Sequel: Wendy's Tale

Thomas' Adventures in Hiddlesgard

Apothecary

The tavern grew quiet as news spread about Wendy. A small group had gathered around Tom. No one said anything. Hal came dashing through to Tom as he heard the news. His face pale. He looked at Tom holding Wendy.

His face grew hard. Loki caused this. Loki had taken the life of Wendy. Something needed to be done. Someone had to stand up to Loki. He knew what had to be done. He would speak to the others. They would listen to him. Together with Tom by their side they would be strong. He could send out messengers. The others would come. Hiddlesgard and it's people had been threatened. Henry had been missing for some time. Hal reasoned Loki was behind that too. Hiddlesgard with no King, obviously Loki had wanted any resistance removed. He thought wrong. In fact he had now made Hal even more determined that something should be done.

He was about to speak to Tom, he knew now was not the best time to discuss such matters, but they had to fight back, when Steve appeared at the tavern door. Behind him stood the apothecary. An old man dressed in gold and yellow velvet. He had long curly grey hair and a wild unruly grey beard.

"What happened?" said Steve. He was expecting to hear noise and laughter but they were only greeted by sad faces and silence. He then saw Tom holding Wendy and understood.

"No!" He said looking shocked.

"I really thought she would pull through. She was a fighter."

He turned to the apothecary. "Is there still time? Can you do anything?"

The apothecary frowned and walked over to Tom.

"Hand her to me."

"I need to take her"

Tom gazed up at the apothecary his face damp with tears, and a look of loss and utter despair.

"Tom" the apothecary said firmly "you need to hand Wendy to me"

He held out both his hands.

Tom said nothing but shook his head, his eyes were opened wide and red. A single tear ran down his cheek.

"I www...no...I can't...Wendy has to stay with me." His eyes pleaded with the apothecary.

"Tom I cannot help either of you unless you let me take Wendy."

Tom looked up, confused

"Help?...How? She's cold, I can't feel her breathing."

"Oh Tom" the apothecary smiled. "You are in Hiddlesgard don't your realise. You..."

Steve shot the apothecary a warning glance. He said no more and looked at Tom again.

Tom was confused. He had just lost his best friend, but he could still save her?

"Me?" He asked puzzled. "How can I do anything?"

"Let me have her Tom, come to my shop, it will be ok. Come my boy, you'll see."

Tom sniffed and rubbed his eyes. He didn't understand. He was tired and confused. He wanted this to end, he no longer wanted to play the game.

"Tom, please... It's the only way." The apothecary held out his hands again.

Tom reluctantly passed Wendy over to him.

"Good lad, now come with me."

They both left the tavern with Steve guiding Tom, he seemed to be keeping careful watch around the street as they walked, but Tom was too concerned with getting to the apothecary's shop without his foot causing him too much pain.

The door of the shop was now open and candles were lit inside. Tom didn't care that much, he still felt numb and lifeless. He stared blankly ahead as he sat down at a large wooden table. They were surround by shelf upon shelf of bottles, some empty some containing brightly colour liquid.

"Now" said the apothecary "lets take a look."

Steve coughed, clearing his throat.
"Ah, I had best be getting back to the tavern."

"And old man, be careful." He said. He stared hard at the old man as if giving a warning.

"Yes, yes... Don't worry" the apothecary replied.

A tiny bell above the door tinkled as Steve left.

The face of the apothecary changed immediately. He smiled warmly at Tom.

"Right my boy. Let's see if we can sort out you too while you are here."

"Sparkz! Horace!"
"I need you two out here. Come on boys."

From behind a thick velvet curtain which hung across a doorway at the back of the shop flew two Wendys. One quite small and ginger, it looked a little like Wendy, and a larger slightly darker coloured Wendy. The smaller Wendy seemed to be wearing a mini pirate's hat. It flitted and flapped around Tom's head excitedly.

"Sparkz. Calm down you can speak more to our visitor later. His friend needs our help."

Sparkz hovered then looked down. Spotting Wendy, he let out a concerned chirp and floated gently down to her, stroking her with his whiskers.

