Sequel: Wendy's Tale

Thomas' Adventures in Hiddlesgard

Loki Isle

Tom struggled against the the tight grip of the guard holding him. He was too strong, he had no hope of escape.

He didn't remember anything after the incident at the marketplace in Hiddlesville. His shirt was still soiled with his blood, his wound still quite raw. The blood loss had zapped him of energy.

"Well, well, well. So you got this far and survived. You have heart. I am impressed." Sneered Loki.

He strolled proudly around Tom, a large smirk crossing his lips. He had Tom exactly where he wanted him now and he was going to relish every single moment of his dominance over him.

"You know I didn't think you would be strong enough. I thought when I first met you, you had something special, some power over other Midgardians, but it seems you have no power, no magic. You couldn't even win my game."

"You have made me very angry though." Loki paused, the smile fading from his lips.

"You have crossed me, you have made friends who would challenge me. You have given them the foolish belief that if you can stand up to me so can they.That...cannot happen."

Loki lifted his head and glared straight at Tom. Tom swallowed hard, and shifted uneasily. He needed to escape, get out and away from Loki. He felt the guard's grip tighten. He grimaced. He started to struggle. The guard pushed him forward towards Loki. His wound stung as fell hard on to his knees.

"Now you will beg for my mercy."

Steve lurked back in the shadows, he was not sure what to do, he wanted to join the fight, be part of something. He was never happy following Loki's orders to get rid of Wendy, but he had crossed Loki once before and suffered the consequences. Loki could be merciful but Loki could also be very cruel. He took pleasure in watching others suffer. In a strange twisted way it brought him comfort. Like they were sharing his pain, they could feel what he was feeling.

Steve didn't want to share Loki's pain again. He clenched his fists and bit his lip. He was torn. Could he be brave just this one final time? Could he stand up to Loki? He liked that little Wendy. She had spirit, she had courage, more courage than Steve. He swallowed hard and looked over at Loki and Tom. He had to help. He had lied to Loki. If Loki ever found out... Tom was in pain. He'd felt that same pain. Intense, never ending pain. He covered his ears, blocking out Tom's cries.

'No', he shook his head. It had to stop. Loki had to stop!

First he had to free the others, together they were stronger, together they could defeat Loki!

He backed slowly away from behind the column and turned and headed for the door. He winced as he heard Tom cry out again. He had to be quick. Tom had made Loki very angry. He hated to lose.

........................................................

Wendy tried desperately to flap her whiskers. It was hard, her energy levels had still not returned to normal. She could only manage a foot or so above her blanket. She grew frustrated at being so helpless. She needed to get out and find Tom.

She heard a key turn on the lock of the shop door and the door chime tinkle then saw the apothecary. He looked very sad. Sparkz was trying to cheer him up. Horace just grumbled.

He walked over to Wendy and stroked her gently.

"Oh Wendy, what were we to do?"

"I couldn't let anything happen to my boys could I. They mean the world to me."

"It is your turn now Wendy."

"Sparkz... Bring them in."

Sparkz chirped in reply and flew out of the shop door. He returned a few minutes later followed by at least twenty Hiddlesville Huggles. They surrounded Wendy and started singing and chanting in Wendyese. The air grew electric and Wendy could feel her whole body tingling. She felt stronger. She felt strong enough to fly. She fluttered her whiskers and lifted easily from her blanket. She flew around the shop a few times trying to keep her balance. She swooped over to the apothecary and landed on his shoulder. He smiled.

"Are you ready my dear?"

She chirped.

"Then you need an army."

He opened the door. Out flew Wendy followed by Sparkz, Horace, and the Huggles.

"Take care of my boys Wendy and bring them back to me safely will you!" The apothecary shouted after her.

Wendy started chirping loudly. Hiddlesville Huggles replied. Soon she was joined by hundreds of them. They started appearing from everywhere. Houses, trees, rooftops...The large flock circled Hiddlesville then flew north. There was work to be done.

........................................................

It didn't take Steve long to reach the cells.

Bill was the first to spot Steve. Steve saw he was terrified. Poor lad, thought Steve, he's so young, shouldn't be locked up here. None of them should. He grabbed the keys from the hook by the door and unlocked Bill's cell. Bill emerged looking ashen faced and a little shaken. He offered a small smile of gratitude to Steve and waited patiently while Steve freed the others. One at a time.

Freddie greeted Steve with a look of contempt as he fumbled with the lock. He couldn't make eye contact with Freddie.

