‹ Prequel: One More Year
Status: Comments = Love and I DO reply!

The Next Year

Party Day!

We settled back down at home easily, even with Jack with us. He alternated which of us he joined during our routines, which both made it fun for us and pushed us. Today was the party we’d planned a week ago and Jack and I were running along a trail we’d found a couple days before. “So, nervous about this shindig?” He asked as we kept moving on the trail.

I chuckled a little bit. “Kind of. Most of them think I’m a gold digger because of a few who won’t listen. I’m hoping that I can change their minds about me. Having you guys here will help me be myself. We _did_ tell you that Max and Nealer come in today for a few days too right?”

He laughed as we rounded a bend. “Yeah you told me. Sid is gonna go pick them up after he finishes his workout while we make what we can of the food.” I nodded and kept going; we were almost to our turn around point. When we got there we each did a mini lap around the stand of trees that were there and began our jog back home.

True to how things had been going we swapped and Sid went out running. I pushed myself hard in the gym, knowing that I was going to have extra calories today. Jack pushed as well, feeling the burn but not overdoing it. It was nice to have him here; I hadn’t really spent much time around him in years. As much as we both had changed, we both were also committed to being friends.

I was mulling over my options in my closet once we were all done and clean again. I wanted to look nice and make a good impression but I didn’t want to look like I was only after Sid for his money. It already looked like it was going to be a gorgeous day, which meant I didn’t really want to wear pants. I decided on a skort and tank top. The tank was aqua so I dug out my matching wedge sandals. I added some lavender amethyst earrings and necklace to my jewelry, threw my hair up into a messy bun and I was set.

I walked into the kitchen and began working on the extras for the two large salads we were making. The meat was either marinating or already into patties, we hadn’t yet sliced up the veggies yet but that was next on my list. Sid came over and kissed my shoulder. “I’m going to get the guys. Do we need anything else?”

I peered over my shoulder at him and shook my head. “Not that I can think of, unless they guys want something specific to drink. If so then that would be it. I’m sure we can handle this end of things.” Jack nodded from the other side of the island.

Sid smiled. “If you’re sure. Don’t let the guys give her any flack, some of them _really_ hate her but have barely even met her. I’m sure it’s because of Matt and Dave. Oh and babe, Marchy called while you guys were in the gym. His girlfriend’s son isn’t coming with them. It’s his week with his dad.”

I sighed. “Aw the little man was so much fun, maybe another time. Go or else they won’t stop chirping you for being late.” I shooed him out the door and then went back to making sure our contributions to the buffet were perfect. Jack helped where I would let him.

“You really are softest when you’re with him, you realize this right?” Jack said as he took over cleaning the carrots for grating. “It’s not a bad thing Leks, you just are. He’s less intense too. It’s amazing to see first hand.” I glared and shook my head at him. “No seriously, 8 years after you two finally decide to go for it and it works better than ever for you guys. I’m seriously happy for you.”

I couldn’t help but smile at Jack for his words. “I hope you find the right girl someday soon Jackie. You’re an awesome guy who just needs someone to look beyond the exterior and see the real you.” I had finished what I was working on and had moved on to the eggs.

“Are you saying I’m ugly Aleks?” His tone told me he was joking. “I mean talk about a low blow from one of my best friends…” He bumped me as he began grating the carrots. “How did we ever end up so lucky as to be friends Aleks? I mean there were days I _hated_ you when we were kids.”

I shrugged. “Just lucky I guess. Or maybe it’s because we knew each other as kids. I don’t want you to take it easy on my this seasons Jackie. I know we won’t see a lot of each other but we will see each other.” I don’t know why I was telling him that but it felt important.

He laughed a little, “Someone hasn’t paid enough attention to the news lately have they? The Board of Governors is meeting to discuss realignment as well as the CBA. If things go the way the rumors have it going, The Jets will be moving to the West and at least the Jackets will be moving East. Depending on who you listen to, it’s the Jackets and the Wings.” He nudged me with a grin.

I groaned dramatically. “Oh god, you mean I might have to put up with you more than once?” Truth was I wouldn’t mind seeing Jack more during the year. We joked back and forth like this until I heard a horn honk. “Shall we go see who’s the first to arrive?”

We put down what we had in our hands and went out to find Andy and Kaylee getting out of their truck. “That is _not_ Sid.” Kaylee said loudly as she came around to hug me. It put both Jack and I into stitches.

“No, Kayls it’s not. This is Jack Johnson, one of my oldest friends, even though Sid claims to have known him longer.” I hugged her and then Andy. “So how can we help lug in what you brought?”