"Horace I need the pink bottle on the shelf over there if you please." instructed the apothecary to the larger Wendy

Horace gave a little grumble but fluttered over to the shelf and started to search for the bottle.

The apothecary turned back and looked at Tom. Tom shook his head confused.

"Ah. These two are my Wendy helpers Sparkz and Horace. I guess you don't know too much about Wendys do you?" He leant close to Tom and patted his hand, smiling warmly.

"We can save your friend." Tom sat open-mouthed.

"Yo...you can bring Wendy back."

"Yes if I just have a little space and use a few of my potions."

"Wendys are being of pure joy and love. Your Wendy had had a blast of such intense negativity and hate that it is very, very difficult to bounce back from, but your love for her, Tom, is keeping her with us, only just mind, but she is still there. We must be quick. You brought her back from the brink. She is cold but she is still there. You need to believe Tom, you need to stay positive. You are linked to Hiddlesgard in ways you do not know about. I cannot tell you more. But you have to believe you can defeat Loki and that Wendy here will recover. Never give in, never give up."

Horace landed next to Wendy with the potion. He grumbled as the apothecary reached for it.

"Pay no mind to Horace, he's getting on a bit in age. You know I mentioned Wendys are pure joy and love well Horace here has a little bit to learn still."

Horace gave a low chuckle and waddled along the table on his whiskers towards where Wendy lay. He stood next to Sparkz, stroking Wendy.

Tom sat in disbelief and then he felt a glow inside him. Could it be true? Wendy could come back? His smile grew. Sparkz had stopped stroking Wendy and looked at Tom. He giggled and wiggled his whiskers at Tom. Tom waggled his fingers back. Sparkz launched himself from the table and flew up to Tom's face. He chattered away excitedly, Tom not understanding a word he was saying. Tom just smiled politely.

"Ah I see you have made a new friend. Forgive him he is very young. He likes playing 'dress up' he likes pirates at the moment."

"Which would explain the hat" said Tom smiling. Sparkz bounced up and down, he was still chattering to Tom excitedly.

"Now let's take a look at Wendy" said the apothecary lifting her up. He took the cork out of the bottle and placed a few drops of the liquid into Wendys mouth.

"There that will do for a start. She knows you are here Tom. That is giving her strength. She needs time now. Sadly we do not have it, but we shall do our best."

He placed her back in her blanket. She moved. She moved! Tom's heart leapt. He looked up at the apothecary with the largest grin across his face. He was so happy.

Seeing Tom smiling sent Sparkz off on a wild spin around the shop.

The apothecary laughed.

"He is rather lively. He is a Hiddlesville Huggle and Horace here is a Hazeldine Hug-me-tight."

Horace grumbled from underneath the shop counter. He was trying to tidy up.

"Huggles have skills in healing. Sparkz is helping in his own way. He will spend time with Wendy while you sleep. Don't worry she will be ok."

"Now let me look at your foot."

"Oh it's nothing." responded Tom, wincing

"Nonsense" said the apothecary.

"We need to take a look at it. Sparkz I am in need of your skills. Sparkz suddenly stopped spinning, giggled and flew to Tom's foot. He chattered away as he studied it closely.He looked back at the apothecary and chirped at him.

"Ah just as I thought" said the apothecary

"You understand what he says?" said Tom

"Yes" replied the apothecary. "I am very old and have been around and studied Wendys for many years. You tend to, after a while, pick up on what they are trying to say. I call it Wendyese."

"Ah yes, a very bad sprain." He said looking at Tom's foot.

"You are very lucky. I have some ointment that would help take down the swelling and Sparkz here can help with the rest."

Tom very painfully removed his boot and sock. Sparkz flew up to his ankle. He waggled his whiskers and made a 'pew' sound holding his whisker in front of what could have been his nose. He giggled.

"Sparkz that's naughty." scolded the apothecary, but he was smiling.

Sparkz giggled and stared stroking the bruised area. Tom felt his foot tingle but in a warm comforting way. He felt better.

Soon his foot did not ache anymore and he could put on his sock and boot with no problem. It wasn't completely healed but it was a lot better than before.

"Thank you Sparkz" said Tom gratefully.

