Sequel: Wendy's Tale

Thomas' Adventures in Hiddlesgard

Freddie

"Welcome to Freddietown" 

Tom read out loud from the sign standing tall in front of them. He turned and looked at Wendy fluttering gently by the side of his head. 

"Well we made it! And by the looks of it a few hours before sunset so we made good time." Thunder rumbled in the distance. There were dark clouds gathering. 

"Looks like we may be in for some rain" 

Tom squinted his eyes. They had passed a grassy plain at the base of some mountains earlier. Tom wanted to explore, even if it would only be for the briefest of glimpses but Wendy ushered him back to the path. She was adamant that they should move on...quickly. He was disappointed but understood her haste in wanting to get to Freddietown before it got dark.

The storm clouds were gathering now over those same mountains. Tom felt a slight shiver down his spine and pulled his jacket closer to him. They needed to find somewhere to stay before the rain set in.

In the distance Tom spotted a church spire and clusters of little cottages. The road was full of potholes,  nothing modern like Magnusville. Freddietown had a nostalgic feel to it, like it was from another time. 

They walked quickly along the tree lined road, occasionally waving back at people in their cottages. Sometimes pausing briefly to greet with a wave and a hello those who were outside tending their gardens. All very pleasant thought Tom. Everyone was very friendly. They soon reached a triangle-shaped patch of grass, the road ran round all three sides. In the middle was a cricket pitch and a game of cricket was being played. Players dressed in white. There was a polite clapping and the odd cheer when batsman hit the ball a great distance. All very genteel thought Tom, he smiled to himself. 

Just beyond the green was the church. They could hear the peel of the bells ringing out. A sign on the gate mentioned it was bell-ringing practice today. It was a lovely sound the hear. Tom laughed as Wendy dipped and swooped in time with the ringing of the bells. She was happy and that made Tom feel happy. If it were not for the thunder rumbling behind them it would have been a glorious summer's evening.

Next to the church were a line of cottages and at the end of those stood the Spitfire Inn. A squeaky sign with a picture of a Spitfire aircraft roaring thought the skies swung noisily in the strengthening breeze.

 "This looks like a good place to stop for the night, and something to eat too, yes Wendy?"

Wendy nodded enthusiastically and fluttered. There were a few people chatting and eating at benches just outside the inn. Everyone seemed happy, nodding and waving greetings to Tom and Wendy as they walked past. The main door was wide open so Tom and Wendy went inside.

The was a lot of hustle and bustle inside the inn. The bar area was packed full of people, laughing and talking loudly to each other. There was also a smokey fug lingering around the bar where several people were puffing away on cigarettes, animatedly chatting about their exploits during the past week.

Tom walked slowly up to the bar, carefully easing his way through the crowd. He did have to exclaim 'excuse me' to a few people but they parted and allowed him through with a pat on the back and and smile in greeting. The bar area was warm and cosy and comfortable. He hoped the hospitality of the owner would be the same. 

After a few moments waiting, the landlord caught his eye, smiled and walked over to where he was standing.

"Good evening, Sir, how may I help you?" His smile grew, his rosy cheeks glowing in the light from the candles lit along the bar.

"Um..." Started Tom. "I was wondering if you may have some food and lodging available for me and my companion here this evening. We only require the one night and would be gone early tomorrow morning."

"Why yes of course, sir, that is not a problem. We have a room available and have roast beef on the menu tonight. Ale on tap too if you want. Anything to make your stay with us as pleasant as possible."

Thunder rumbled loudly outside. The smile
faded slightly from the landlords face, when he caught Tom's eye he grinned broadly again as if nothing had happened.

"Don't mind the storm sir, you'll be quite safe here. A little rain never hurt no one."

The thunder rumbled again, louder this time. The window frames rattled lightly. The chatter in the bar quietened slightly. 

Wendy flutterd over onto Tom's shoulder. She wanted to be close to him. She felt she had to be right next to him. The storm unsettled her. Normally nothing made her feel uneasy but this storm was different. There was electric in the air, it crackled a warning to her. Her senses knew something was coming. Coming for Tom. She had to be there for him. 

