‹ Prequel: One More Year
Status: Comments = Love and I DO reply!

The Next Year

New Year, More History

*Dec. 30, 2013* *Sid's POV*

Anthony called as I was getting ready to leave Southpointe. "Sidney, I have some wonderful news for you. Your rings are ready." I was floored. He said 2 weeks and it's only been about 1.

"Uh... That's great news! You said 2 weeks though, why are they early?" I was trying not to rush getting back into my clothes but it was difficult as I really wanted those rings!

Anthony laughed. "You came in with such clarity with what you wanted, it was hard going home. I actually got them finished yesterday but I need a chance to catch my breath before calling you. When do you want to come get them?"

I had to tamp down my elation. "Would after lunch be good for you?" I got another laugh in response. "OK maybe before lunch." I admitted. Flower was looking at me oddly. "Hey would you mind if I brought some people with me, without them I would have still been floundering for a direction."

I got the go ahead and Anthony hung up. I sidled up to Flower and hip checked him. "You and V need to follow me today, after we'll go get lunch." He grinned at me.

"Does this have something to do with that call?" I couldn't help the grin that crossed my face. He chuckled. "Fine, but I expect a good lunch." I clapped him on the shoulder and then felt a hand on my own.

Turning I found Tanger standing there. "Did I hear right? Some very special items are ready?" I laughed which I guess was answer enough. "You have to do something special with them. A special way to give them to her." I smiled, I had plans for these for sure.

I knew that Aleks was meeting some of the girls to set up the party the team was having, our only adults only party, New Year's Eve. We couldn't do it every year but we could this year so Aleks had been helping the girls getting everything planned. The theme was 'Everything that glitters is gold'. We all got told that the dress code was gold. How I was going to do this I had no clue yet. I looked around and noticed she was out of earshot. "I'm getting them blessed by the Metropolitan here hopefully this afternoon. His office is already aware I want to do this and why. I should probably call them." I moved off to do just that.

Tanger wanted to come with us so we all went to Anthony's shop. He was helping someone pick out a ring when we got there so we waited. Kris and I were looking at the wedding bands case when he gasped. I looked at him oddly which must have kicked him into gear. "Kallie and I decided what kinds of rings we want. I thought we were going to have to get them custom made but he has them right there!"

Kris called Kallie and rapidly spoke in French with her. Vero sidled up to me. "So... We get to see them before anyone else. Good call, even if I did have to beg Kallie to watch Estelle." She took a picture of the rings Tanger was babbling about and sent it off. "Those will make Kallie very happy. Rose gold and platinum are hard to find together." She got a text back that she showed me. 'Make him get them!' "See? They've been looking since they figured it out. It's an inside thing. The first jewelry he gave her was rose and white gold."

I remembered him getting something like that. "The ones with the heart and infinity symbol?" She nodded. "I hope she knows who he originally got those for." I knew they were supposed to be a make up gift for his now ex.

Kris was off the phone and chuckling at the message on Vero's phone. "She knows, they look much better on Kallie."

Soon Anthony was in front of me with a box. "Good afternoon." He opened the box. I couldn't say anything as I slowly picked up Aleks' new engagement ring and turned it. There was the heart shaped prong I asked for. "They are ready to go. All sized how she likes it and everything."

I lifted my eyes to meet his. "Thank you, they're more gorgeous than I thought they would be." V took the wedding band and turned it over in her hand. "It was the right one to get." I said, now fully confident in my vision. "I think I'll give these to her tomorrow night at the party. Start the new year right and everything."

Soon we were having lunch, after Kris got the rings he had been looking at. He was lucky that Vero knew Kallie's ring size. He promised Anthony he would bring Kallie in today so the rings could be properly sized. "So mon capitaine, are you looking forward to your woman's hard work?"

"Huh? What do you mean hard work? Aleks always works hard." I was lost. To give Flower a chance to elaborate I took a bite of my lunch.

"Did she not tell you? She is the head of the party committee for tomorrow's party." I was floored, I thought she was just helping not the head of it. He laughed at me. "Oh ho! You did not know! Vero has told me that Aleks has thrown herself into the planning. Even rolled with twice losing where they had chosen since the season start."

Vero laughed. "That is because the first two places did not know who she was. Our choice now knows who she is and loves that she has taken this on this party while playing still." That explained some if the phone calls she'd had. Vero put her hand on my arm. "You are going to love all the work she has put into this. Ask her about it when you get home."

