Sequel: Wendy's Tale

Thomas' Adventures in Hiddlesgard

We're not in Midgard anymore Toto...

Tom found himself awake but kept his eyes closed, had time flown by that quickly, god he must have been tired. But it was still too early. He didn’t want to get out of bed…not just yet. Although his eyes were closed he could tell it was morning. He rubbed his eyes and blinked. God that sun was bright today! He frowned. Wait a minute, he thought. Why would the sun be that bright inside his apartment? He rubbed his eyes again and sat up!

“I think I must be dreaming still.”
“Ehehe” he laughed nervously. This is not my apartment, he thought. There is no way this is my apartment.

He found he was sitting on what seemed to be a dirt track beneath a signpost. He was outside…somewhere. How on earth did he end up here?

“This is one very weird dream”

“What makes you think this is a dream?” a voice said behind him.
Tom turned suddenly and saw a tall, thin figure dressed in metal and black leather standing a few feet away. He had shoulder-length jet black hair and Tom was sure that he was smirking at him. He scrambled to his feet and stood facing the mysterious figure in front of him.

“Who are you?” Tom asked.

The figure smirked again.

“I am Loki of Asgard” the figure said with a wave of his hand. He walked slowly towards Tom with a swagger.

“Loki of Asgard?” replied Tom confused.
“You don’t exist! You are from Norse mythology. You are a character I played in a movie once”

“Oh I do exist” replied Loki walking behind and around the back of Tom. He paused by Tom’s shoulder and spoke into his ear.

“I am very real and I have a test for you Midgardian” Loki walked in front of Tom waving his hands as he spoke. He turned and looked back at Tom.

“You are in a land of your own making… Hiddlesgard! There will be danger and you will not find it easy. The only way you will reach home is to play my game.”

“What if I choose not to play?” replied Tom

“Ah” smiled Loki. “You have no choice. I brought you here I am the only one who can return you home.”

“Follow the path, find the answers to my riddles.” Loki pointed down the dirt path.

“The first city you reach will be Hiddlesville.”

Tom turned to look where Loki had pointed and then looked back. Loki had disappeared.

“Perfect!” said Tom, still not quite believing what was happening to him.

“So this is NOT a dream, I am in a world of my own creation?”
“And Loki of Asgard is real?”

He sighed, “I guess I’d better do as Loki says, if this is a dream, I should wake up, if this really is not a dream there is only one way I can go… forwards.”

He walked up to the sign post and stared and the towns listed. Hiddlesgard, right that one he knew about. Frieddietown…OK, Williamsburg, I’m sensing a pattern here he thought. And finally Magnusville. Tom chuckled, ok he was inside his own head. These were Hiddleston creations.

Suddenly something fluttered close to Tom’s head. He ducked. Again the thing flew by his head. He ducked again and lifted his hand to swat it away. He heard a tiny growling sound and a fluttering as the thing flew at him a third time. This time Tom caught it in his hands. It squirmed and growled, Tom could feel it tickling his fingers. He stared at it in amazement. It was a moustache, but very weirdly it could move. It was black fluffy and had long side pieces which waved around in the air. In the middle were a tiny row of teeth, which nibbled the tips of Tom’s fingers. Tom though it actually looked quite sweet. Tom took a chance and tickled the moustache. It squirmed in his hand and made what sounded like a contented little chuckle. Tom tickled it again. This time it definitely sounded like a giggle. Tom opened up his hand and released the moustache. It fluttered around his head, chirping and giggling. Tom smiled this little chap was adorable.

“You know I’m very tempted to call you Wendy” he laughed. The moustache wiggled and chirped.

“Ok” Tom smiled “Wendy it is then!” The moustache wiggled and danced delightedly around Tom’s head.

“Ok my little furry friend, which way? To Hiddlesville then...?”
Wendy danced excitedly.