The landlord coughed, clearing his throat. 

"Now then sir if you take a seat over there in the corner, I'll get your tea prepared for you and your friend and while you are eating we can sort the room out for you too."

He smiled and pointed past Tom to a small private area at the far end of the inn.

"Thank you" said Tom. 

He looked down at Wendy on his shoulder and patted and tickled her head. She chirped quietly back at him. He frowned. Was she more quieter than usual? That was unlike Wendy. 

"What's wrong ol' girl?" he said concerned. 

"It's only some thunder, we're indoors, it's lovely and cosy in here and we get to eat something soon. Come on."

He smiled reassuringly at her and wandered over to the corner.

Just then the brightest flash lit up the sky and the thunder crashed right overhead. There were gasps of concern from those gathered by the bar.

"Woah!" Tom reacted to the flash, blinking and squinting his eyes, his mouth open wide. Wendy snuggled even closer to his neck. She was not going to leave him. She would protect him with her life if she had to.

The whole building shook with the force of the thunder. The lights rattled and swung wildly from the ceiling. They flickered, dimmed and lit up again. Everything became still. 

Then the rain started. At first a few light drops, then it became heavier and heavier, pounding against the windows. 

Suddenly someone ran in through front door and slammed it shut, shaking the rain from themselves onto the people waiting at the bar.

"Careful Freddie you've soaked us!" A voice shouted out.

"Sorry old boy, slightly damp outside you know. Needed to get in. Looks like a still have some left over, you do know I like to share." With that he smiled broadly and flicked the remaining droplets of rain towards the bar.

"Freddie enough nonsense settle you down and I'll bring your drink over." The landlord laughed.

Freddie smiled and looked for a spot to sit. He spotted Tom and Wendy and headed over.

"I notice you have a spare seat. Mind if I join you two?"

"Not at all" replied Tom smiling.

"Awful weather outside! Crikey was a good job I'd finished flying when I did, I like a bit of adventure but certainly wouldn't relish flying in this monsoon!"

"You're a pilot?" Enquired Tom fascinated.

"Yes, Spitfires mostly, glorious machines. I'm in the RAF. Freddie Page."

He held out his hand and shook Tom's hand with a firm shake.

"Tom" replied Tom "and is is Wendy" he said pointing to his shoulder. Wendy giggled back. She was quite fond of this Freddie. He liked flying, as did she, and it seemed as if he had experienced many adventures. She squirmed bashfully on Tom's shoulder. She blinked rapidly and giggled again.

Tom looked back at Freddie and laughed lightly, a little embarrassed.

"I think she has taken a fancy to you." he said.

"Ah, I have a certain way with the ladies. She's an absolutely gorgeous little creature, does she have a name?"

"Wendy" replied Tom.

"A pleasure to meet you Wendy" smiled Freddie.

Wendy giggled and flopped off Tom's shoulder and on to the table and walked on her whiskers over towards Freddie. She was mesmerised by him. He seemed dashing and brave and exciting. 

Freddie reached forward and tickled Wendy. She giggled and flopped in a hairy lump on the table and just stared back at him.

Just then the landlord appeared with two steaming plates of roast beef and vegetables. He placed them in front of Tom and Freddie who both smiled broadly at the feast in front of them.

"Enjoy gentlemen and and I'll be over shortly with your pints of ale."

"Thank you" said Tom smiling. "It looks delicious."

"Now Tom" said Freddie unwrapping his cutlery from his napkin. 

"Not seen you in here before. What brings you to      
Freddietown"

For the next five hours Tom and Freddie talked together about Tom's adventures and Loki. They talked about Wendys and flying spitfires. They talked about Hiddlesgard. All the while they were talking the rain continued to pour down. It seemed to never end. It thundered still but the worst of that seemed to be over. It was more of a quiet rumbling now. It lasted throughout the night and only finished as the the dawn light shone over the mountains in the west.