Sequel: Wendy's Tale

Thomas' Adventures in Hiddlesgard

Ride

"Yah!Yah!" Tom urged William's horse on. They had been riding at full gallop now for nearly an hour. The terrain had mainly been fields and meadows with a few boundary hedges to jump. other than that the ride had been fairly smooth. He knew the horse was tiring, so he eased their pace.The golden towers of Hiddlesville could just about be seen, glistening through the afternoon haze. It still looked a fair distance to go and Wendy was fading fast, tucked securely inside his shirt, badly wounded from the blast from Loki's sceptre. Tom had no time to think of Loki now, he had to find the apothecary William had told him about.

They paused briefly under an old tree. Tom was concerned for the horse. He could not ride him hard like for the whole journey. The horse seemed to have other ideas however, and wanted to push forward. Tom let him have his head. Off they went again at full gallop.Soon grass gave way to bracken and brambles then bushes, then gnarled, twisted trees. Their roots erupting up through the earth making travelling at speed difficult.

"Woah, easy boy" Tom tried to slow the horse but it would not lessen its pace. he strained at the reins, they needed to slow down. they were going too fast.

"Woah... Easy."

The horse tossed its head and charged on, Tom pulled harder at the reins, turning the horses head. It had a wild look in its eye Tom didn't like. The ground was quite uneven now, and the horse stumbled a few times. He tried one more time, and tugged hard on the reins. The horse whinnied, catching its foot on a tree root. Tom grabbed hold of the horse's mane tight and tried to stay in the saddle. The horse lost its footing and fell hard on to its side. He tried to push free in time but landed awkwardly trying to protect Wendy from being crushed, narrowly avoiding being crushed as the horse rolled over. It caught his foot and twisted it. He cried out in pain and rolled over, eyes closed as he lay winded for a few moments. His foot throbbed and stung. He dare not move. He looked over where the horse had fallen. It was groaning and tried to get up. Trying to sit up he winced in pain, he had damaged his foot quite badly. He breathed in sharply through his teeth.

Opening his shirt slightly he checked to see that Wendy was ok. She was. Painfully he crawled over to the horse, speaking quietly and calmly. It was struggling to get up. He could see that it could not.

"Easy boy...shhh it's ok."

He edged closer, every movement cause him to wince and gasp. Reaching out a hand to stroke the horse's neck, he spoke quietly as he looked around. He noticed the reins had become tangled on the twisted remains of a tree trunk. Through the pain he tried to untangle the reins. The horse had stopped struggling and watched Tom quietly.

"Easy there we'll get you out of this." He said through gritted teeth. He tried to sound as calm and reassuring as he could.

He hissed as his foot caught on a root as he manoeuvred himself into a better position.

"Ouch!" He cried, biting his top lip, this was not good. With a final waggle of the reins they came free from the trunk. The horse started to get up but paused as if waiting for Tom. It looked at him with big, round, brown eyes. Not the same eyes he had seen earlier, these we peaceful eyes. Tom didn't need to be asked twice. He grabbed a handful of mane and slowly and painfully eased himself back into the saddle. Gently the horse rose up on to its legs and stood still, twitching its tail from side to side.

"Easy boy, nice and slow." Tom spoke gently as they set off again at a slow walk. Tom checked the horse as they walked, it seemed unharmed by the fall. He was relieved.The rest of the journey seemed painfully slow. The terrain did not help with the ground being eneven. They weaved in and out of the trees and roots on the ground. Each step caused Tom great pain. He felt like he would pass out, but stayed determined and talked to he horse and Wendy to try and keep the journey light-hearted and to keep his mind from the pain.

The sun was beginning to set as they reached Hiddlesville. Tom grew anxious, it was his last day tomorrow. He had only tomorrow to discover the truth, his truth, and confront Loki. He had not forgotten though what Loki had done to Wendy, when the time was right and Wendy was better he would have words with Loki.

The streets were quiet. The only sound was the 'clip' 'clop' from the horse's hooves, echoing through the growing darkness. Tom had no idea where he would find the apothecary, or even if his shop was still open for business. His injured foot hung loose from the stirrup. He grimaced in pain every time it brushed past the horse's flank. He made an effort to try and hold it clear, but the cobbled street was uneven so that did not always work.

They carried on through the city streets. Eventually they came to Fitzgerald Square. Tom offered a weak smile to himself he remembered it. His horse stopped and snorted, tossing its head.

"Ok" said Tom with a sigh to himself.

"Where can I find an apothecary?"

He sighed again. His horse lifted its head and turned right and walked slowly past the edge of the square.

"I guess you know where we should go eh?" Tom laughed, the horse snorted, he the winced with pain again. Maybe the apothecary could help him with his foot too? Whatever he had done to it, he didn't think it was good.

They made their way slowly past the Ministry of Culture and then the Ministry of Information. All the windows were dark except one.

