‹ Prequel: One More Year
Status: Comments = Love and I DO reply!

The Next Year

Disaster

The morning of the 14th started like the rest had in the last couple weeks, we got up and went to the informal skate. Today was different though. Today we all felt the tension in the air. Tonight would begin the one word we all dreaded, Lockout. Lockout is _far_ different from a walkout. It wasn't that we didn't want to be working; it was that we had no agreement in how to make things fair for everyone. Right now all hope looked bleak.

I sat in my stall, or what would be my stall, and pulled my gear off. We had a good hard session today and were now all working on keeping ourselves from getting too bogged down. Chris, Dana and all the trainers had been in and out a lot since we got back into the room. Finally they all just came in, bringing chairs with them and sat down to talk to us. This was unusual but under the circumstances welcome. "Look guys, we all know what's going to happen at midnight; none if us want it to but we know what's coming down the pipe. That means that as of tomorrow we won't be able to help you at all. So, that being said; please remember to pack your gear up. Don't leave it here, you won't be able to get it."

I sighed heavily and stood up to pull out my bag from its storage place. They were right; this was going to suck. They wouldn't be able to help us and we wouldn't be able to talk to anyone in the Organization. A lot of the guys were rumbling about how were they going to stay in ice shape now and the like.

Sid stood. "Look guys, none of us are happy about this. I've got some calls in to a couple places, one being Southpointe, to see if we can hold unofficial practices there until this blows over. In the meantime we all read the stuff the PA is sending out and do what we can to keep hope alive. Get yourselves checked by the trainers one last time if you think you may need it. It'll be up to us after this." We all were nodding, he was right it would be up to us from here until who knew when.

Dana came over and tapped my shoulder. Turning around I smiled at him. "Come see me before you leave. I've got some things for you that I'm not letting you walk out of here without." He rubbed my shoulder a little bit and turned back to his own thoughts.

I wasn't sure what he really wanted but I nodded before he turned away. Fortunately so far no one in the locker room cared that I had a bit different parts than they did. I was a part of the family, not someone to ogle at.

The reporters came in one last time before we were all changed and of course every question was about what was about to happen. I got tired of not being able to answer if I would go to Wilkes-Barrie Scranton or not, that wasn't my contract so I probably wouldn't. That meant for however long this was I was an out of work hockey player just like the rest of the guys.

The reporters were eventually shooed out so we could all get ready and get out of here one last time. After my shower, I threw on my streets and went to go find Dana. True to form he was back in his domain. "You told me to come talk to you before we left." I was leaning against the wall and dreading how long this would drag out.

Dana turned in his chair and smiled. "I have permission to give you something that belongs to you." He stood up and beckoned me into the equipment room. I followed him and was curious. Dana stopped as we got to pads and such. "The _only_ reason you are getting this is because _no_ _one_ else can wear it and it's monogrammed for you." He pulled out a brand new Reebok set of pro women's pads. I knew they were women's pads cause they had my new name and number embroidered on them. "Jeff came in after you left yesterday and made it clear that Reebok wanted you to get your gear. I then talked to Ray and Mario who agreed that your old gear was beyond help, kind of like someone's jock. We think that having you protected correctly will help us when this is all over and the season starts. He said something about having more for you that wasn't quite ready yet. If it comes here I can't give it to you." He handed me the shoulder pads. "I can make sure you get this though. We've got 2 more sets in the room under lock and key."

I took the shoulders and sighed. Jeff and I had worked since I had officially re-signed with Reebok. Here now was the first product of our work. "Thanks Dana, I can't tell you guys what this means. Jeff and I have worked on this for months. I'll call him and have him bring everything else to the house so that I'll have it, or at least most of it. I'm hoping we can hammer something out quickly but I'm trying to prep for a long term problem."

Dana put a hand on my shoulder. "We all want this over quickly, smart of you to be ready for a long one though. Be careful would you. You have records to break, I just know it." I heard a chuckle behind me and turned to find my dad and Chris standing there.

"I'll be ready when the time comes. Between now and then, I'll be as careful as I can." Dad kissed my temple and hugged me. Chris just smiled. This was going to be a hellish time until this damned lock out was over.