We went our separate ways and I soon found myself at home going through my schedule for January. It was pretty light with the exception of games. We even got to spend a good part of the month in town, including a 4 day stretch where we had no games mid month. The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to know what Dan was going to be doing with those days. I found out that if things were going well we would be getting 2 of those days off completely. I could work with that.

I had gotten up and started on finding dinner supplies when Aleks got home. She was in a great mood. "I don't know what I'm more excited for. The game or the party." She giggled at herself. I smiled at her, if she only knew.

"Let's just try to enjoy beating the Devils first." I cautioned as we ate. I did try to get out of her what I was going to be wearing but she wouldn't say anything.

*Dec. 31st, 2013 5:30 pm*

We didn't beat the Devils. We tried hard but Brodeur was too much of a wall to break. I was sitting in my stall after I had my shower and had gotten redressed. I knew we would go over everything on the second but I couldn't pull myself out of what had gone wrong. I heard footsteps and looked up. "Come on, I wanna show you something." She pulled me up and out onto the bench. She cuddled up and put her head on my shoulder. "Look at where we're lucky enough to work. After everything we have been through we're still doing what we love."

I grumbled at her. "You remember we lost right? On this ice." She sighed heavily and wrapped my arm around her.

"No more Captain for today. For the rest of the night I only want my husband with me." She turned me to kiss her and afterward bent down to pick something up. "In fact. I only want him, forever." She handed me... A puck? "Open it Sidney."

Frowning I found that it had been sliced across the disc. It easily came apart. Inside was a ring. It took me completely by surprise. Aleks had found a replacement for my lost ring. I picked up the band and noticed there was something embedded in the ring itself. Holy crap those are black diamonds! "It's gorgeous."

She beamed at me. "I looked online for something that seemed like you. I found dozens, so many that I needed help narrowing it down. Vero helped me, though she did a lot of giggling while we were looking through them." I knew why and couldn't quite keep the smile off my face. "Anyway finally I was down to a band with an eternity symbol on it and this one. She took me to Anthony's, he couldn't help grinning a lot either. He told me he could order either but I had to decide between them." That explained why he wanted my ring size and how Vero knew hers.

I twisted the ring on the tip of my ring finger. "I think you chose the right one. We both deserve some bling." I held out my hands. "You wanna or should I?" Aleks smiled and took hold of my hand and the ring.

"I can't wait to tell the world you're mine for good." She whispered as she pushed the ring into place. I captured her face and kissed her breathless. When I pulled back for air she sighed and whispered one word. "Wow."

We got home and she tugged me upstairs. "Come on! We have to get changed and to the The Omni so I can make sure it's perfect for tonight." She shoved me towards the bed and went into the closet still speaking. "Don't even say you have nothing to wear." She came out holding a gold and white vest and a gold and white plaid tie. "Take off the jacket and put these on. If you want you can leave the jacket here." She set them on the bed and I heard her kind of grumble on her way back I to the closet. "Finally his boring taste in suits pays off."

Looking at down at my black suit I was slightly offended. I also knew better than to argue with my wife. I took off the jacket and put on the vest and tie. Damn! How did she always find things that make me look even better. I slid my jacket on again and couldn't believe how striking I looked. I knew what I had to do. I went into the bathroom and into my drawer. I pulled out the box I would need for midnight. I came out whistling something I heard in the room, totally unprepared for the sight that greeted me.

Aleks was standing against the door frame to the closet zipping up her shoes. She had a one shouldered light gold dress on, she looked more beautiful than I'd seen in a while. Not that she wasn't gorgeous, she just sometimes kicked it up a notch. This was one of those times. I must have not said anything for too long as she looked up and chuckled. "I love it when I make you speechless."

I flushed and went over to take her hand. "You do that a lot more often than you think." She blushed which was what I wanted. We headed back out shortly to get to The Omni.

Following Aleks I stepped into the room we were going to be in and gasped. It was incredible! The far end had a dance floor and TV while there were tables and the beginnings of a buffet closer to me. "God this place looks great!" Aleks said happily as we found Maureen fiddling over a centerpiece.

She turned and grinned at us. "Doesn't it? Kallie brought her Aunt and Uncle and wow! Jayne entertained the kids while Denis and the rest of us did the decorating. Chris grabbed the kids and went home and I've been finishing the centerpieces." She took hold of Aleks and sighed. "Thank you for taking this party on and insisting that we pool our babysitting to one location. Carole-Lynn was so happy to have all of us moms helping her with a kid friendly party at their place. We'll have fun and so will they."