Turns out they were here to make sure no one started anything and to make sure Kaylee’s chicken would be perfect. About 30 minutes after they showed up, while we were all deep in prep work, the garage door rumbled open. “Oh look the boys are back.”

Soon enough the three of them all piled back into the house and hugs were shared. Some introductions were needed but not many. Sid showed Max and Nealer the two rooms we had left upstairs and then they all joined us in the kitchen. It was kind of a tight squeeze with 7 people in there but we made it work. Once our salads were made and chilling I could turn my attention to the Hawaiian style sweet bread I wanted to make. I loved this recipe it was super simple too.

Sid noticed what I was starting and took the guys outside to help him make sure it was all perfect, knowing them they’d also be getting out the net and shooting a little bit. I just shook my head, laughed and continued making my bread. Kaylee and I chatted and she answered the door when I couldn’t. Marchy and his girl followed her into the kitchen. “That smells good Aleks, what is it?”

“My version of King’s Hawaiian Bread. It’s addicting just to warn you. Sid and the boys are all out back if you want to go say hi.” Brad pulled up a seat at the island and grinned. “Or you could stay in here and make sure my tripled recipe was done right.” I continued working and talking as the conversation flowed around me. Soon enough the bread was ready for it’s first rise. “Let’s go outside and see what’s going on.” I said after dumping everything I had used into extra hot water to soak for a little bit.

The 4 of us went outside and were greeted by the sight of several others who had joined us by then. The party had begun without us noticing. Of course there were a few who looked at me with daggers in their eyes, but overall people were nice.

I went back in the house a couple hours later to check on my bread and get a quick break form the evil looks a handful kept giving me. I had found that they were ready to be portioned out and get the second rise, so I began doing that. I was about halfway done when Sid came in looking for me. “Everything ok babe?” Then he noticed what I was doing and smiled. “Oh, that’s why you’re in here.”

I looked up and smiled. “Partially. Also getting tired of the evil daggers being lobbed at me by a few.” I continued to make the rolls and place them into pans for a second rise. Sid came around me and hugged me gently from behind. I rest my head on his shoulder as I worked.

“I’m sorry you’re still getting those looks. I was sure having the guys here would help.” I shrugged as I worked. “It’s still a big deal to me. You’re not going away, ever.” We stood there cuddling as I worked until Max came into the house to find us.

He dragged us outside and proceeded to tell the most embarrassing stories about how we had kept in touch and everything. When everyone was laughing, he pulled out the truth about the car accident. How he had stayed with me and told Sid he didn’t need to come out but Sid did anyway, even though it was Philly. How Sid was so scared when he first got there until he saw me and could touch me. I saw being cuddled close by Sid and felt warm points on my arm. He was still affected by the loss. Max looked around. “If any of you think badly about her after _that and then playing through the playoffs while working through all of this, you can see me and I’ll straighten you out. Aleks is tough and loving and wouldn’t still be with this loser 8 years later unless she loved him. They’ve been through hell enough, their so called friends should have their backs no matter what.” Max then turned to me and knelt down. “You have every right to be pissed at me for that, but they needed to know what I saw that night.”

I put a hand up to his cheek. “Max, I’ve never had a truer friend.” Jack coughed no so subtly. “No seriously, you were there when I needed you to be this year and always defended me to your teammates. After the accident not a one of them were stupid enough to say I wasn’t a hockey chick. Even fucking Giroux didn’t say a damned word about it.” Max smiled. “Only a few really know what’s happened so I’d like to try and keep it quiet. Try to focus on happier things and not what I can’t change.”

After that we all needed to crank the tunes and move forward. I didn’t get any more glares but I did see a few sympathetic looks. I put all of the behind me and went about making them all understand how important Sid was to me, even before the accident.

Once everyone finally understood _some_ of the trials we’d been through things looked up. We all had a lot of fun and good food. My rolls were demolished and people were asking for the recipes for those and both salads I made. The guys insisted on doing the dishes as I had done so much to make the food go over well. So I got to sit at the counter and watch as they figured out where everything went.

With everyone but the guys gone, we sat on the deck and watched the sun go down. Sid, of course was on the dock fishing. All in all the day had been a success. Now to make sure the rest of the summer went as well.
♠ ♠ ♠
I sincerely apologize for the lack of updates to this. I've been busy with RL and had another AU story hit me too. I am going to do my best to be better.

You can find the recipe that is used for the bread here. No I have not tried it myself but That might have to change if I can make that yummy bread at home. :D
This is Aleks' outfit for the party. Fun and festive!