Catching Fireflies . . .

the first day of summer is always the best one.

I always thought the first day of summer was the best day ever. The sky seemed bluer, the air cooler, smiles were bigger. Everything seemed perfect. Everything seemed ten times better than usual. And once again, my theory did not fail me.
***
My eyes slowly opened to the sounds of cars passing by on the street and the laughter of kids playing on the beach. I smiled to myself and got out of bed to take a shower.

Once I was squeaky clean and my hair was wrapped in a towel, I picked out what I was going to wear. I settled on a strapless, lavender romper. I rubbed my wet hair dry with a towel and let it spill over my bare shoulders. I walked out of my room and down the hallway, my bare feet cool against the hardwood floor.
***
"Tt Wish!" I looked down and saw my 6 year old nephew Alex smiling up at me. His dimples reminded me of craters on the moon and his green eyes glistened with happiness. "Hi Love!" I picked him up and twirled him around, once, twice. I put him down and he stumbled, slightly dizzy from the spinning. He finally gathered himself and asked eagerly, "Will you take me to the beach today? Please, Wish, please!" I bent down and kissed him on the forehead, "Yes Alex, I'll take you to the beach." "Yah!" Alex yelled, his small voice echoing through the living room. He ran to his room, still bursting with joy.

"You know, you don't have to take him again. I'll do it." I jumped at the deep voice that suddenly traveled from the kitchen. But, I relaxed, immediately recognizing my older brother's voice. "Morning Aires, and yes I know that, but I wanted to get out today anyway. It's beautiful outside." "Alright, if you wish." He was leaning on the island, a newspaper in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other. I leaned towards him and planted a kiss on his cheek.

"Where's mom?" "She went to the store. She should be back in a minute though." I nodded and walked back to the living room. I collapsed on the couch and started to channel surf. Five minutes later, I heard the knob jiggle and a pair of heels click-clacking on the floor. She walked into the kitchen, bags on either arm. "Hey beautiful!" I said to my mom. She laughed and said, "Hey gorgeous!"

My mom really was beautiful. She's 42, but looks 31. Her skin is a glowing, caramel color. Her hair is jet black and stops just above her shoulders. She has a bright smile and light blue eyes.

"Where's Aires?" "He went in the back with Alex." "Okay." She finished putting up the groceries and plopped down in the big chair next to me. "So, what are you up to today?" "Well, I'm taking Alex down to the beach for a little while and then I'm gonna go see Kelly about a job." "Sounds nice. I think I'm gonna take me a nap and then go to lunch with Delia and Andrea." "Cool beans." She hoisted herself up from the chair and went to take a nap.

I went back to my room a few minutes later to finish getting ready for the beach. I put my still damp, wavy hair into a side fishtail, slipped on a pair of tan sandals and threw on a chunky wood bracelet.

"Alex! C'mon babe!" "Coming!" he called from the back room. Alex came out wearing a pair of khaki shorts, a navy blue v-neck t-shirt, and some flip flops. "Ooo, look at you! You look very handsome Alex." He blushed. "Thank you." "Alrighty then, ready to go?" Without answering, he grabbed my hand and pulled me out the front door and down the steps, leading me to the big, beautiful beach.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've decided to make a list of songs for each chapter, so here ya go(:
1. Pretty Eyes- Alex Goot
2. U Smile- Justin Bieber
3. What Makes You Beautiful- One Direction

Okay, so this list was a little bit harder to make because it's the beginning, but they'll get better. Trust me(;