Sequel: Wendy's Tale

Thomas' Adventures in Hiddlesgard

Trapped

Tom walked, head held low back into the hut. He'd spent nearly all afternoon searching for Wendy. There was no sign of her. He had called out until his voice grew hoarse. He was upset his friend had left him.He wondered if she had still been annoyed with him. Maybe she didn't like being told to wait in the hut. Tom really didn't know anything about that funny little moustache. He'd thought about giving it a name. Wendy had popped into his head for some reason and that name seemed to fit the moustache quite well he thought. That funny little moustache had been with him since he arrived in this place. It all felt so strange yet so familiar. She had been with him and having a friend brought him comfort.Since that strange man had told him he had to find out who he really was, he had been dazed and confused. What was this 'game' he wanted him to play? Why him? How was he to even begin to discover who he was? He sighed. He had no idea what to do. Tom lifted his head slightly and looked sadly at Steve who was sitting on a rocking chair by the stove. He was peeling what looked like potatoes. There was a small saucepan on the stove. Steve diced the potatoes and then tumbled them into the pan.He was humming a tune to himself and didn't pay any attention to Tom's return.

Tom walked up the the small wooden table close to the door and sat down. He wondered if he should cough or clear his throat or just make small conversation with Steve. He sat at the table and played with his fingers. 

"So, no sign of your little friend then?" said Steve not looking up from his peeling.

"Um no, no sign" replied Tom, looking down onto the table.

"I called out, but nothing. You didn't notice her leave?" he looked up at Steve, his eyes sad.

Nope said Steve not looking up. I saw you leave for the logs, turned my back to her to go and get supper prepared. Then you came in looking for her and she had gone. I wouldn't worry. They're funny little creatures, minds of there own, don't normally take to people.

There are more of them? Asked Tom surprised.

"Oh yes" replied Steve. "Flocks of them. They used to be domesticated. But then people didn't look after them properly and set them loose to fend for themselves. There are feral flocks all over the place. Tricky little chaps to catch."

Tom frowned. "You catch them?" He asked.
"Why do you need to do that?"

Steve looked up suddenly, damn he thought I shouldn't have said that.

"Oh well...Not me personally...but there are professional moustache catchers out there rounding them up. The flocks can become a bit of a pain so it was decided that they should be rounded up and transferred somewhere more suitable for them."

"I have no idea where they take them but there are a few still out there. Your friend being one of them. She is probably safer on her own than with a flock."

Tom sighed. He did miss Wendy. He couldn't stay here if she had gone. He had to press on. He only had seven days and today was already drawing to a close. He pushed his chair back and went to get up.

"Going somewhere" said Steve. "I've prepared tea, you're welcome to stay."

"I really should be going." said Tom. "I have a limited amount of time to complete something and I really should be moving on."

"Nonsense." said Steve "Stay for tea at least and then set off if you are sure you really want to. You could stay the night too. The forest is not the place you want to be at night. There's a spare bed out the back."

Tom thought about trying to negotiate the forest in the dark and thought perhaps Steve's offer of somewhere to rest was worth taking him up on.

"So long as you are sure it's ok."

"No problem. Would be good to have some company."

That evening they dined on Steve's homemade stew. And chatted about Hiddlesgard. Tom learnt that there were three towns, Magnusville, Freddietown and Williamsburg, with Hiddlesville being the capital city. Each town having a distinct personality, well according to Steve they did. There were wondrous sounding places like the Plains of Joyous Merriment and the Plains of Infinite Possibilities. There was also the Inspiration Falls,a tall, tumbling waterfull to the North of Hiddlesgard. There was even a vineyard called Oakley's. To Tom Hiddlesgard sounded a very special place.

After they had finished eating Tom excused himself and went to bed. After and hour or so when Steve thought Tom was asleep he crept down to the cages in the cellar and to Wendy.

She growled and snapped at the cage as he approached.

"Now, now my pretty. I know you can understand what I am saying. If you want your friend to stay safe you will calm down and do exactly as I say."

Wendy stopped growling and stared at Steve.

"Good, I knew you could understand me. You thought your friend would have left without you, well he hasn't... Not yet but he will, but until that time. He is upstairs and who knows what might happen to him should you choose to misbehave."

Wendy glared at Steve though the bars of the cage, but remained quiet.

"Excellent we have reached an understanding." smiled Steve, tapping the side of the cage.

"There are plans for your friend." 

Steve turned and walked away from Wendy's cage but kept talking.Wendy watched him intently. Her eyes never left him.

"Yes there are plans for your friend. He cannot succeed in the task he has been set. There is one who does not like to lose, and so your friend cannot be allowed to win the game. He must be delayed and I have succeeded in doing that today. Maybe even tomorrow."

He turned and looked back at Wendy, smiling.

"Unfortunately if he has you with him, he has help, and that cannot be allowed to happen. That's why you are here with me now"

Wendy narrowed her eyes and let out a low quiet growl.

"Ah, ah, ah...tsk...tsk...that's being naughty." Steve waggled his index finger at Wendy. The smile disappearing from his face.

Wendy stopped growling and let out a quiet whimper.

"That's better."

Steve fetched something from a nearby bag and dropped it into a small compartment in Wendy's cage.

"There now can't have you going hungry can we. You'll be fine my pretty. You just have to stay with me."

With that he turned and headed back up the cellar steps, turning the light off as he stepped back into the living area upstairs.

Wendy sat alone in the darkness. She didn't feel hungry. She felt angry. Very angry. She needed to get to Tom, to warn him. He needed her help. She fluttered around her cage, feeling with her whiskers for any way out. She had done several circuits of the cage, when she stopped and grumbled to herself. There was no way out. She knew she did not like this Steve. He had proved her instincts right. Who wanted Tom to fail? She could think of only one person. The man in leather with the long dark hair. He was the one who had set Tom the challenge. He would be the only one wanting Tom to fail. Wendy growled quietly to herself. She would find a way out of the cage and get back to Tom...