Sequel: Wendy's Tale

Thomas' Adventures in Hiddlesgard

Attack

Tom faced Kurt. Staring back at the green eyes.

"I know it's you." Tom said defiantly

"You keep asking who I am, but who are you?" His eyes never leaving Kurt's. He felt a surge of energy build up inside him. He felt strong and confident.

"I know you are not the name on the office door. Kurt Wallander, just like you were not Mrs Hazeldine."

Magnus stared in disbelief at Tom and Kurt. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. Kurt was standing in from of him bearing down on this man called Tom, but it was not Kurt, Magnus was sure of that. Not the Kurt he knew and worked with. This was not the man he had spend several years working with. His head hurt so much. It was like 'Kurt' was draining him of his energy. He gripped tightly to the table, holding himself up with all the remaining strength he had. His head felt like it was going to explode. He couldn't let Kurt hurt this man.

"Kurt stop this now!" he hissed thought the pain

"This is not right."

He grabbed his head with his hand, he nearly passed out,but steadied himself on the table again. He had never felt so helpless before. So weak.

Kurt turned to look at Magnus and sneered.

"I am not Kurt. The Migardian is correct in that respect."

"You, Magnus Martinsson are becoming tiresome. You have outlived your usefulness" and with that he he waved a hand towards Magnus.

Magnus cried out in pain, grabbing his head. His legs buckled and he tumbled to the floor. He didn't move.

Loki turned back and smirked at Tom. 

"No!" cried out Tom. He felt Magnus' pain. He didn't know how or why, but the pain was sharp and intense. He knew he had to get to Magnus to help him. He made a move towards Magnus' unmoving body. Loki caught him by the throat and slammed him against the wall. Yes, Loki had reappeared in his true form. Kurt had gone.

Tom cried out in pain, trying to brake Loki's hold on him.

"You think a few tiny fragments of memory mean that you can beat me. You know nothing still and with only four days remaining you don't have much time." He cackled. Tom squirmed in his vice-like grip. He tried to speak but Loki only tightened his grip. Tom tried to gasp for breath. Loki's eyes burned bright. He pushed Tom further back onto the wall. 

"I am Loki of Asgard. You cannot beat me. You will fail and you will then belong to me. Have your time while you can, enjoy your freedom. It is life's great lie. You will kneel before me. Your will and strength will become mine. I shall succeed and you shall fail."

Tom's throat burned. He couldn't take a breath, he couldn't swallow. He had no strength in his arms to pull Loki's hand loose. His head started to spin, all the while he repeated in his head. 'I am Tom, I am Tom...I am strong...I can beat Loki...I can beat Lok...'

His vision started to blur. He fought back. He had to. It was a battle now between him and Loki. He would not allow Loki to beat him.

"Oh yes" purred Loki. "You have spirit. You still have fight in you. I haven't broken you just yet." He smiled.

"How much more can you take?" 

"Only four days and you still have so far to go"

Loki suddenly relaxed Tom's neck. He fell to the floor heavily onto his knees, coughing.

Loki turned away slowly, walking towards Magnus' body.

"A pity really. Potential for greatness,let down by compassion." he glanced briefly at Magnus then turned and looked back at Tom.

"If you manage to last the four remaining days you will need to come and find me. I will not come to you." He looked down and toyed with something imaginary in his fingers. He glanced back up at Tom.

"I won't be seeing you though will I." he smirked.

"You will fail." and with that he turned, opening the door of the interrogation room and left.

Tom crawled slowly over to Magnus, coughing and gasping for breath still. He rubbed his neck with one of his hands, while steadying himself with the other. Magnus was lying face down, Tom reached out to try and flip him over. He carefully and gently rolled him onto his back, wiping the hair back from his face. His body still had some warmth to it, but Tom could feel it cooling. His life had ended.

"No" croaked Tom. "You can't be dead. He only winded you, he didn't kill you!" Tom tried to sound convinced.

He checked Magnus' body for any sign of life, even the tiniest of signs. Tom needed something to hang on to, something to give him hope. There was nothing.

