Sequel: Wendy's Tale

Thomas' Adventures in Hiddlesgard

I am...

"William...William Buxton" replied the rider.

Tom opened his mouth, he was going to say he was William too, but he paused and frowned. His head began to hurt again.

"But..." He whispered... "But I'm Will..." he was confused and looked away from the rider towards the ground. He held the side of his head, it was really pounding now.

"Sir, are you well?" enquired William leaning full out of the saddle. It was his duty as a gentleman to help those in need of assistance and this gentleman need his assistance.

"Sir?"  he said again. "Have you taken ill?"

William sat back in the saddle and then dismounted. He landed on the ground but immediately lost his balance and fell to the ground. His horse snorted uneasily and dug a hoof in to the ground gouging out a hole.

William was embarrassed. It was such a silly thing to have done. He tried to stand up, but immediately lost his balance again. Something was wrong, he felt...different, weaker. He had no energy to stand. His head began to swim. He looked over at Tom. He looked different... His hair had changed it was now blonde and curly like William's he still had a beard, but William was not sure if that was slowly disappearing. He tried to keep his eyes open but the lids felt so heavy. Why did he feel so tired. He had to get up, but his legs would not move. He could hear Tom mumbling to himself, but he could not quite make out what he was saying. If only he could just stay awake.

Tom's head felt like it would split into two. He was so confused. He was William wasn't he? If that was his name why was he still not convinced. The man on the horse said he was William Buxton. Why did Buxton sound so familiar to Tom? 

"William?...William?... I am...I am" he said slowly and carefully. 

"I...am..."

He held his head and looked over at William slumped in the ground. Tom frowned and rubbed his eyes. He was was confused, were his eyes now playing tricks on him? It seemed to him that William was fading. He was sure he could see the trees through him. That made no sense. He grasped his head again. The pain was so intense.

A voice... He could hear a voice... Quite clearly above all the other noise in his head.

'Tell me your name? Tell me your name' it kept repeating. The voice was familiar, yet Tom could not place who it belonged to. He didn't trust it. He didn't want to listen to it, but he wanted to answer it. Hearing it made him want to tell it who he was. He was William B... He couldn't quite remember his last name but he thought it began with a B.

William could hardly move at all now, he was very nearly unconscious. Everything was fading. The sound of birdsong became muffled and low. He couldn't focus his his eyes. He caught a glance at his hand... He could see the grass through it! That was not right. His breathing quickened, something was so very wrong. He started to panic but couldn't think straight. The remaining strength in his arms holding him up finally gave way and he fell into the long grass. His eyes looking up into the sky. There was no colour to it it was very white. His breathing began to slow. His eyelids began to close.

Tom tried to ignore the voice but it was so persuasive, he needed to answer it.

"I am William Bux...William Bux..."

He heard a low groan coming from where William lay, he could hardly see him anymore.

Suddenly something small and furry barrelled into his chest knocking him flat onto the ground.

It was like the pain had suddenly been taken from him. He felt brighter. He was still woozy but it did not feel so heavy. A mass of chattering and whiskers flew into his face. Slapping him and shouting at him. He shook his head. It was too much...it would not stop. 'Stop' he thought, 'Stop.'

Wendy would not stop, she would not stop until Tom was back. She had almost lost him. The connection to William was now broken, she just had to get him back.

"Ouch, ow! Stop! Stop!" shouted Tom

"Enough! enough! That hurts!"

Wendy didn't stop she carried on chattering and slapping him with her whiskers.

Tom's head was clearing, but the mad whiskered thing would not leave him alone. 

"Ok, Ok" he said raising a palm up,  facing her. 

"Stop!"

He screwed his face up and then said firmly, 
 
"I said STOP WENDY!"

Wendy stopped immediately and fluttered in front of Tom's face. She chirped quietly and looked deeply into his eyes. 

Tom smiled.

"It's me I am here" His smile grew wider.

Wendy danced and giggled and threw herself at Tom. They both giggled. Wendy had saved Tom again and he was so grateful. He held her close. And whispered "Thank you my love."

Wendy purred and snuggled close to him.

Tom looked up over to where he saw William lying. He was solid, no longer see-through. Tom noticed his chest moving up and down. Tom breathed a sigh of relief. He was alive.

