Status: I need some motivation. I haven't written a chapter in this story since April. I started Chapter 10, but just barely. GIVE ME MOTIVATION!

On Thin Ice

On Thin Ice: New Beginnings

The day I woke up, I knew it wasn’t going to be like the last time. Last time, I woke up nest to Alexandre Burrows, this time, I woke to Carey Price.

-Sometime later-

“Mac, are you okay? You’re spacing out again.” It was Burrows, and he was waving his hand in my face.

I blinked quickly, dismissing the tears that stung my eyes. “Yeah. Sorry Burrs. These last few months have been too…..stressful.”

Alex sighed, “Mac, you can’t keep beating yourself up over him. I know you guys were really close before the accident, but look, some things happen for a reason. If you guys were meant to be together, you would still be together. There are better guys out in the world for you; you just have to know where to look.”

“Yeah, right. Because Mr. Right is just going to waltz through the door and sweep me off my feet?” I rolled my eyes, “Too cliché.”

He leaned forward, “With you, he’s more likely to skate into your life. He shouldn’t have to be Mr. Right. Truthfully, the expectation is too high.”

I stared hard at the window, “Well, I’m tired of losing everything good in my life.”

Alex sighed exasperated, “Carey wasn’t good! If he was, he wouldn’t have cheated on you for that whore you called your best friend!” He stood from him chair, throwing a twenty on the table for the bill.

He turned his back to me, and started to walk away. Right before he left the entrance, he looked back and added, “Mac, sometimes, everything you are looking for, is right in front of you.” Alex turned away and walked out of the door.

I made him angry. Talking about Carey Price always made him frustrated, and he loses his normally cool temper. A couple months back, after I had gotten out of the hospital, I found out Carey had cheated on me with my so-called “bestfriend”.

His apology for it seemed absolutely sincere, but it hurt too much to forgive him. I guess it was a good thing I never told him about my dream while I was in a coma. And just like I have always done when it came to heartbreak, I ran away.

I enrolled at Yale, a prestigious American college, and finished my collegiate years there with a master’s degree, at the top of my class, a National Championship for our hockey team, and a gold medal in the Winter Olympics for Women’s Hockey, Team Czechoslovakia, of course.

Through all of my accomplishments and downfalls, was Alexandre Burrows. He always made sure that I did my best, and that I would never settle for anything less than what I deserved. Too bad that the only thing that could make me truly happy again, is to be back with Burrows.

Of course, I’d have to find a way to scavenge enough courage to tell him that I love him. I sighed, and stood from my seat, and hurried out the door, to catch up with Burrows, who had walked down the street to a park.

I gazed at his masculine figure through his thick winter coat. Such fierce tenderness, it was an addicting presence that I’ve grown accustomed to. I inhaled the crisp December air, and started to make my way towards him.

His back was still turned to me when I reached him. I wrapped my arms around his abdomen, and buried my face in the back of his coat. “I’m sorry, Alex. I keep making you mad, and I don’t mean to…it just…comes out…” My grip tightened and loosened as Burrows turned around to hug me back.

Alex was silent for a moment as he held me in his arms, “It’s not you that I get mad at. It’s Price that makes me angry. He had such a good person that loved him, and he let you go. He broke your heart…” He looked down at my face. “What’s wrong?”

I didn’t even notice the tears streaming down my face. “Alex, I….I had a dream while I was in the hospital.”

“That’s odd. You hardly ever remember your dreams.” He took pointed out. “What is so different about this one?”

”This one…is about….” I looked around uneasily. “Do you mind if I tell you later? I don’t know why, but I feel…I don’t know….weird, standing out in the open like this.”

Burrows’ eyes flew to my face, “I thought you had a flight to catch to Minnesota in a couple hours for the holidays. Why the change of plans?”

I let out a long sigh, “More like a change in weather. My flight was cancelled because Minnesota is getting nailed by a huge winter blizzard, and it isn’t expected to clear up until after Christmas.”

Burrs took my hand into his, “Stay the night with me. You don’t have to spend your holidays in your lonely apartment in the room downstairs from me. Besides, we still need to discuss this dream of yours.” He kissed my knuckles and let my hand fall to my side.

His words from the little coffee shop rang through my mind, “Mac, sometimes….. sometimes everything you are looking for is right in front of you.” He was right; I only wished I had the courage to tell him. I wish he knew that just being beside him makes me feel secure, just like in my dream. I felt his hand lace with my own, and we began leaving our footprints in the Vancouver snow.