Sequel: Wendy's Tale

Thomas' Adventures in Hiddlesgard

Escape

Wendy watched Steve intently through the bars of the
cage. Her eyes never left him. He had been down in the cellar for at least a couple of hours now, pottering about. He was in a fowl mood about something and he was muttering to himself. Wendy smiled amused at his annoyance. From what she could overhear the man with the long black hair and visited the hut and must have had words with Steve. Steve clattered and banged about muttering under his breath.

"Keep him occupied" he said "Easier said than done." he said mockingly.

"I tried. I really did try, I couldn't force him to. I am not going to deliberately hurt anyone am I? I don't do hurting people."

He took hold of a metal lid and then threw it clattering into the corner.

"Arrrrgh!" He shouted to himself. 

"Is there a problem?"

Steve whirled around with a start and came face to face with Loki.

"I...I...." He stammered.

"It matters not." replied Loki, waving a dismissive hand towards Steve.

"He sits now in the forest, his hope disappearing and his despair growing." Loki smiled to himself. He knew if he could try perhaps one more time he could break the spirit of the Midgardian. Then he would be his and Loki would win and he could have a new toy to play with.

Wendy listened, her anger growing. How dare this man treat her Tom like that. He was a good man, she knew that. How dare he hurt Tom. She growled very quietly hardly making a sound, grinding her teeth on the floor of the cage.

Loki turned and looked at the cage.

"And how has our little friend been behaving? Well I hope."

He walked slowly towards Wendy's cage, smirking at her. Wendy kept quiet but glared at him.

Steve walked quickly ahead of Loki and stood in front of the cage.

"She...she's been fine. A little grumpy but she is contained and can't cause anymore problems."

Loki bent down and looked into the cage directly at Wendy.

"Excellent" he purred. "See to it is stays that way. It will not be much longer until the Midgardian will fall. I need no more distractions." He tapped Wendy's cage. She glared at him.

Loki stood up and turned to look at Steve.

"You have served me well so far, there have been silly errors on your part but I am winning the game and I am feeling merciful. Make sure there are no more and you will be rewarded."

Steve lowered his head to bow. When he looked up,again Loki had gone.

He breathed a sigh of relief and walked over to Wendy.

"Ok my pretty, time for dinner...yes?" his voice jittery and nervous.

"Yes...time for some food." He reached over to the food bag and took a handful of food and dropped it into Wendy's cage.

She watched him closely. He was afraid. Afraid of the man. He had kept Wendy here because he had been told to. Wendy still did not trust him so kept her distance and waited.

Steve smiled weakly at Wendy then turned and returned to clearing up in the corner.

Wendy sat thinking. A smile crossed her whiskers. Steve was pre-occupied, not thinking straight, this would be her chance.

She started flapping around her cage making little distressed noises, she made herself bounce off the side of the cage, her cries becoming more pitiful.

Steve whirled around distressed by the noises coming from Wendy's cage. He rushed over a concerned look on his face. Yes he had to keep Wendy prisoner but he didn't want any harm to come to her. Now she was hurting and he didn't know what to do.

Wendy made one final flap and screech and fell to the floor of her cage, not moving.

"No!" Cried Steve, unlocking the top of the cage and flinging back the lid. Wendy saw her chance and rushed at Steve with all her strength, knocking him backwards on to the floor. He lay there stunned gazing back at her as she fluttered above his head. She glared and growled at him. She would have fought with him there are then but she was free now and need to find Tom.

The door of the cellar was open still, so she flew up the steps and through the hut out into the air outside. No sooner was she outside then she stopped and hovered. Some thing was different. Something was very wrong. The sun had gone, the air chill. Wendy suddenly felt very afraid. Was she too late?

She flapped the whiskers sniffing the air. Yes, she was sure. She could make out the faintest scent she recognised. It was Tom he was in the forest still as Loki had said. Quite a distance away but he was still Tom still holding on to hope but he was getting weaker, she had to get to him fast. She sniffed deeply twice and then flew north towards the edges of the forest.

Tom fought to keep his eyes open. He was shivering. He was so cold. He just wanted to close his eyes and rest,just rest. He was so tired. His lids felt heavy, yet something screamed inside his head to stay awake. He jerked is head back and tried to ope his eyes wider. The sun had now completely disappeared behind clouds. Thick, grey clouds tinged with yellow. Snow clouds thought Tom. They look just like snow clouds. He smiled weakly and nodded his head loosely. Snow, he liked snow. His head felt quite woozy now. Snow was nice. His eyelids began to drop once more and his head rolled forward. 

Just then he felt something wet touch his cheek. It was just enough to wake him again. He looked up and smiled. It was beginning to snow. He couldn't feel his legs now, they were numb with cold. Sleep, he thought, just for a moment. His eyesight began to blur and his eyes finally closed.

Sudden something was screeching at him and flapping in his face.

"Whaaaa?" Tom mumbled. "Nooooo...I..."

Again the creature flew at him, screeching. This time he felt something bite his fingers.

Tom mumbled incoherently. The creature attacked a third time. Tom's eyes opened wide and he tried to focus on his attacker. It was small and furry and seemed very angry. His eyes focused fully now on the creature. It was a moustache.

"W...Wen...Wendy?" Tom mumbled confused.

The moustache stopped attacking and fluttered around his head making concerned noises.

"Wen...dy..." Tom said starting to smile.

"It is you isn't it?" He felt more awake now, the drowsiness leaving him.

"Wendy. Oh I'm so happy to see you" he smiled weakly. 

Wendy fluttered and chirped around his head excitedly. She was so happy to see Tom. She flew down onto his chest and chattered noisily at his smiling face. Her whiskers stroking his cheeks. She started to purr. She closed her eyes and leant onto his cheek. Tom weakly lifted a hand up to her and stroked her. She purred louder, nuzzling closer to his cheek.

Tom felt his strength returning and the feeling returned to his legs. It had stopped snowing and even the clouds looked brighter. Wendy had started to tickle his neck and Tom started to laugh. He smile grew wide and he felt something warm glow close to his heart. He felt strong enough to try and get to his feet. He leant against the trunk of the tree and pushed himself up. He let his legs take his full weight and took a step forward. He stumbled slightly and Wendy fluttered around his head chirping, looking concerned.

Tom waved his hand at her "It's ok darling, I'm ok, just need to take it slow"

He stood up straight and smiled. The sun had broken through the clouds again and a shaft of light had fallen on his cheek. It felt warm and he felt good. Wendy fluttered lightly around Tom then settled on his shoulder and nuzzled close to his neck.

They were back together. Tom couldn't be happier and neither could Wendy. Just then a harsh sharp icy blast of wind swept through the forest and along the path towards Tom and Wendy. Tom held tight to Wendy as it rushed past them. He was sure he could pick out a voice...well it sounded more like a screech. It was angry and annoyed. Tom couldn't make out any words but he had a feeling he knew who it may have belonged to, and he knew he and Wendy would need to stay very close together and look out for each other more than ever. Tom was not sure how much time had been lost, but they had to move on. There would be time for rest later. With Wendy back with him they could make good progress. He would not allow his opponent to win. He could beat him. Bill had told him about the Ministry of Information in Hiddlesville. He would head there. Wendy knew the way...