Tom moved slowly and carefully up onto his feet and straightened up. He was slightly wobbly but other than that he felt ok. Wendy bounced excitedly beside him.

"You interfering little wretch!"

Tom blanched and covered his eyes as a huge blue flash rocketed past him. He then heard the worst noise he had ever heard. A scream so terrifyingly filled with pain and anguish it tore his heart in two.

"No" he whispered, unable to believe what just happened. 

"No, no, no,no" he stammered rapidly.

"No, no, please no."

Lying a few feet away was Wendy. She was very still. Tom shook. He reached out a shaking hand towards where she lay. He gently touched her. She didn't move.

"Wendy" he whispered, his voice breaking.

"Sweetheart..." he touched her gently again.

His heart leapt, she moved, yes she moved!

'No' he thought, 'Wendy wake up.'

Very slowly and weakly Wendy opened an eye. She then closed it again. She was very weak. Tom was not sure she would survive.

"Sooooo touching a scene." The familiar voice sneered.

Tom closed his eyes and his right hand formed a fist. He could feel the anger swelling up inside him, catching fire and burning bright.

He let out a roar of uncontrolled rage and turned and launched himself at Loki.

Taken totally unaware Loki was hit full in the stomach by Tom, knocked completely off his feet onto the ground. They rolled and rolled tangled up together. Finally coming to rest by a tree.

Tom pined Loki to the ground holding both his wrists tight. He breathed hard and fast, the anger still very strong.

Loki chuckled. 

"My my, such a show of courage. You chose to take on in combat a God of Asgard. I fear the contest would be over too soon."

"I don't care!" Tom spat.
 
"Come let's do this!" He squeezed Loki's wrist tighter. His face twisted and grimacing.

Loki chuckled again. Rage was good. Tom would make mistakes if his head was filled with burning rage and hate. 

Loki had Tom exactly where he wanted him. He had very nearly won the game, but that annoying little Wendy got in the way again. He had solved that problem this time. It was unlikely she would survive. The longer he kept Tom away from her, the further she would slip away. He could sense her fading... Just a little while longer... Just one more delay. A Tom alone would be easy for Loki. Yes the challenge would be over, the game finished, but it had been very enjoyable. It was such a shame the Midgardian had proved not to have had any power at all. He was just like all the others before him. Such a pity.

Tom then felt a gentle hand on his shoulder. It was William. He was gently cradling Wendy in his other hand.
Tom looked back at Loki. It was like he had suddenly been brought to his senses. He shook his head and released Loki and stood up. Loki was not important, Wendy was. His Wendy. 

The smirk disappeared from Loki's face, now it was his turn to look confused. He frowned. What just happened? Tom was supposed to stay angry. Now he was looking at that foul creature. Too late... Loki's smirk returned. It was too late. Neither of the two men standing in front of him could help her now. He stood up dusting himself down. 

Tom and William turned and stared hard at Loki. They both took a step towards him. His smirk disappeared again. Now the odds were changing, not in his favour. He took a step backwards. 

"Don't think this is over Midgardian" sneered Loki. 

"You have just over a day remaining of my challenge and you are still unable to tell me who you are."

He stepped back again. His smile grew wider. 

"I am still going to win." And with that he slowly faded away.

Tom looked at William, who carefully placed Wendy into Tom's hands. She felt so light, so delicate. She briefly opened her eyes and tried to chirp at Tom but no sound was heard. Tom had tears in his eyes. He lifted her up to his lips and kissed her gently. He stroked her whiskers and spoke quietly.

"Hold on Wendy my love. Please hold on."

William stepped up beside Tom.

"You need to get her to Hiddlesville and quickly. The railway is quicker but the next train does not run through Williamburg for another three hours. You must take my horse and ride cross country."

William handed the reins to Tom. He held Wendy as Tom climbed up into the saddle. Tom tucked her securely into his shirt.

"Take the road as far as the stone cross at the crossroads. From there you will see boundary of Hiddlesville. Ride hard and ride fast. Once you are there look for the Apothecary. He'll be able to help you."

With that he slapped the horse's rump hard.

"God speed my friend!" he shouted out to Tom as he rode away...