As usual Sid and I were the last ones out of the room. That was not only by design to get my gear out but also because Sid was trying to prolong leaving. He had nothing to worry about, having signed a 12-year contract this summer. It was the rest of us that had reason to worry. We finally lugged our gear to the car and stowed it. On the way home my phone rang. It was mom. "Hey mom. No I don't think we had plans. Well unless you've talked, oh Nathalie and Mario came to you. Who's going to be there? Oh, what time and what can we bring? Ok, sounds good well see you there." Putting the phone away I caught Sid's attention partially on me. "Dinner party with Mario and fam, my folks, Mari, G and us. I think it's the last time before we can't talk. This completely sucks you know."

He smiled. "Yeah it does, for both of us. We'll cope though. Did you call Jeff yet?" I shook my head. "Better do that when we get home." I chuckled dryly. "I hate having my rookie year be so screwed up. I'm trying to think of some ideas to keep us moving forward just in case it's a short one." We turned onto the highway and we turned on the radio. Before we could hear too much about the probable lockout, Sid turned the station to The X.

It didn't take us long to get home. It looked like Geno was already back by the looks of things. His gear was already spread out to dry. We had ours join his to dry and then went into the house. He and Anna were there watching TV. We joined them in their vegging out. Geno sighed and pet Anna's hair. Something was not right.

We decided that it would be easier to just take one vehicle to Mario's that night. When we got there at 5:30, everyone else was already there. We all got out and into the house. We were all working hard _not_ to talk about what was going on. I think having the kids there helped.

When we sat down and truly got dinner underway, Mario stood to give a toast. "To friends and family. May all of ours remember how important they truly are in this upsetting time." We all agreed and heartily toasted with him.

We were all making small talk, trying to avoid the problem that we were facing. Finally I couldn't stand it anymore. "Is there _any_ way around the not talking to people in the organization ruling? I mean I'm probably freaking out about nothing but going for god knows how long without talking to my own family is going to be horrible." I had almost slipped and said sucked royally, by I noticed Anna as I looked around the table; I would _not_ be the one who taught her that word.

Mario and my folks all sighed. "Unfortunately not, we've been looking too. The only way that we see around it, is to basically break the contract we signed with you and assign you to Wilkes-Barrie, but we _don't_ want to do that." There was some soft grumbling about it from everyone else.

Sid sighed. "Ok this is going to sound really selfish but I'm glad you aren't sending her down like that. I've been thinking about this too and the only way I see for her to communicate is through her brothers. Not ideal of course." The table chuckled.

Anna piped up. "Mama, does that mean you and Papa won't be able to talk either?" Man she was a sharp cookie. All eyes turned to her as I hear Mari inhale sharply; I think she hadn't thought of that.

It was not Geno's turn to sigh. "Have solution to that maybe. Metallurg Magnitogorsk call Russian agent, offer me place if NHL locked out. I would be there soon as can get there." He rubbed Mari's hand. "Didn't know how to tell you."

Tears sprang into her eyes. "No, no that would solve some things. I probably would have to stay here and get Anna into her school routine and everything. I'd miss you like crazy, but it's your hometown team and I know how much them calling means to you." She put a hand on his arm as he wiped a tear from her face.

Ray chuckled a bit; he'd had an idea it seemed. "Well, we might be able to get away with having you _not_ be part of the organization if that's what you want. We could put you on family leave."

Michaela looked from her husband to him and back. "No, don't do that. Getting Anna in school where we will be most of the year is more important, especially with how her life has gone so far. I may ask for some time off at Christmas to see my in-laws though." She seemed one step ahead of even Ray, but that was just her.

Alexa got up from her place and came over to me. Laying her had on my shoulder she wrapped her arms around my neck. "That means you won't be able to talk to us either doesn't it?" That would be another problem I would have, not being able to talk to even the kids.

"That's not true, Alexa." Mario said. "I asked specifically if children were also under the gag order, knowing how close you all are. I was told that children on both sides were exempt unless they were also employees. What it means is that Aleks can't talk to her folks and Mari. Talking to you guys and Anna is perfectly allowable." Trust Mario to have asked that, it showed how well he knew his organization.

Alexa kissed my cheek and then skipped over to her father. "Merci Papa. It would hurt too much not to talk to Aleks about stuff. Does this mean she can talk to Maman as well? Cause, well that's kind of important too." Yep, when Alexa couldn't talk to her folks about something she came to me and asked that I talk to them. Well all of them had been like that if I was honest. Mario nodded and everyone at the table exhaled, we'd found a loophole.