“Ehehehe… Come on then lead the way…”

Tom and Wendy set off down the path which led towards Hiddlesville. Loki watched from the shadows of the nearby forest. Tom chatted away to Wendy as they walked off into the distance. Wendy danced and giggled and fluttered around Tom. Loki smiled. This was working perfectly. What a nice way for Tom to be introduced to Hiddlesgard, he smirked. Loki knew the happiness would not last for long. There would be trials and dangers ahead and Tom would be tested. He would test this Midgardian.

Tom was feeling quite happy. He walked with a spring in his step. Hiddlesgard didn’t seem to be so bad he thought. He had Wendy with him. Weird, wonderful , but impossibly real Wendy. This could actually be fun. Hiddlesgard didn’t actually look much different to home really. The sky looked the same, blue and sunny of course. Trees were green and lush looking, the grass looked full and green too. The air smelt sweet, with a slight hint of perfume in the air, possibly from the flowers in bloom by the side of the path. Tom paused and took a deep breath. Yes the air smelt so sweet. Tom smiled. Wendy fluttered to Tom’s should and rested there. Tom reached up and tickled her gently. She wiggled and chirped, gently nibbling his fingers with her teeth. She then nestled up to his neck and started to snooze. Tom could hear her gentle breathing and smiled. He then looked ahead. In the distance he could see what looked like golden spires reaching up into the sky.

“So that’s Hiddlesville” Tom said outloud.

“Well no good hanging around here, best get moving.”

Tom gazed around in awe as he entered the city of Hiddlesville. It was magnificent. Golden spires glinted in the sun, reaching high into the sky. The main citadel was huge. It was very regal looking and very grand. The streets were bustling with people. There were traders selling exotic goods and street performers everywhere. Garlands and banners were draped across the front of the buildings; golds, reds, blues, and yellows. Flower petals dropped from the upper levels down onto passing pedestrians. Music and laughter filled the air. Tom found himself smiling. He liked Hiddlesville. It seemed so vibrant, colourful and alive!
Tom carried on walking towards what looked like a main square. He noticed a large sign as he approached. It read Fitzgerald Square. Tom looked up from the sign and saw several groups of people sitting and taking to each other. As he wandered past each group he could over hear parts of conversations. To Tom they seemed to be discussing the merits of certain well known books and their authors. Ahead Tom noticed more signs, this time pointing the way towards places such as; Ministry of Tourism, Ministry of Culture and the Ministry of Information. To paused at the base of the steps of the Ministry of Culture and looked left down the street. Tucked in at the end of the street was what looked like a theatre. It bore a striking resemblance to the Globe in London. Intrigued Tom turned and walked towards it. Wendy was still fast asleep on Tom’s shoulder. She has just started snoring. To the right of the theatre stood a tavern. It looked old, well worn and like it could tell you tales of dark deeds and drunken revelries. Tom read the sign above the door. Hal’s Pals Tavern. Hmm… thought Tom.

He took a deep breath. He was rather hungry, having not really eaten anything since he had arrived. The tavern seemed the only place he might be able to find a decent meal… well a meal…possibly. He stepped up and into the tavern. Inside was dark. Any light came from candles flickering on the tables. The walls and floors were crocked and had what looked like centuries of dirt caked onto them. It was virtually empty save for a few shabbily dressed characters sitting by the roaring fire in the hearth. Well, thought Tom, I’m in here now.

“Be brave Thomas”, he whispered to himself.

Wendy who by now had smelt the likelihood of being fed, stirred on Tom’s shoulder. She wiggled, tickling Tom’s neck. He let out a quiet giggle and whispered to Wendy to keep still. She settled down again on his shoulder, but let out a quiet growl when she spotted the figures by the fire.

“Shhh Wendy. It’s ok” Tom said reassuringly to Wendy but also to himself. This place had a certain feeling to it he couldn’t quite put his finger on. He didn’t feel totally comfortable here, but he could hardly walk out the door now. Also not now that he had just been noticed by one of the figures.

“Ah kind sir, pray come in…come in. Sit ye down” A jumble of rags shuffled towards Tom. He could just make out an eye and a mouth under tussled, messy brown hair.

“ ‘Ave ye come far?”

“You look like you could do with a good meal.”

