Case Open, Case Shut

Chapter one

As soon as my phone rang in the middle of the night, I let out a very unattractive gurgle. In fact, almost instinctively, the gurgle came before I woke up. I heard it in my sleep.

I cleared my throat before answering the phone next to my bed, hoping to make my voice sound audible, and not like I just woke up. But then I checked the nightstand – 3:04AM. I didn’t owe these assholes anything. Unless…

“Miss Bell, I apologise for interrupting your sleep at this late hour. However we just received a call from a potential client who wishes to use our services, and I believe this case should go to you.” I heard my boss, Steve Hollis inform me.

I immediately sat up, shaking myself from any fatigue. I was finally getting another case, this was good!

“Of course Mr Hollis. I could be down at the precinct within forty-five minutes. Would that be suitable?” I asked my boss, clearing my throat to sound as professional as possible.

“Wow, you’re fast. That will be fine Miss Bell; I’ll fax you through the documentation we have now to the fax machine that we gave you upon your promotion. Good luck.” My boss said upon hanging up.

I took no time in racing to my kitchen and putting the kettle on. Even though this was the city that never sleeps, the only place serving coffee on the way from here to the police station would be convenient stores. Instant coffee isn’t great, but it’s still better than the dirt they serve up at convenient stores.

Whilst the kettle was boiling I ran to my closet and pulled out my emergency suit.

After working a year at the small legal firm I’m currently employed at, I recently got promoted from assistant criminal defence lawyer to an actual defence lawyer. I’d only been given one case before because it was an easy one, and all I had to do was negotiate an appropriate plea bargain. A few cases had come up since, but my boss and the managers believed they were too hard for a newcomer.

So I had been on call until now, and had an emergency suit ready for all times at home should I not be at the office when I received a call. It was cleaned and ironed, and I took no time in throwing on the skirt, business shirt, suit and panty hose.

I sprayed on some deodorant and perfume under my suit, and made my way into the bathroom.

I didn’t have enough time to make my hair look presentable down, so I grabbed the closest clip I could find and pinned my hair up. I left my bangs down on my face. I reached for my make-up bag and applied enough make-up to accentuate my features but to look natural and fresh.

I felt a little silly going all out at 3:30AM just to attend a police interview. But I needed to look as professional as possible, and whilst I’m sure the fun of dressing up would quickly wear out, I wanted to milk it for all it was worth.

I quickly poured my coffee into my flask, grabbed the papers from the fax machine provided to be from my work and flew out my apartment to go to my car.

***

I only had time to quickly flick through the few sheets of paper that were sent to me as I approached the station. I asked for my client, and the cop on watch house made me sign in and led me through a few hallways until we reached the door to a room.

“This is where the interview is being conducted.” The officer said to me, and I smiled brightly and thanked him as I entered the room.

I tried to hide my nerves as I watched the scene carefully. I had been in these interviews before as an assistant defence lawyer, but I had never done it solo. I was quite nervous.

In front of me was a boy, who was barely eighteen. The body of his ex girlfriend had turned up after a few days of being missing, and he was apparently the last to have seen her alive, with a few witnesses saying they were arguing about something.

I then turned my attention onto the two detectives in the interview room who were both studying me intensely.

One was sitting next to my client, who was substantially older than the other one. He had hair that was beyond ‘greying’ and a few wrinkles etched onto his face. He had on a blue coloured suit, and had his hands entwined on the table in front of him.

The other one was a lot more intimidating. He was probably just over five years older than me. He had black hair that was a few inches short of being considered shaggy, but was not neat in any way. To match his dark demeanour he had dark green eyes, and was wearing a dark suit with a red plaid tie. He was definitely more hostile than the other one, as he was standing in the corner with his arms crossed, shooting me a dark look.

“Good evening, or should I say good morning officers. My name is Audrey Bell and I’ll be representing Peter Bristol. It’s nice to meet you.” I said, taking the seat next to my client and offering my hand to the older detective.

He took it, although he definitely took it begrudgingly as he had a sour look on his face and dropped my hand as soon as he could.

Before I could even turn my attention to the younger detective, he quickly took a seat next to me.

“Don’t even think about it. Now that you’re finally here, let’s just get this interview underway.” He sighed loudly, and I felt the nerves in my stomach rising again.

It was no secret that cops and lawyers weren’t on the friendliest terms, so I swallowed the lump in my throat and began the interview with my client.

***

“Is there enough for an arrest or is my client free to go?” I asked the two detectives, after the interview was clearly over.

“I wouldn’t call it free, but your client is allowed to leave for the time being.” The older detective, detective Briscoe stated.

“Alright. Well we’re going to be as accommodating as possible to your investigation in order to prove Peter’s innocence. If you need anything, just call me. If I can’t be a first point of contact, please at least contact me after Peter.” I said to the detectives, handing Briscoe my business card, as I knew he was more likely to take my request seriously.

“We don’t have to do anything.” The younger detective, Detective Logan stated to me.

I took a deep breath, and contemplated whether I should stop being polite to them or not. Lawyers and cops are mortal enemies, but I have no problem with police and understand their frustrations with lawyers. I was trying to remain polite throughout the interview to keep things amicable. Briscoe noticed and although he kept a guard up he was less hostile towards me, but my pleasantness seemed to annoy Logan, and made him even ruder to me.

“I know you don’t. You have procedures to follow, and I completely understand. I’m just requesting that I be contacted when needed so we can get things under wrap a lot more efficiently.” I said to Logan, dropping my pleasant expression to use a firmer tone.

“Thank you Miss Bell, that will be all for today.” Briscoe said to me quickly before Logan could make a rebuttal, opening up the door to the interview room, and I shook his hand and went to step out.

I took one last look at the two detectives, and noticed Logan glaring at me. I sent him a nasty look back, finally losing my patience with him.
♠ ♠ ♠
This story is an experiment. There's obviously not a large Law and Order following on here. I don't really expect anyone to read this as the original series is probably the least popular now (Everyone seems to write about CI & SVU) especially very early on in the show. I'm more writing for myself but if you like it please comment to ensure this story's future :D