annoying you with this. It's fine.”

“You're not annoying me at all, honey. I'll go get him.” Alex nods and sits down at the table. Jack goes into the living room and carefully grabs Hayden in the carrier and brings him into the dining room. He carefully sits him on the table between Alex and himself. Alex smiles softly and picks up his fork when Jack sits down, starting to eat. “Mmm I love shrimp, almost as much as I love you.”

“Almost? I will compete with our cute baby but I refuse to compete with a dead crustacean.”

Jack laughs softly, “okay maybe not as much but maybe top five things or people I love.”

“Better.” Alex takes a sip from his glass. “Do you think we'll ever need a babysitter?”

“Well I think we already have three when our moms and Cassadee find out.”

“You're right.” Hayden moves in the carrier and Alex glances over at him.

“Have we decided whose last name is he getting or should we do both?”

“Well I'm not using my former last name so I don't think he should either.”

“We could think about it still since April said we had until Thursday to come up with answer.” Jack looks up when Hayden makes a whining noise.

“Is he okay or just waking up?” Alex worries.

“I think he's just waking up. Did you get the formula out of the bag?”

“While we were cooking and I checked on him, yeah.”

“I think we should get a bottle ready just in case he starts screaming.”

“Want me to do it?”

“Sure. I'll go get a diaper too just in case.”

Alex puts his fork down and they stand up from the table, doing what they said they're going to do. Jack gets to the living room to get the diaper and Alex has the bottle almost done when Hayden fully wakes up and starts crying very loudly. He quickly finishes and walks over to the table. He gets Hayden out of the carrier and sits down with him, which calms his down until he sees the bottle.

“Did you get him, babe?” Jack says as he comes into the dining room.

“Yeah, I got him.” Alex finally starts feeding the bottle to Hayden and it gets completely silent. Alex smiles at him when he looks up at him as he's drinking. “Hi, I missed you.”

Jack sits the diaper and wipes on the table. “I'm gonna take care of the dishes while you feed Hay.”

“Hay?” Alex looks up and laughs a little.

“He needs a nickname.”

“You're right, but Hay seems a little strange.”

“Well what else is there? Den?”

“His name isn't that nickname able.”

“There Hayhay too but that's weird too.”

“We can think about it later, no worries.”

“True maybe something will stick.” Jack sits down next to Alex at the table,” he fell back asleep?”

Alex looks down at him. “He looks like he's fighting it.”

“I probably would be too if I was in your arms sucking on a bottle.”

“I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not.”

Jack laughs softly and looks down at Hayden. “Want me to get the bassinet? Also I get to get him next time he cries, don't want you stealing him all the time.”

“Yeah, and I was gonna give him to you when you came back. I'd feel bad if he's just used to me. The funny thing is, you'll probably be saying the opposite around next month.” Alex jokes.

“Probably if I'm sleep deprived and have to work in the morning.”

“Go get the bassinet, he's about done now.”

“Yes sir.” Jack gets up and goes to the spare room Hayden's room and brings it to the living room. “Lex it's in the living room.”

Hayden burps from Alex patting his back since Jack left, making him childish laugh. “Okay. Wanna carry him in there and change him?”

“Bring him in here and I'll change him.”

Alex holds on to Hayden as he takes him into the living room. “Here's your mail.”

“I love baby mail thanks.” Jack lays Hayden on the couch and carefully undresses him and begins to change his diaper. “Can you grab some pjs for me?”

Alex looks through the bag still on the table and grabs some. He stands next to them, letting Hayden see both of them since he kept looking around. Out of nowhere, he makes a noise surprising both of them.

“Really? Tell me more cutie,” Jack says to Hayden as he starts to put on his jammies. “Oh he smells like baby lotion so I think we're good on a bath tonight.”

“Good. He moves a lot, and now we know he's a talker.”

“Two of those are going to be bad later in life I bet.”

“Let's enjoy it while he's a baby.” Alex sits where Jack was sitting as he gets up and takes Hayden over to the bassinet.

“But moving when he's getting dressed will be an issue.”

“We'll probably get used to it. Come cuddle so we can watch a movie.”

“I love when you're a bossy butt,” Jack smirks. Jack moves over to the couch and cuddles Alex as he turns on the TV.

Alex smiles as he lies against Jack, glancing at the bassinet then at the TV again. “I've always had this vision.”

“My vision is with one more but I've had this one a few times.”

“One more baby?”

“Or two and you don't even have to worry about your figure afterwards.”

Alex laughs. “You're so considerate.”

“I know. May I have a kiss hubby?”

Of course. Alex picks his head up and gives Jack a kiss.

"Mmm my favorite type."

He smiles and gives Jack another one. “I love you.”

“I love you too, cutie.”
♠ ♠ ♠
And that's the end of our little fic. It's been a journey. Thanks for reading to the end. YOU'RE AWESOME!!! Please leave a comment or two or recommend it please and thanks.


Bonnie
&
Shauna