Of course halfway through dinner, the phone rang. Mario excused himself and went to answer it. That seemed to be a cue to change the subject as Nathalie did. "So, Michaela, when is your house going to be ready to move into? We noticed a large truck t’ere yesterday afternoon."

Mari smiled. "Those were all of our countertops being delivered. They had problems at the plant where they were manufactured so while they scrambled to get back on schedule, our builders finished other areas and such. Now that they are here, things should move along quickly so we can get in there possibly before October. I believe all the painting is done and the floors are in. All they have to do now is get the counters in and those areas finished. Then we get it inspected for occupancy and move in." Anna clapped her hands and grinned. "As you can tell _someone is excited about getting into her _new_ new room." All of us laughed.

Ray just shook his head. "I can't believe you guys got a whole house built over the summer. Sid, Aleks I know you're building one as well. How is that going?"

Sid beamed. "Well they are working on the non-load bearing walls in the basement this week and trying to get the whole house sheet rocked in the next couple days. We meet with an Interior Designer that Nathalie recommended tomorrow afternoon and start looking at that kind of stuff. I have no idea how that is going to come together, I'm hoping Aleks will drag me through that process and understand it. The rink is in and they are waiting to completely finish it off so we know that no debris from construction is on it. The upper floors are all framed up and were approved by Aleks." He laid a hand on my arm. "She had some great ideas for the basement which is why it's only _now_ being finished off. Oh that reminds me, they want us to find someone to do that locker room idea you had babe. It looks like there might be enough room for 5 or 6 stalls in that room, not just the 4 we asked for."

I grinned. "Oh that's great. I'm sure we can find someone to talk to about that. They'll have to be custom made for the space, which really can't be done until the floors are in." Ah the joys of home construction...

When Mario returned he looked grim. "It's happening for sure. That was Bettman making sure that I personally understood what that would mean." He rolled his eyes. "There are times when I think the hiring of that man was a huge mistake." _Everyone_ over the age of 21 scoffed at that.

"Of _course_ it was a mistake, but at the time he was unfortunately the best they could find. He has done _some_ good for the League as a whole. He has also done as much harm, if not more, in the same time period." Trust my dad to hit the nail on the head. "No one at this table is happy about what is happening. To throw this old man's two cents worth in, I think the players are _not_ being as selfish as they are being portrayed. They are not as a rule making thousands a game, unlike some other sports I could name. They are trying to look out for the up and coming players as well as the future players for the League. At the same time, I understand that revenue is important. The stubborn owners are looking at their bottom lines and are not happy. The players are looking at the future and trying hard to protect it as well as themselves. This will not be an easy thing to negotiate."

Hours, and several courses, later we were all working on saying good night. Getting into the car I heard Mari sighed deeply. She was unhappy, I could hear it. "You know he will stay if you say the word." I said to her.

She turned from the window and looked at me, a tear streaking her cheek. "I can't do that to him. I want him here but I can't hold him back." I reached over from my seat and patted her knee.

"You know you won't lose him Mari, he's _so_ yours. Pat's been looking at options for us and the insurance is too high for Sid to go and no one wants me really. At least he's wanted somewhere." I handed her a tissue. "You'll get to finish your house. You know what he likes and that should help."

She laughed abruptly. "How am I going to finish it when he's hours ahead of me and I can't drag you to every store?"

I grinned. "Oh, _that's_ easy. You ask Nathalie to help and she drags me along because of course we need some new things for our place too. Then, what the League doesn't know won't hurt anyone." I had been doing some thinking about how to do all of this during dinner. I had even already passed the idea on to Nathalie and my mom. We'd _find_ ways to talk to each other and _not_ break the stupid rules.

The look of delight on Mari's face said it all. She thought I was the best and most devious person alive right now. "You guys can help Anna set up her room when the time comes. I'm sure we can find people to help us settle in."

The guys got in the car and we headed back to my folks' place. Everyone who had been there had needed the last hurrah that was tonight’s dinner. As we pulled into the garage Sid sighed. "I don't know how we're going to break them but I hope we do it sooner rather than later." It was a sentiment shared by us all.
♠ ♠ ♠
I will not apologize for having the Lockout happening, I hate it but it gets the plans in line. As this is an Alternate Universe from the Real World, things will be different from how they truly went.

Questions, comments, rantings, ravings, Etc. are always welcome.

See I do love you guys, 2 chapters in 2 days!