Ahead he could see torches flickering. Tom narrowed his eyes trying to make out the building behind them. He couldn't quite make it out clearly but it looked like a theatre. Yes he remembered this part of the city. Close to the theatre was a tavern. He frowned. Something happened in the tavern to him and to Wendy. He was sure that Loki was involved but at least he remembered the theatre and tavern. As they passed by it an uneasy feeling grew inside him. Yes it was in the tavern. He and Wendy were eating. His memory cleared. Loki was there! He had put something in their food to make them sleep. More was being revealed to him but the important information like where exactly he came from and who he was still eluded him.

They continued on past the tavern. There were many old trades on offer down this particular street. Many Tom had never heard of. Perhap,they were peculiar to Hiddlesville. Quite fascinating thought Tom.

The horse came to a stop and few feet further on and snorted, tossing its head. Tom looked around. He could just make out the word apothecary on a sign above one of the shop doorways.

"Brilliant!" he smiled.

"Thank you." He patted the neck of the horse. It snorted and nodded.

He looked closely for any sign that anyone might still be there. He saw nothing. His heart sank, they had tried so hard to get to the city. Tom shivered, he had not realised how late and dark it had got. The cold had started to penetrate his shirt and then his skin. It was too dark to see Wendy, but he could fell her still there. He hoped his body heat would keep her warm enough until they could find the apothecary. His foot throbbed too, they needed to find some shelter.

"Anon! Sir!" cried a voice through the darkness. Tom turned and saw a figure approach. It was a woung man, tall and slim. He was wearing a red leather jacket and leather trousers.

"Anon sir!" he cried out again

Tom turned his horse towards the man.

"Pray sir, do you need assistance? The night is too foul to be found out in it."

"Yes" said Tom.

"I am in need of the apothecary. Please my friend is badly hurt and I was told to come here, but we were delayed on our journey. I must find the apothecary."

"Then please sir come warm yourself in the tavern whilst someone is sent for him. There is room to stable your horse too."

Before Tom could argue the man had grabbed the reins and started to lead the horse towards the tavern. He felt too tired and exhausted to put up and sort of fight, the warmth of the tavern was inviting and he had Wendy to think about.

The stables were warm and dry, filled with the sweet smell of freshly cut hay. Tom took a deep breath. He felt a bit better now they were here. Wendy needed to be kept warm. The man seemed to genuinely want to help them and that that was what Tom needed right now. He felt tired, very tired. His injury did not help matters. The journey to Hiddlesville had worn him out. He had experienced to much the days he had been in Hiddlesgard, he wasn't sure if he had much more to keep him going. There was one thing... A who... Wendy. He hoped they could find the apothecary tonight.

The man led the horse into an empty stall, turned and looked at Tom. His face now illuminated by the glow from the flickering lanterns on the walls. He was young, thought Tom, barely in his thirties. He was handsome and had a mischievous twinkle in his eye which Tom liked, perhaps someone who enjoyed the company of people just like he did. A flash of memory appeared.He was laughing with friends, then the memory was gone. He smiled, another comfort.

"Thank you" said Tom. He felt his exhaustion building. He just wanted to stop now but he could not afford to rest.

"Now I need to find the apothecary. Wendy..."

"Pray sir, we must find you both comfort by the fire and attend to your friend." The man replied.

Tom swum his leg over the saddle and carefully lowered himself to the floor. He gave a little yelp of pain and grabbed the side of the saddle tight, then closed his eyes, willing the pain to subside.

"You are hurt friend" the man said looking concerned.

"Pray let me help you. I know not where the apothecary is this eventide, but there are others we could ask. Come we shall enter together."

The man placed and supportive arm around Tom's waist and Tom placed his weight against him as he was guided towards the tavern. Each step was unbearable for Tom. He cursed himself for getting them into this situation. If only he had landed differently. Something had spooked the horse, he saw it in its eye. He should have taken greater care.

Carefully and slowly they entered the tavern. It seemed different to Tom, different to their first visit. Although the walls and the dirt covering was the same, the atmosphere felt different. There were people singing and chatting away, all very raucous, and lively. Tom smiled. It was warm and comforting to him. He felt his eyelids droop. Yes, just a short rest. Perhaps someone here did know the apothecary or knew where they could find him. It had to be tonight. Wendy needed help tonight.

The man gently lowered Tom into the chair.

"Thank you again" said Tom

He carefully undid his shirt buttons and gently lifted out Wendy. The man reached behind Tom and pulled out a blanket from a wooden box on the floor. He gently and carefully wrapped it around Wendy, gently stroking her with his hand as Tom made her comfortable.

"This is your friend?" asked the man, he continued stroking Wendy.