“We have boiled pigeons, calves tongues, baked goose, pie of shrimps, or venison pasty, followed by brisket cakes, comfits or rice pudding.”

Tom only noticed the hair moving, as yet he could not quite tell where the woman’s mouth was. He found himself staring at the woman too long. Ah! He thought, where are my manners? He shook his head, clearing his thoughts.

“Ah…ah… yes... sorry.” Spluttered Tom, feeling a little embarrassed.

“I’m on a short trip away from home” he thought fast.
“I am rather hungry”

Wendy growled at the woman as she approached.

“Shhh Wendy” Tom hissed quietly.

“Ah, we don’t be allowing no animals in here Sir” the hair looked at Wendy on Tom’s shoulder. He thought he could make out the glint of the flickering candle on the table. It reflected briefly in her eye which was still hidden behind the hair.

Wendy growled then whimpered in Tom’s ear. She huddled close to his neck.

“Please?” pleaded Tom.

“Could she not stay, she won’t cause you any bother. I can vouch for her behavior” Tom looked at the mass of curls hoping he could try and make eye contact with the woman. He didn’t succeed.

“Well I see no real harm in her staying. Jus’ don’t let my husband know. He was attacked by a pack of those things close to Magnusville. He hates ‘em”

Wendy growled, then whimpered and stuck close to Tom’s neck. He watched the hair closely to see if the woman might now change her mind, but the hair didn’t move.

Quickly Tom thought about changing the subject. He looked around a little flustered and thought about what he should order food-wise.

“Umm…could I have…” None of the options sounded particularly appetizing, but he didn’t know when he might be able to eat again.
“Could I have…the baked goose…? Followed by the rice pudding…?” Tom stared at the hair.

“Why of course you can kind sir.”

“I shall return with it shortly” and with that the woman turned and shuffled off into the back of the tavern. Wendy hopped down off Tom’s shoulder on to the table. She danced around the flickering candle growling and snapping at it. Tom looked down and smiled at her.

“Be careful” he warned her “Don’t get too close you might singe your whiskers” he chuckled.

Wendy stopped chasing the flames and flopped on the table exhausted. She looked up at Tom and waggled her side whiskers. Tom smiled and tickled Wendy who giggled and wiggled.

The woman then appeared in the doorway, carrying Tom’s food. Firstly she brought forward the baked goose and placed on the table in front of him. She also placed a flagon of bear and a goblet next to the plate of steamed hot food.

“There you go sir, hope you find it to your satisfaction” she turned and headed back to the back room.

Tom’s eyes grew wide at the sight of such a magnificent feast! Wendy bounced excitedly up and down next to the plate. Tom carefully cut away some food for Wendy and placed it next to her. She devoured quickly and then settled back on Tom’s shoulder and went to sleep again. Tom thought the entire meal was delicious, the rice pudding was divine and the beer tasted so good. He sat back in his seat comfortable but tired. The woman appeared beside him.

“Did you enjoy your meal sir?” she asked Tom.

“Oh yes very much so” replied Tom drowsily.

“Then I must ask you now for payment” and with that the woman straighten and stood tall. Tom blinked and tried to focus, but he had eaten too much and was drowsy from the beer.
Tom blinked as the woman’s robes fell away to reveal Loki standing in front of Tom…

Tom’s head swam and he tried to concentrate on Loki’s smiling face. He rubbed his head and tried to focus. Oh he felt so woozy. His eyelids felt so heavy. He blinked several times and tried to say something. The room around him began to move on its own the figures by the fire were now facing him, laughing hysterically, pointing and jeering. Tom looked for Wendy. She had rolled off his shoulder and onto the table. She wasn’t moving. Tom tried to look up at Loki but his head felt like it was going to explode. He pushed his chair back trying to get up, but his legs buckled beneath him and he tumbled to the floor. Loki walked over to his unconscious body and lent over it, smiling.

“Welcome to Hiddlesgard Thomas.”

“You may find that thing’s may not be so simple from this point onwards. I’m looking forward to seeing how you play my little game”…