Status: Completed

When Friends Fall in Love

Making It Right

~Brian's P.O.V.~

I paced up and down the small room at the back of the church, wringing my hands nervously. It was 4:00 p.m. on a Saturday, and I was about to get married. It was weird to be the first member of Avenged getting hitched. I'd always thought it would be Matt. He had been with Helena since basically the dawn of time.

The door opened and I looked up. Matt stuck his head in and grinned. "Hey. Can I come in?"

I nodded.

Matt walked in, shutting the door softly behind him. "I never thought I'd see the day Syn Gates got married in a church."

I chuckled. "I know. But it's what Josie wanted."

Matt sat in the only chair in the room and I resumed pacing. There were about a million thoughts in my head: doubts about Josie, worries about married life with Josie, and regrets that centered around Marissa. Just thinking about Marissa hurt.

"So," I said as casually as I could manage, "are the girls coming?"

"Lacey is," Matt commented.

I glared. "Thank you, Captain Obvious. I meant, are Krista and Helena coming?"

Matt leaned back in the chair, crossing his arms over his chest. "Why don't you ask what you really mean?"

I paused in my pacing, brow furrowed. "What?"

"You don't give a rat's ass about Krista and Helena being here," Matt accused. "You care about Marissa." He watched me closely as he spoke.

I gave him my best blank face and continued pacing.

"She's not coming," Matt stated. "And you know why."

"Don't start this, Shads," I said warningly. "I'm marrying Josie."

"Why?" Matt questioned.

"Uh, because I love her," I replied as if it was so obvious.

"What do you love about her?"

"She's sweet and smart and hot," I listed. "And good in bed."

Matt nodded. "Okay. Now for an easier question with a longer answer—why do you love Marissa?"

I shot another glare at him, saying nothing.

"C'mon," Matt urged. "Everyone knows you love her. Even Josie knows it. Explain it to me. I'll take the reasons to my grave. I swear."

I sighed and stopped pacing. I took a minute to figure out how to put it into words. "Marissa is…amazing. She's fucking brilliant. Did you know she made straight A's all through high school? She's sensitive and caring and talented and beautiful. She's always supported my dreams and believed in me. She's always been there. And when we had sex…" I trailed off with a shiver. Sex with Marissa was totally different from sex with Josie. It was more intense, more meaningful.

Matt was staring at me, eyebrows raised.

"What?" I said.

"I think you know," he remarked.

I did know. I didn't just love Marissa, I was in love with her. "I made a mistake, didn't I, Shads?"

Matt smiled. "Finally! Now, let's get out of here before you make an even bigger one!"

**********

We drove to the dorm to find that no one was there.

"Fuck!" I swore, punching the door.

"Chill," Matt said, putting one hand on my shoulder and flipping open his cell with the other.

I shifted anxiously, listening to Matt's end of the conversation: "Helena? Hey, baby! I have a question…Where are you?" Pause. "Uh-huh. Is Marissa with you?" Another pause. "Okay. I'll explain when I get there. I love you." He snapped his cell shut and started for the stairs.

I followed him. "Well?"

"They're at Johnny's Bar," Matt informed me. "So you've got about ten minutes to figure out what you're going to say to her."

My cell rang. I checked the caller ID and saw that it was Johnny. "What's up, man?"

"Where are you?" Johnny demanded. "You do know you're getting married in about fifteen minutes, right?"

"I'm taking care of something very important," I responded. "Something that should've been taken care of a long time ago."

"Marissa?" Johnny guessed hopefully.

"Yeah," I confirmed.

"Then I've got you covered. Go get her." Johnny hung up.

I lit a cigarette, wondering how to tell Marissa I was in love with her and get her to forgive me for being a dumb ass. I had a lot to make up for, so it had to be special.

As we pulled into the parking lot of the bar, a familiar song came on the radio. I smiled. "Hey, Shads? We need to go see Dad."

Matt didn't even protest or anything. He simply did a U-turn and sped off towards my dad's house.

**********

~Marissa's P.O.V.~

I downed my shot of Jack and signaled for another. I'd never felt so helpless. I didn't know how to stop the pain, but I figured I could numb it for a while. Krista was watching me with concern. Helena was on her cell.

The bartender set another shot in front of me, then leaned on the bar and studied my face. "What's the matter, sweetheart?"

I sighed. "I'm in love with my best friend and he's getting married today." I tossed back the Jack and slammed the glass down.

The bartender immediately refilled the glass. "Does he know you're in love with him?"

I nodded. "But he obviously doesn't feel the same."

The bartender frowned sympathetically. "I'm sorry, sweetheart. I wish we could make the people we love feel the same about us."