"Yes this is Wendy. She is a wonderful, brave, funny little creature and she has saved me so many times.
Tom touched her whiskers as he spoke, tears in his eyes. Wendy opened her eyes briefly and weakly brushed Tom's hand with her whiskers. She gave a tiny little chirp then closed her eyes again. She looked so delicate, so fragile lying their wrapped in her blanket.

"And pray what is your name my friend?" Asked the man.

"My name is Tom." He looked at the man's face. Like everyone else he had met there was a familiarity he could not place. He felt safe sitting here next of this man. Perhaps it was coming in from the cold night and the warmth of the fire, but he felt comforted being in the tavern sitting next to this man.

"And what is your name?" he asked.

The man sat up,straight, a grin growing across his face.

"Ah" said the man. "Therein lies a tale." He grinned.

"Some here call me Hal. Would you do me the gracious honour of sharing company here with me this even tide. The night is cold, but with, the offer of comfort glows warm on the fire. Let us dine."

"Gladly" said Tom "but could we not try to find and find the apothecary?"

"We shall not tarry long" replied Hal and with that he rose up,out of his chair and addressed the assembled revellers.

"Friends! Friends!" Shouted Hal, waving his hands in the air.

"Friends ! Pray your attention! My friend is afflicted with a sickness most foul, we are in need of the apothecary. I know not where he may be. Prithee if you know where we may find him pray tell." He looked around the room expectantly.

"I know where you can find him." a voice spoke from the shadows.

"Pray friend come forward." said Hal.

Tom tried to make out where the voice had come from but the light from the candles on the tables was not very bright, the smoky haze did not help,either. He stared deeply into,the murky corner.

A figure emerged from the shadows. Tom recognised him immediately

"Steve!" He shouted, a smile broke out across his face.

Steve paused. Had Tom not remembered what happened at Williamsburg? Was he playing a trick on Steve to test him? No he seems genuine. Perhaps with all the confusion he had not remembered Steve taking Wendy from him. Steve smiled. Perhaps this could work to,his advantage,he walked across to Tom's table.

"Good to see you again Tom." He offered his hand in greeting. Tom shook it smiling.

"What brings you to Hiddlesvile?" Tom asked, thrilled to see another face he could recognise.

"Work, just work." replied Steve.

He sat down next to Tom and looked down at Wendy. She had opened her eyes again. She knew that voice. Even in her weakened condition, the only thing that concerned her was Tom's safety. She tried to growl but the only thing that came out was a pathetic little whimper.She did not have the energy to fight back. Everything was so muddled and she hurt so much. She just wanted Tom to make it all better. She wanted to be close to him now. For him to hold her close. She was tired, so very tired. She could hardly hear the noise of the people in the tavern. Fading... Everything was fading. Maybe if she just let go, gave in, the pain would go,away. Tom, oh Tom help me she thought. I want to stay with you, but it hurts so much Tom. I don't want to feel the pain anymore.

Tom sat between the two men, hardly listening to their conversation. He looked at Wendy and stroked her gently.

Steve excused himself and left the tavern. He said that he would return shortly with the apothecary.

Tom thanked him for his help.

"Anything I can do to help that little lady. Happy to help." Steve had said.

Hal had also left the table mentioning to Tom that he would arrange lodging for him overnight. From what Tom had overhead from their conversation he had worked out that Hal was someone of importance in Hiddlesgard. Possibly royalty but Tom had failed to pay much attention. They also talked briefly about a man called Henry and that he was King? Again Tom wasn't sure. Perhaps he should have paid more attention.

He smiled briefly to himself, then glanced down at Wendy.

"Wendy, he's coming. The apothecary is coming."

His smile faded.

"Wendy?"

He swallowed hard, a sinking feeling filled his stomach. He suddenly went pale. He lifted Wendy from the blanket. She was cold.

"No! No! No! No!" He stammered. "Wendy, no please sweetheart... No!"

He tried rising up from his chair, a wave of pain hit him. He sat down again. He felt so helpless. He searched the Tavern for Hal. He couldn't see him.

He held Wendy close to his cheek.

"Wendy" he whispered, "please don't be gone." He wanted her to be alive so much. It wasn't fair Loki had took her away from him.

"Please Wendy don't leave me. Don't leave me alone. You and me Wendy, it always will be you and me. Never just Tom."

A single tear formed in the corner of his eye and dropped gently on to her body. He felt her whiskers against his cheek. Where was Steve? He said he would not be gone long. He cried out out to those in the tavern for help. A few came over but they could not help. He tried breathing into her mouth. Nothing worked. He could not revive her. He had lost his beloved Wendy. Nothing meant anything right now. All the noise around him became muffled. His tears flowed freely now.

"Oh my sweet darling Wendy. I love you so much, please, please come back to me. I need you, I can't do this alone." He kissed her gently and held her close, his eyes closed.

He was alone with Wendy and he could do nothing to help her...