Suddenly a noise outside the window caught his attention. It was a gentle tapping. He looked over and saw Wendy excitedly tapping against the window pane. He slowly got to his feet, coughing still and walked over to open the window. Wendy burst in and flew excitedly around his head. She was so happy to see him and that he was alright. She couldn't stop hovering around his head, she chattered and chirped and got rather carried away. Then she stopped and hovered in front of his face. Tom wasn't smiling. He wasn't happy. Something was wrong. Her whiskers drooped, and she quietly chirped once at Tom as if to say.'What's wrong?' Tom reached up and stroked her gently, said nothing and then turned away from Wendy, walking back towards Magnus. He knelt down beside him. He closed his eyes and sighed heavily. Wendy fluttered down on to the floor next to Magnus. She reached out a whisker and gently touched his cheek. She looked up at Tom and chirped very quietly. His eyes were still closed. She looked back at Magnus, not understanding why he was so still. This was the man who smelt just like Tom. His was the scent she had picked up in the woods. She was confused. Why did he smell just like Tom? Wendy fluttered up and onto Magnus' chest and looked at his face. With his eyes closed and Tom's eyes closed they both looked very similar thought Wendy. The only differences being Tom looked a little older and had a beard and Magnus' curly blonde hair. 

Wendy stared hard at Magnus. She walked on the tips of her whiskers right up under his nose. She was sure she could sense this man still. She stepped back. She stepped forward again. It wasn't much but she was sure this man was still alive. He held on to the briefest strands of life. She had to let Tom know. They had to be quick.

She turned and fluttered up to Tom. She tapped his cheek with a whisker, and hovered. He opened his eyes and looked at Wendy. They were moist, he looked sad. Wendy's heart ached to see him so sad. She tapped his cheek again.

"Wendy, no. Please my darling. I just need a few moments." He gazed over at Magnus. Sadness overwhelmed him.

Wendy fluttered over to Magnus and landed on his chest. She chirped at Tom and waggled. She chirped, hoping he would understand her.

"Wendy please come away. Magnus has left us sweetheart. We can't do anything more."

Wendy chirped louder and started fluttering her whiskers, she had to let Tom know it wasn't too late. Magnus could come back, Tom just had to believe he could. He had to stay positive.

Tom watched Wendy, she didn't understand, he thought. But why was she starting to get agitated at him?

He walked over the Magnus and knelt down beside him. He looked no different. Wendy fluttered close to Magnus' face, chirping more animatedly now. Perhaps she could sense something, thought Tom. 

He leant over Magnus. Did he see his chest move ever so slightly? No it was just his eyes playing tricks on him. He saw what he wanted to believe. Nothing more. Wendy fluttered into his face chattering to him, he tried to move out of the way, she then flew down to Magnus. She waggled her whiskers and pointed at Magnus.

"What is it Wendy? I don't understand. Magnus is still alive?"

Wendy jumped up and down excitedly. Yes, you just have to believe! She wanted him to know that. She wanted to shout it at him! Tom could do that. Help people. He didn't know it but here in Hiddlesgard he was very special. That's why the man with the long black hair hated him so much. He could bring joy, laughter and love. The nasty man had none of those powers, just bitterness, jealousy and hate. He had possessed those emotions for so long they ate away at him and everyday his bitterness grew, slowly devouring the person he had once been. Wendy could sense once he had been kind in heart, but something had turned him, twisted him to the person he was now. She was unsure if he could ever return to the person he was. But Tom could save Magnus.

Tom stared again at Magnus, was Wendy right? He placed a hand gently under Magnus' nose, was that a breath? Tom felt a buzz of electricity inside him. Magnus was breathing. Tom could feel himself smiling. Yes Magnus was definitely breathing now. His chest was rising and falling, ever so slightly but it was moving. Tom placed his hand on Magnus' chest. His hand felt warm. Tom's smile grew wider with every breath that Magnus took.

Magnus' breathing grew stronger and more steady with every passing minute. Tom sat on the floor watching him. Magnus groaned and started to move. He reached a hand up to his head and opened his eyes...