Sequel: Wendy's Tale

Thomas' Adventures in Hiddlesgard

The Pod

Bill drew back the door curtain of his pod and poked his head outside and grinned broadly at Tom. He was feeling very excited and happy to have found Tom.

"Come on then! In you come there's tons of room!"

Tom bent down and entered the pod. There were cushions strewn everywhere across the floor. There were larger ones banked up against the back of the pod. Very comforable, thought Tom. Swags of fabric were draped across poles, which he could see kept the pod upright. It was an amazing construction.

"This is amazing!" exclaimed Tom looking at Bill's face. Bill beamed with excitement.

"Wow! Thank you! I just love it here." 

"Please, sit down. I packed sandwiches, you are more than welcome to share."

Tom suddenly remembered he also had food given to him from Steve. He fetched it out of the small backpack Steve had given him.

"Here why don't we share this too" he smiled.

"Wow! This is excellent!" beamed Bill. "Just like an adventure!"

For the next hour they chatted and ate. Bill telling Tom tales of his time spent in Africa and how he loved helping people.

Tom was mid way through his second sandwich when Bill spoke up again.

"Tom? If you don't think me rude, but why are you here?"

"You know I have no idea" replied Tom shaking his head and taking another bite of his sandwich. 

"There's a man...I have no idea who his is but he does give me the creeps. He says I'm part of some game of his. Only he seems to be the only only having fun so far. The only goal it seems is for me to find out who I am. Sometimes things seem so familiar here. Like you for instance."

Bill sat up straight suddenly, a puzzled look on his face.

"But we haven't met each other before" Bill said looking surprised

Tom continued. "This may sound very weird, but I feel I know you. You seem so familiar to me, but it's locked away up here." He tapped his forehead. "I wish i could find the key to unlock it."

"Well then maybe..." said Bill "We could go on an adventure together." He bounced to his feet, all excited. "I love adventures!"

Tom had to smile, the boy was just so enthusiastic and keen. He had such a zest for life, it was infectious.

"I had better head off again soon" he said. "I don't have long."

"Where will you go?" said Bill

"I'm drawn to Hiddlesville, that's the capital isn't it?"

"Yes" said bill excitedly. "And... there is the ministry of information there. I'm sure they'll be able to help you!"

"It'll only take a day or so's travel to get there. I can take you. There's plenty of time."

Bill flopped down on some cushions next to Tom and carried on eating. He smiled at Tom as he ate. He did remind Tom of an excitable puppy. Young, keen to please and very happy.

Suddenly there was movement outside of the pod. They both stopped eating and looked towards the door curtain.

"William Hazeldine I know you are in there come out this instant!" A woman's voice shouted.

The smile dropped from Bill's face, a look of panic replaced the smile.

"Mum!" He exclaimed

"Mum...mum...sorry I can explain." He scrambled to his feet and left the pod.

Tom couldn't hear much of the conversation, but he guessed Bill was in trouble. He tried to think when it would be an appropriate moment to get up and go outside. When their voices had calmed he seized the moment.

He drew back the door curtain and tentatively stepped outside and noticed Bill standing forlornly next to a short dark-haired woman. She scowled at Tom, her arms folded,tapping her right foot.

"Ah..." said Tom a bit flustered. "Mrs Hazeldine, very nice to meet you" He reached out a hand in greeting. The greeting was not returned.

"Bill tells me that you two were planning some grand adventure to Hiddlesville!" Her bright green eyes flashed at Tom, holding him in her gaze.

Tom was flummoxed. He wasn't sure quite how to answer. A mother was someone you didn't readily want to cross swords with. 

He ran his hand through his hair and tried to be the most charming he could be. He cleared his throat.

"Mrs Hazeldine, I was very grateful of Bill's offer of assistance in helping me get to Hiddlesville. He was only trying to help. Please don't be too hard on him." 

He looked at Bill, whose head was looking at the floor. He looked deflated, not the same boy from earlier. Tom felt sad for him. The atmosphere around where they stood felt different too. There was a chill in the air and the sun didn't seem to be as bright as it was.

"Well he's not going and I have told him that!" She shot back at Tom. 

"It's not safe beyond the borders of Hazeldine Land. Bill knows that. I don't know what even made him consider going off on such a trip."

She turned to Bill. "Now say goodbye to your friend and head home. I shall meet you there later. I wish to have a few words with your friend" She turned and looked directly at Tom. He swallowed hard.

Bill looked up at Tom and gave a weak smile and a tiny wave of the hand as a goodbye. The smile then disappear from his lips and he turned and walked slowly down the path away from the pod.

When he had disappeared from view Mrs Hazeldine walked slowly towards Tom. She said nothing but her green eyes burned deep into him. He took a few steps backwards, until he was backed up against a tree.

"Still persevering I see" she said sneering at Tom. 

"Not giving up? What will it take for you to give up? Why despite my best efforts do you still stay positive. First the moustache appears to help you now the boy, what power do you hold over them?"

She was now leaning onto his chest. Her eyes burning bright green.

"You have no power, you are from Midgard. Migardians have no powers!" Her face moved closer to his. He tried to lean back, his head hitting the trunk of the tree. He tried the move but she held him there with her gaze. He squirmed uneasily against the tree trying to work his way free.

"Oh you can't escape me that easily" she purred. 

"How will you know how to find your way now, with the boy gone? Such a shame. Such a lovely lad. Time is running out, and what have you achieved?"

Tom looked her in the eyes. "I have a name now! The rest will come back to me too!" he said defiantly.

She chuckled and ran a finger through his hair. "It's only a name, nothing more. You are more than just a name and I believe at present you still do not know who you are." Tom could feel her breath on his cheek. It was warm and unpleasant.

She stepped away, smirking at him.  

"All you have is a name nothing more." She said backing away again. 

"And you are alone...all alone. No friendly faces now. Which way do you turn Thomas? Which way will you go?" 

She continued walking backwards. She stood by the edge of the trees smirking at him. Thomas blinked and rubbed his eyes. Now before him stood Loki. He was chuckling.  He continued chuckling as he turned and disappeared into the shadows.

Tom was alone. He stood by the tree for a few moments, trying to understand what just happened. He was confused again. He didn't understand. That man was right. He was alone. If every time be began to make progress he would be knocked back was there any point trying again? He shivered. It must be nearly midday in what he assumed was summer, it was freezing. He clamped his arms around his body trying to hold in any warmth he still had. He looked up at the sky. Cloud had began to cover the sun. He felt cold.

What could he possibly do next? Follow the path? But is it going in right direction? In this forest he could end up going in circles! He slid slowly down the tree trunk and sat at its base. He felt tired. 

No! he thought, I have to stay positive. I have to keep going. Alone if need be but i have to move...but he felt so cold. Couldn't he just rest here? Just for a short while. He could get going in a few minutes. He shivered again. Why was it so cold? He cupped his head in his hands. He just needed to rest. The sky grew darker...