"Damn right!" I gulped down the last shot.

"Matt's on his way here," Helena announced, coming over and perching on the empty stool to my left.

"I thought he was going to the wedding," Krista said.

Helena shrugged. "Apparently he changed his mind."

"You should call him back and tell him to stay," I piped up. "Brian's friends should be there with him."

Krista and Helena exchanged a quick glance.

I narrowed my eyes. "I know what you're thinking. But I'm not his friend anymore. I'm the idiot who fell in love with him and got her heart broken."

"You're not an idiot," the bartender interjected, pouring me another shot. "You can't help how you feel."

"He's right," Krista agreed. "Besides, Brian is the idiot. He can't see that the best thing for him is right in front of him."

"I'm not the best thing for him," I mumbled miserably.

"Yes, you are," Helena disputed. "Sweetie, I've never seen him happier than when he's with you, and I've seen him with some of his other girlfriends."

I swallowed my shot. "He's happy around me. Big deal. That's not love."

Helena made a frustrated sound. "It is love. But I can't make you understand what everyone else knows. You're too blinded by pain."

"Do you blame me?" I queried. "Helena, even if he loves me, he's still marrying her. What does it change?"

Krista fidgeted on her stool. "God, I swear, next time I see him, I'm going to kill him."

"No!" I protested. "You can't! How will I get through this if my best friend is in jail?"

A faint smile curved Krista's lips, but her eyes were still dark with anger. "I guess you're right. Still, he deserves some serious pain for being such a dumb ass."

"Very true," Helena said.

We sat in silence for a few minutes. The bartender approached and set the bottle of Jack Daniel's in front of me. "You look like you're going to need the whole thing."

I flashed a grateful smile. "You're right. Thank you." I grabbed the bottle and didn't even bother with my shot glass.

"Hey, girls!" Matt said suddenly, causing Helena, Krista, and me to look up. He kissed Helena in greeting.

"What are you doing here?" she asked.

"You'll see," he answered mysteriously.

"Shads, you should go back," I said seriously. "You guys are like family to Brian. Y'all have to be there."

Matt didn't say anything. His attention went to the far side of the bar. Helena, Krista, and I followed his gaze. A guy was setting up a microphone. "Ladies and gentlemen," he said once he was finished. "We have a surprise special guest for you tonight. Brian Haner Junior."

Brian walked to the mic, carrying an acoustic guitar.

Helena and Krista both glanced at Matt curiously, but I couldn't take my eyes off Brian. He was in his tuxedo from the wedding, and his hair was all ruffled the way I liked it. He looked perfect.

I suddenly felt nauseous. Tears stung my eyes. I turned on my heel and hurried for the exit.

"This song is for someone very special to me," Brian said, and his voice skated over my skin like a warm caress. "She knows how much I hate singing, so she knows how important this is."

I froze as he began strumming the intro to "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol. I closed my eyes when he started singing:

"We'll do it all, everything, on our own. We don't need anything or anyone. If I lay here, if I just lay here, would you lie with me and just forget the world?

"I don't quite know how to say how I feel. Those three words are said too much; they're not enough. If I lay here, if I just lay here, would you lie with me and just forget the world? Forget what we're told before we get too old. Show me a garden that's bursting into life.

"Let's waste time chasing cars around our heads. If I lay here, if I just lay here, would you lie with me and just forget the world? All that I am, all that I ever was, is here in your perfect eyes; they're all I can see. I don't know where, confused about how as well; I just know that these things will never change for us at all.

"If I lay here, if I just lay here, would you lie with me and just forget the world?"


Some people in the bar cheered, but silence seemed to surround me. I opened my eyes, hot tears streaming down my cheeks. Matt was smiling. Helena and Krista were watching me, and both of them were crying, too.

I shifted my focus to Brian. His dark eyes met mine, holding only uncertainty. Crying and laughing, I ran to him and threw myself into his arms.

"I love you, Marissa," he said, planting soft kisses all over my face. "I love you so much."

"I love you, too," I murmured, and shoved my lips against his.

"HELLS YEAH!!!!!!" a loud shout caused us to jump apart.

Johnny, Jimmy, Papa Gates, Mama Gates, and Brent were all gathered in the entrance of the bar. Brian twined his fingers with mine and tugged me to the bar. Matt slapped Brian on the back. Helena and Krista hugged me.

Brian cleared his throat. "I have something else to say."

Our group fell silent, everyone looking at Brian expectantly.

Brian faced me, taking both of my hands in his. "Marissa, I have loved you since the day I met you. I should've been telling you that every day for the last twelve years. I can't undo what has already been done, but if you'll let me, I can try to make it up to you by telling you every day for the rest of our lives." He let go of one of my hands and reached into his pocket, bringing out a small purple velvet box.