"It will not help matters if I say to you what I think of you right now" Freddie spat.

"It's about time you finally made a decision who you are with. Better late than never I suppose. Come on hurry it up!"

Steve finally unlocked the cell doer and took a few steps back as Freddie marched past. He glared at Steve.

Next came Hal he was also not happy with Steve.

He scolded Steve too, for his foolishness and lack of honour.

Steve felt ashamed and sorry for not being stronger, but he was standing up to Loki now. He was joining the fight with the rest of them.

In the furthest dark corner of the cell room sat Henry.
His face was set hard. He scowled too at Steve through the bars of the cell, but remained silent.

Freddie took the keys from Steve and walked towards the King's cell. He bowed his head in respect and undid the lock.

"Sire, there is trouble in Hiddlesgard will you stand with us?"

"I know well of this Loki. We shall fight as one. Where is this Tom now?"

"In... In the throne room, Sire" stammered Steve.

"Very well. Together we stand." Henry stood up and joined the rest of the group.

They left the cell room. All of them. King Henry, Freddie, Hal, Magnus, Bill, and William. There were others too, Edward, Captain Nicholls and Oakley.

........................................................

By now Wendy was flying over Magnusville. She chattered wildly and loudly. At first nothing happened then slowly Wendy after Wendy emerged from it's roosting place. Soon hundreds of Magnusville Munchers were flying in unison behind Wendy. Onwards they flew over Freddietown. More Wendys joined the swarming, swirling flock. This time it was Freddietown Facinators. Over Williamsburg they were met by Williamsburg Wanderers. Hundreds of Wendys grew into thousands! By the time they flew over Oakley's Vineyard and were joined by Oakley Oddities their numbers reached near 5000. Last to join were the Nicholl's Nibblers. The huge flock chattered and swooped in one large swarming mass of whiskers and noise. The chattering was so loud all the inhabitants of Hiddlesgard looked up into the sky. A mass of flying moustaches! The noise was tremendous! Wendy flew proudly ahead of the flock, leading the way to Loki Isle and to Tom.

........................................................

Steve and the rest of the group were waiting just out of sight at the doorway of Loki's throne room.

They could see Loki pacing and talking. Steve assumed he was talking to Tom but he could not see him. Where was Tom? Steve panicked. We're they too late?

No they couldn't be! They still had time. Loki had not won yet.

Freddie stepped up beside Steve.

"Where is he? I can't see him? We need to get closer. Take our moment when we can."

They edged quietly into the room, using the stone columns as cover.

They could hear Loki more clearly now. He was gloating. He was smiling and relishing his moment of triumph. In front of him on the floor lay Tom. Hardly moving. He was very close to letting go and giving up. Loki knew this and continued to play like a cat with a trapped mouse. Loki had the upper hand and he wanted the enjoy every single lasting moment of it.

"We have to do this now" said Freddie. "Are you with me?" They all nodded. Bill looked scared.

"It's ok Billy my boy!" Said Freddie reassuringly. "Loki is no match for all of us. Together chaps!"

They stepped out from behind the column and marched together towards Loki.

Loki turned and smirked at the assembled group.

"Ah, and here we have your saviours Thomas. Here to save the day. To save you."

Tom lifted his head weakly from the floor and squinted his eyes. His vision was blurred and he had nothing else left inside him. He tried in vain to get up.

Loki turned his head suddenly and glared at Tom

"Still fighting, never giving up?" he spat.

"I will never give up so long as I still have breath inside me Loki" Tom gasped back.

"You need to realise when you have lost the battle."

"I will never give in to you Loki. Do whatever you want I will NEVER give up I will always have hope."

Loki sneered at Tom. He lifted his sceptre slowly. It's blue glow grew brighter and more intense.

"Loki let him go!" Freddie said firmly

Loki swung around slowly and smirked. This pathetic group of individuals didn't actually think they could beat a god did they? No. It was all just words, they did not have the courage to face him.

Freddie saw the groups' chance and shouted out for them to charge forward, they didn't hesitate! All...together.

Loki's smile disappeared, replaced by shock, then a fleeting look of fear. He automatically took a step backwards. This many of them, all at once?

It took him a moment to recover. He raised his sceptre. He would dispatch a few, lessening their numbers. Yes, he could removed a few problems at the same time. There would be nowhere for the Midgardian to turn to then.

His delay had allowed the group to surround Tom. They circled him. Loki would have to take them all on to get to Tom. They had no weapons though, this would be easy thought Loki.