Aleks smiled. "That's great Maureen. You better get going soon so you can change. I can take over the final touches. Everyone knows to be here at 7:30 and this party is over at 1 am so hopefully everything will be smooth." Maureen smiled and soon was on her way. We had an hour before people were supposed to show up.

Finally everyone was here and the party was in full swing. I hadn't known it was a masquerade party until Aleks handed me my mask. It was really comfortable unlike some of the guy's masks. The TV had New Year's Rocking Eve on and the dance floor was hardly empty. We didn't have a DJ, we had iPods. It was more fun that way really. We got to dance to things we liked. Aleks turned off the current music after a half hour. "OK gang time to have our last meal of 2013. No pushing and be careful please!"

After everyone had eaten their fill, and for hockey players that can be a lot, the timing was right. I excused myself from the table and after emptying the dance floor I had everyone's attention. "I'm not here to harp on anyone or anything. However I do want to single someone out." I crooked a finger at Aleks. "Come here babe."

She got up and joined me on the floor. "Through everything you have always amazed me by simply being you. Everyone knows what happened in New York a few weeks ago, but what they don't know is that we both have taken care of that problem again." I got down on one knee in front of her. "Aleksandra, I love you. You are the strongest woman I know and I am honored that you are my wife." I heard sniffling and a few whistles from the gang. "What happened was horrible but I pray these make up for the loss." I pulled out the box and opened it towards her. The look of shock and joy on her face said that I had gotten this right. "Would you do me the honor of wearing these rings as my wife?"

You could have heard a pin drop. She tried a few times to speak but couldn't get anything to come out. Finally she hauled me up and kissed me to the rousing cheer of our extended family. As I took them one by one out of the box and slipped them on her hand she finally was able to whisper. "They're gorgeous, thank you Sidney."

I turned her hand so she could see the prongs. "They're custom made. No one else has these rings. Anthony and V were giggling because they knew about all of our new rings before we did." Aleks teared up as she got a good look. "Tanger told me you liked these prongs, Flower helped me pick the stone. Vero helped me find your wedding band and Anthony pulled them together."

She dabbed at her eyes a bit, no one had yet gotten to us but they were close. "I guess we both thought we needed bling. I _will_ get it out of you just how much going this is too." I knew she would too. Just then Mari and Geno got up to us.

"Oh! Let me see, let me see!" Mari grabbed Aleks' hand and gasped. "Now _those_ are rocks worthy of being on your hand sis." Geno just bumped shoulders with me smiling. I gladly let Mari whisk Aleks into the group of ladies while the guys came over to me.

"You know, I had no idea you could be so romantic Sid." Nealer said as he jostled me. "Maybe the 'Kid' has finally grown up." He got his his hair ruffled for that which immediately sent him looking for a mirror.

Duper came over and grinned at me. "Did good Sid. She's near tears but happy ones. Better find a DD for tonight." He bumped elbows with me while his voice got that 'someone's gonna get some' tone.

Eventually I extracted myself and found I was standing next to Tanger. "Good job Sid. The perfect re-proposal if you ask me." He got arms around him and Kallie appeared. "I still think ours was better though."

She laughed. "You used chocolate, he used a whole lot of diamonds. Sid, thanks for taking Kris with you. We found our rings at Anthony's too." That was good news, she had liked what he'd found.

*Aleks' POV*

Everything got back to party normal with music, dancing and more alcohol than I thought I was having. I did notice that Sid didn't drink as much as he would when we were cutting loose. That kind of boded well for how I was going to ring in the New Year. Every one of the girls had to get a look at my new set. Almost all of them said it wasn't a set it was a quarry. They were right, this would be a lot harder to hide due to it's size, but I also knew that we were winding down on having our marriage be a secret.

In fact Pat, Sid and I discussed when we wanted to announce it via Skype. After the Olympics and after the Stadium Series too. That meant the 3rd of March. We had 2 months and a few days to go. First though the team selection for Team Canada. Team USA would be announcing their roster after the Winter Classic. Pretty much Sid was a lock, it was the rest of the team that was up in the air. I was hopeful as Babs had said that those named to the team were going to be the ones playing the best in the beginning of the season. I knew I was at the top for rookies, Olli was close behind me too.

I was shaken out of my reverie by Sid chuckling in my ear. "Wakey wakey." He said shortly there after. I shoved him a bit and frowned at him. "What had you so far away?"