Somebody behind me gasped. Brian dropped to one knee. "Vix, will you marry me?"

I couldn't speak, so I just nodded. He smiled happily and held up the ring. "This was my grandmother's ring." He slid it onto my finger.

"Why didn't you give it to Josie when you proposed to her?" I asked.

"Dad wouldn't let me have it for her," Brian responded.

I shot Papa Gates a look and he grinned.

"All right!" Jimmy cheered, slinging an arm around Krista's shoulders. "We have an engagement to celebrate. Bring on the booze!"

**********

~Krista's P.O.V.~

"God, you two!" Matt yelled, throwing a piece of ice at Marissa and Brian, who were making out AGAIN. "Could you please take a break from each other for at least two seconds?"

Brian looked at Matt. "Are you serious? I can finally touch her any time I fucking want to, and you expect me to stop?"

Marissa giggled.

Helena elbowed Matt in the ribs. "Leave 'em alone. They're adorable."

Matt faked a gag, which earned him another elbow in the ribs. "OW! Jesus, Helena!"

"Hey," Brian said, pulling away from Marissa again. "Has anyone heard from Zacky recently?"

"I have," Johnny announced. "He's been staying in L.A. He met someone apparently."

"Good," Jimmy commented.

I was proud of him for not giving Marissa a pointed glare. I knew he wanted to. He was working really hard to forgive her completely. It was going to take time, but since Brian had stopped being an idiot, it seemed like we had all the time in the world now.

"Speak of the devil!" Papa Gates cried.

Everyone looked towards the door. Zacky was making his way to our table. Gerard, Ray, and Frankie were trailing along behind him.

"Hey, beasts and harlots!" Zacky greeted.

"Hey, wayward Vengeance!" Brian returned. "We've been worried, man."

"Well, I was in L.A. with My Chem," Zacky said.

"Johnny tells us you met someone," Jimmy remarked.

Zacky suddenly looked uncomfortable. "Umm, yeah, I did."

"So…tell us about the lucky lady," Matt encouraged.

"It's, um, not…" Zacky trailed off.

"It's me," Frankie cut in. He took Zacky's hand in his, as if to prove that what he claimed was true.

"Seriously?" Jimmy queried.

"Yeah," Zacky confirmed, not looking at any of us.

There was a moment of silence, then Matt said, "It's about fucking time! Jeez! You and Frankie were pissing me off almost as much as Marissa and Gates!"

Zacky's attention went to where Marissa and Brian were snuggled against each other. "You finally got your head out of your ass?" he asked Brian.

Brian nodded. "Yep. And now, Marissa and I are engaged."

Zacky smiled. "Congratulations." He actually sounded like he meant it.

"Thank you," Marissa said softly.

I knew she still felt guilty about the way she'd treated him.

"Hell, we have another happy couple in the house," Jimmy stated. "This calls for another round of booze!"

**********

It was well after three a.m. when Jimmy and I got back to his house. We took a long shower together, then got ready for bed.

Before I could crawl beneath the sheets, however, Jimmy grabbed my arm and turned me to face him.

"It would be anticlimactic for me to even try to compete with the proposal that Marissa received today," he said, gazing into my eyes. "But I want you to know that I do intend to spend the rest of my life with you. I can't imagine life with anyone else. So don't let any other sexy drummers lure you away."

"That could never happen," I assured him very seriously. "I love you, Jimmy."

"I love you, too, Kris." He kissed me gently and we climbed into bed.

Everyone was finally happy after almost two months of hell. Well, Josie probably wasn't happy about Brian leaving her at the altar, and that thought only made me smile. Who gave a shit about her? Brian was with the girl who deserved him more than anyone in the world.

I inched even closer to Jimmy, closed my eyes, and slept better than I had in a long time.
♠ ♠ ♠
I updated this as soon as Mibba started cooperating again because I knew y'all were dying to see how it ended. Didn't I tell you Brian would make up for everything???? :)

Thank you to everyone who read, commented, subscribed, and recommended! It means the world to me. And a special thanks to these individuals:

CrazyPebbles21
Zacky Vengeance;
gothique4
NormanReedus.
Shazza Rose
Matt Sanders;
HanerJoy
MoMo_92
CherryV
BeenDownThatRoad
Vixyn Of Shadows
let.the.flames.begin
sup.jessay
Lucyy Jayy
SevenfoldGirl
brittyvmadden

For those of you who have been asking me to do another A7X story, or if I have any others, here are the three that have gained the most recognition:


-- Womanizer
-- Our Day Will Come (sequel to Womanizer)
-- Sister of Syn