Tom knew something had changed. The air felt different...electric even. His breathing quickened he could feel a tingling deep inside him. He could feel each of then inside him, inside his head, his characters, his creations, they were part of him. He... He... He is Tom. Tom ... Hiddleston. Yes Tom Hiddleston! A surge of energy shot through Tom. He felt energised. He stood up and looked at each of his characters in turn, smiling. Yes they were his! He was an actor! And he remembered!

At that moment Loki knew Tom had remembered, his face contorted into raging fury!

Arrrrrrhhhhhhh! He screamed, it was full of anger, pain and frustration. His face a snarl of intense hatred. All directed at Tom.

Tom took a step back. The whole group did. Loki advanced towards them slowly. Slow, deliberate, anger-filled steps. His sceptre glowing brighter and brighter. With each advancing step the group retreated. They had no weapons, only each other. That was no match for the sceptre.

Tom heard a noise. A slightly familiar noise. His heartbeat quickened and he smiled and he listened. His smile grew as the noise grew louder. He looked confidently back at Loki.

"You have lost Loki!"
"Let me go! Return me home!"

"Never Midgardian!" Loki spat back, his eyes burning bright green.

"You will never leave this place! I will not let you!"

He raised his sceptre, fire burning in his eyes and hatred in his heart. He had lost many times before when it had truly mattered that he should succeed. How may times had be tried to prove to his father Odin he was worthy and Thor had bettered him. He was not respected by his family. They thought him the lesser of the two princes. Thor the golden one with all the privileges awarded to him. What was there for Loki? This he could control, this he had power over. He would not yield. Never. He would not be bettered by some insignificant Migardian.

The sceptre was primed and Loki was prepared to fire.
He smirked, raising the sceptre line with Tom. This would rid him of the Midgardian.

It crackled and burned.Tom felt the air around him tingle. The hairs on his arms stood up. He swallowed hard. He had nothing to fight back against the sceptre. As long as he did not show Loki he was beginning to feel nervous. If he could continue looking confident...but the noise grew louder

Loki advanced, ready to fire the sceptre, but...he shook his head... he was loosing focus, that noise...that excruciatingly horrible noise. Loki covered his ears. He glared at Tom and the group. That noise, it wouldn't stop and it was getting louder.

Suddenly in through the throne room doorway crashed thousands upon thousands of Wendys, led by Wendy. They flew straight at Loki who eyes opened wide in shock. He started to back away. He Wendys swarmed around and over him. He had no time to fire his sceptre. The Wendys were too swift.

Loki cried out.

Suddenly there was fluttering over to the left and through a window flew more Wendys, however these were thinner looking one than the other Wendys and Hadley sets of long, thin whiskers that curled up at the ends. These were Loki's Wendys. There were not as many as Wendy's army but they flew to Loki's defence. Circling him.

Loki was surrounded by a swirling mass of Wendys. His Wendys though were no match for Wendy's army and soon they had to retreat, leaving Loki trying to get away from a sea of Hiddlesgard Wendys.

Wendy pulled away from the main group and swooped down towards Tom. She barrelled into his chest chattering and giggling, she was so happy to be with him again. She giggled and summersaulted with joy.Tom hugged her so tight he didn't want to let go. Tears filled his eyes.

"Oh Wendy, my darling sweet Wendy. I have missed you."

Wendy waggled her whiskers and chirped and chatted continuous at Tom. He laughed. He couldn't understand a word she was saying to him. He just kept nodding and smiling in agreement with whatever she was chattering about. When she paused for breath he hugged her close to him. Wendy chirped quietly. She knew what was coming. Tom had not realised it yet. For the briefest of moments Wendy had felt such joy at being reunited with Tom. She didn't want this moment to end. She hid her whiskers deep into Tom's chest and shed her very first tear. She could not let him see her cry. He might never return home. He had to go home. He could not stay. She had to let him go.

The group huddled round Tom. They were smiling and happy.

Freddie looked around concerned.

"Where's Loki?"

"Perhaps the Wendys chased him away." offered Bill quietly.

"Hmm" said Freddie concern in his voice. "We'll I hope they have. He will know better than to come to Hiddlesgard again."

" No doubt he'll be a little sore about us but he'll know Hiddlesgard is defended."

He turned to the rest of the group.

"Well done chaps!" Freddie exclaimed.

He then turned and looked at Steve.

"You know you left one cell locked, with someone still in it."

Steve nodded.