"Olympics." He nodded, he knew I was nervous if I would make it after everything I went through to try. "Waiting for that phone call is driving me crazy."

Sid handed me a glass of wine. "I thought that might be the case. I have a good feeling babe. You'll get a call." He turned us to the TV and we saw that it was 10 minutes to midnight. He pulled me closer. "Last 10 minutes of 2013. What do you want to do with it."

I downed what was left in my wine glass. "Dance with my marvelous husband." We set our glasses down and he walked me onto the floor.

"For you, anything." OK so it was more like swaying to the music, but neither of us cared. We danced until the final minute and then accepted a glass of champagne. Along with everyone else we huddled near the TV and counted. "10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5." I reached for the balloon release. "4, 3, 2, 1! HAPPY NEW YEAR!" I tugged on the line and black, white and gold balloons rumbled down from the net. Once I let go of the line I found myself being snugged up to Sid and then our New Year's kiss happened.

We crossed arms and toasted the New Year as if we had gotten married again. We also then took off our masks. Once things were a dull roar again, I called for attention. "Hey losers! Time of the best part of the night! Bring out the cake!" It was a masquerade cake in the party colors. I figured having something at this time to soak up the alcohol would be a good thing.

We all enjoyed the last hour we were going to be there. Some of the girls were afraid there would be cake left over but I knew my teammates better than that. As we wound down things that were personal property were collected and everyone said their goodbyes.

When Sid and I finally got home we noticed a few local parties still going strong but all I wanted was my husband and our bed. Of course I was having trouble getting up the 3 stairs from the garage into the house. Sid let me try to get up the steps again before he finally picked me up and carried me. "My hero."

He carried me all the way to the bed and laid me upon it. He then slowly stripped us both of every stitch of clothing. "You are _the_ most beautiful woman Aleks. Bruises and all." I blushed, I had earned every one of my bruises while being the best player I could. It wasn't difficult to know where his mind was, he was hard against my thigh. "I can't wait to tell the world I was lucky enough to have you say yes."

He was tweaking and exciting places on me that made it difficult to say anything. I moaned as his hand slid between my thighs. That was where I wanted his attention. "Like that?" I angled my hips towards his questing hands. I didn't feel him move me until he was lifting me a bit more. "Happy New Year love." He whispered as he sunk into me. Then there was no need for words.

*Jan. 7, 2014*

We were staying overnight in Vancouver after the game against the Canucks . Today was the day of the Team Canada's Men's Hockey announcement. I was coming out of the shower when I heard Sid on the phone. "Thank you sir, no. I want to be surprised. I'm sure. She's out of the shower though if you wanted to make that call. Thank you, I'll do my best." He turned to me smiling. "They offered me the C."

I chuckled. I knew it would be him or Jon who got it. "Well after what you did here 4 years ago, I can't blame them." I kissed him lightly. "Congrats hon." He swung me around a little bit, obviously happy to be on the team, let alone it's Captain.

My phone started to ring. I got set down and laughing picked it up. "Hello?"

"How's my favorite duckling?" Stevie always called me duckling. "Good game the other night."

I smiled and laughed into the phone. "Hi Stevie, it was a good one. No new bruises this time either. To what do I owe this call?" I knew he was calling about Team Canada I just wanted to get the news. Was I going to be a spectator I Sochi or would I be too busy being an athlete?

"Well Kenny and I had a long discussion about who got to call you and I won. Aleks, I taught you how to skate, did the best I could to make sure you were safe while learning the game from the team, and have always been there when you needed advice. Now I have a question for you. Are you ready to make Olympic History?" I gasped, holy shit no way! "Aleksandra Malakhov, you have made Team Canada's Men's Ice Hockey Team. Will you do your best to represent your country and promote both the game and yourself?"

I was choked up. I hoped I would make it but knew nothing was certain. Now I was being told I was not only good enough, I was wanted. Through trying not to tear up I answered. "I'm always ready to make my country proud Stevie. I better warn Pat of the firestorm that's about to hit. Not to mention the Pens PR team." Sid pulled me back against his chest as I finished my thought. "Thank you Stevie, for everything."

"I'll see you in New York for the charter. Don't get hurt between now and then." He hung up then and I was left feeling elated and yet drained.

Sid bullied me down to the Team Breakfast and then onto the bus for morning skate. I did manage to sneak away briefly to let Jen know that requests for me were about to skyrocket. She smiled. "Got your call already huh? That's good, thanks for warning me. If it gets to be too much let me know."