Sparkz giggled and then turned and looked at the apothecary, he started chirping away merrily and at great speed.

"Well" said the apothecary to him "you have to ask Tom. He may not want to."

"May not want to what?" asked Tom intrigued.

"Sparkz would like to know if he could play pirates with you?"

Tom laughed. "Of course yes."

Tom felt happy sitting there with the apothecary and the Wendys, maybe there was time this evening for a bit of fun.

Sparkz let out chirp of joy and fluttered at speed to the curtain. He gave one look back at Tom then chirped and disappeared behind it. Tom could hear him moving things around, clattering boxes and chirping to himself.

"You don't really mind do you?" asked the apothecary.
"He is so young it's hard for a man of my years to keep up with him. It's very kind that you said you would play pirates with him."

"Not at all" said Tom smiling. "I love pretending to be other people." He paused, another memory.

"Something wrong" enquired the apothecary, looking concerned.

"No...no it's just Loki took my memories and they are slowly returning. I have to know tomorrow who I really am, otherwise he wins his game. There are more and more memories coming back to me but I'm afraid it will not happen in time."

The apothecary patted his hand.

"What was I saying about staying positive? You have to believe you can beat Loki. He will throw everything at you, try to bring you down to the lowest you will feel. He will try to make you despair, to give up, but you must not."

Just then Sparkz reappeared with another pirate hat. It was tiny on Tom's head but he managed to balance it well enough so it did not fall off.

Tom laughed as Sparkz headed off into the back room again. This time he emerged with two tiny wooden cutlasses. He handed one to Tom and then fluttered a few feet from him.

He puffed himself up and started chattering what Tom assumed was a pirate challenge. Tom answered with an 'Argh' and waggled his tiny cutlass in a return challenge. Sparkz then proceeded to fight Tom with his cutlass. The battle was short as Tom pretended to be stabbed through the heart by the brave pirate Sparkz. As Tom lay 'wounded' on the floor, Sparkz giggled and chirped happily. He flew down to where Tom lay and patted him on the forehead. Tom opened his eyes and sat up. Sparkz flew up on to his shoulder then hugged his neck. Tom smiled this was the first time he had laughed out loud for a long time and it felt good. He felt better more energised. Little Sparkz had helped him very much.

Tom got up and wandered back to Wendy. She had now opened her eyes, she was still weak but Tom was relieved to see her awake.

The apothecary walked over and stood behind Tom looking at Wendy.

"See it's beginning to work. You are feeling better too yes?"

"Yes" said Tom checking his weight on his foot. "Much better thank you. Thank you so much. How can I repay you."

"You owe me nothing young man. Wendys mean a lot to me. I just wanted to help this very brave little lady."

Wendy blinked and weakly waved a whisker at Tom. He reached out and held it tenderly. A surge of warmth flowed through him. He smiled.

"Now my boy, you must be hungry and tired. Wendy will be fine but you need to rest. Sparkz has been a little lively this evening. You've helped me too by tiring him out."

He looked for Sparkz and spotted him snuggling up next to Wendy.

"He's mischievous but I wouldn't be without him. Horace where are you?

They heard a grumble from a blanket tucked up on the top shelf. The apothecary smiled.

"Goodnight Horace" he said with a sigh.

"Now then Tom, come through to the back we'll get you some supper and then you can rest."

They spent the evening chatting about Wendys and of Hiddlesgard. Tom drifted into a drowsy sleep listening to the apothecary talk about the Wendys of Hiddlesgard. He tried to stay awake and was not deliberately being not polite but he just needed to close his eyes. The fire in the hearth glowed a warming orange, the room was cosy and the chair he was sitting in was so deep and comfortable he just could not stay awake.

A little while later the apothecary stopped talking and looked at Tom. He smiled. Getting up he reached for a nearby blanket and laid it gently over Tom

"Rest my boy. You rest. Sleep deep and well."

His smile faded and he looked sad.

"You will need all your strength for tomorrow." he sighed heavily, tucking the sides of the blanket in next to Tom.

"We all need you to succeed, more than you will ever know."

Tom stirred slightly, gave a little mumble then turned over on his side in the chair and slept...