"I didn't think it would be wise to release him too. One Loki, our Loki is trouble enough, but the real God of Asgard..."

"Wise choice, though I suppose we had better release him too. A little mischief making is better than what we have just been through. Our Loki knows when it is wise to take a step back. Besides the Wendy's keep him in check." He laughed at looked at Wendy. She was still attached to Tom.

"Well my boy, best get you home." He slapped a hand hard against Tom's shoulder, shoving him forward.

Tom, dazed, blinked and spluttered.

"What? Now? Right now? Um... Really?"

"No time like the present" smiled Freddie.

"Oh, I..." Tom spluttered.

"No need to say anything. We need to get you home. The Wendy's know how."

Tom smiled. "The Wendys?" "How?..." no matter, he thought, he was going home.

Then his smile faded... Wendy.

He could feel her breathing against his chest. She was curled up tight against him. He bit his lip, he reached a hand up and gently stroked her whiskers.

She started purring. Tom's eyes filled with tears. He had to say goodbye, but didn't know how to. It was Wendy, his Wendy. They had been through so much together. She had saved him so many times in this world. They were meant to be together. He couldn't imagine returning home, alone.

"Wendy..." he whispered, gently stroking her.

"Wendy sweetheart..." He bit his lip again, holding back the tears.

"You know what has to happen now, don't you."

He could feel her nodding against his chest. He had a quiet laugh. God, she could be too adorable at times.
He swallowed hard. He couldn't leave her.

"Tom" said Freddie quietly, his hand on Tom's shoulder.

"It's time to go."

"Wendy..." Tom started to say.

She fluttered up and away from him then hovered above him. She could see he was crying. She flew back to him, swooping low. She kissed his forehead then flew upwards and away out of a window, and was gone.

Tom stood alone. Tears welled up inside his eyes again. Wendy was gone. His adorable, loveable, brave Wendy. He would never see his friend again. He rubbed the tears away from his eyes and took a breath. He had to go. He didn't belong here. He knew he would miss Wendy so very much. He turned and looked at Henry, Freddie, William, Edward, Bill, Steve, Captain Nicholls and Hal.

"You know you in a way I will really miss this place, so much still to see, but I have to go, don't I?."

Hal bowed his head at Tom and smiled.

He smiled at Bill. 'Behave and do as you mum tells you." He laughed.

He stopped in front of Henry and bowed his head.

"I would really have liked to have spent time with you my lord. I feel we would have had a lot to talk about."

"Perhaps another time? Hiddlesgard still has many secrets, but for now you must return home." Henry replied smiling.

"Over there if you please Tom" Freddie pointed to the centre of the room.

Tom sniffed, he needed a tissue, Freddie obliged with a handkerchief.

"Thank you" said Tom, a small smile crossed his lips.

Freddie smiled back.

"Now this might get a little... Well, brace yourself" he laughed and stepped back towards the others.

"Thank you all" said Tom, raising his hand in a small wave.

He could hear that familiar chattering sound again. It was the Wendys, the were coming towards the throne room...and fast...thought Tom.

Suddenly they burst into the room, a huge pulsating mass of whiskers. They swirled around him, faster and faster, the noise growing louder and louder. Eventually Tom had to resort to covering his ears. It was so loud. He felt the air start to vibrate around him. It felt weird. The air felt electric. The Wendy's were now a swirling grey mass, he could not make out the shape of any individual Wendy. He was losing focus, his head began to swim. Quicker and quicker the Wendys swirled. Tom felt dizzy. He stumbled and fell to his knees. Then everything went dark and silent.

........................................................

Tom opened his eyes. He couldn't see anything. For a moment he started to panic. Then his eyes grew accustomed to the darkness. He recognised familiar shapes. He was in his bedroom. Lying on his bed. He was back. He was home. He lay back down on the bed and closed his eyes.

........................................................

A week had past since Tom's return. Slowly his life was returning back to normal. Familiar routines, and his life resumed in London. Tom would often find himself looking into a mirror, waiting for Wendy to appear beside him, but she never did. He missed her.

Tonight he was attending another movie premier and was getting ready in front of the mirror. He sighed. Then made his way out to the waiting car. He slipped on his jacket and turned to turn out the light. He had one final check and tapped his jacket pocket. It chirped back at him. He stopped dead, then tapped it again. This time it chirped again but he could tell he was being scolded. He knew who was telling him off. He smiled broadly. Should he ignore his pocket and wind her up more or take a peek? He took a peek...

The End...