I heard a few other guys on their phones before we got to the rink. In the end Sid, Kuni and I were the Canadian representatives for this year. This gave the Pens 8 Olympians in total. The room was happy for us all. Dan pulled us back into the right frame of mind to focus on the Canucks.

Of course by the end of practice everyone knew I had made Team Canada and that's all they wanted to talk about. I knew I could play with anyone so that wasn't a concern for me. It was for most of the reporters though. "So do you think that you will be a target for other countries when you're on the ice?"

I laughed. "Are you kidding me? I'll be no more of a target there than I am here. Anyone in this room knows how many bruises I ice down every night. If you go and look at every time I'm on the ice I don't shy away from anything or anyone. I go where I need to and do what I have to so my team has the best possible chance to win. The Maple Leaf won't change that unless Coach Babcock asks me to." I was getting tired of getting asked if I could hack playing in the NHL.

Jen had been staying closer to me than usual and must have heard the anger bubbling in my voice. "Ok gang! That's enough for now! Time for everyone to get going for lunch!" She began shooing people who didn't belong out. Once that was done she sighed and came over to me. "Who _do_ you want to talk to about this? I'm guessing people who know how hard you have been working and maybe The Trib guys."

I sighed. "You might as well add someone from the Windsor Star too. I have a feeling that they will want someone to talk to me about this. Crap I forgot to call Pat." I stripped off my wet gear and went hunting for my phone. I heard Jen laughing as I dialed my agent.

"Creative Artists Agency how may I direct your call?" Ah the secretary, I did like her.

"Yeah I need to speak with Pat Brisson. My name is Aleksandra Malakhov, I'm one of his clients." I was put on hold and quickly was transferred to Pat.

"And how is my favorite client today?" He answered. I heard him multitasking.

"I'm your favorite today? I might not be after we talk." I sat down and sighed. "You know how we fought for me to possibly go to Sochi? Yeah... That's happening. Stevie called me personally." I heard him exhale.

"I actually knew that already, having watched the broadcast. So what really has you calling me?" His chair squeaked over the phone.

I sighed heavily. "Pat, I'm already getting the can she hack being in the NHL. Is there someway I can _avoid_ getting more can she hack going to Sochi and playing for Mens Team Canada?" I ran a hand through my hair and grim
aced. I really needed a shower.

Pat sighed. "Ok Aleks, I think we can handle this. Give me a couple days to find the right people for you to talk to. People who won't be ignored by the rest of the hockey world. I'll warn you it won't be a quick fix but it will fix it." I heard a few keys clicking. "First thing you need to remember is that if you need a break, ask your PR people for it. Even Sid has some nights he doesn't talk to the media." I barked out a laugh. "Okay, you got me not many and not normally by his own choice. Secondly, don't alter how you play or how you deal with the media. They will be more persistent about these questions but I have an idea on how we can show everyone just how hard you work to be here and stay off the injured list."

I thought about it for a minute. "What if I ask Jen and Pens TV to shadow me over a normal non-game day? Show people from early morning until dinner or something?" Ok so it would be a pain for Sid and I but if it got people off my back I'd do it.

"That sounds like a workable idea. Talk to Sid about it 'cause it does affect him too, but it might be just the thing both of you need. It would show how hard you work and that he isn't a hockey robot. Maybe you guys can do something fun, just a thought." He was distracted now, I could hear it.

"Yeah, look I've got to shower and then talk to Sid, though that might wait until after the game. I'll email you when and if we do it." We said our goodbyes and I got my shower. During lunch I was able to bring the idea up to Sid and Jen. "It's an idea. I know we have Pens & Pins next week and maybe seeing that they are going to be there anyway."

Sid put his hand on mine. "Can we talk more about this after the game? I'm not saying no, just that I want to talk about it more." I nodded. I wanted to talk about this.

Jen smiled. "It would be good press for both of you, even if would make some parts of your lives a bit challenging for the day. Pens & Pins would be a fun thing to show how you two are off ice. People would like to see that. I will happily coordinate with Jason if need be." She excused herself and soon after we were napping.

Later that night, after beating the Canucks 5-4, Sid and I talked seriously about my idea. We decided it would be a good idea, even with all the things we would have to move in the house.
♠ ♠ ♠
I promise I AM working on things! See here's a chapter even! Hope you enjoy it.

Here is not only the anticipated rings finally but also what the are both wearing for New Year's Eve. I tried finding a cut away puck but they were all cut the wrong way.

Questions, comments and other tomfoolery are encouraged!