Status: Active

Unexpected Events.

Chapter One- Another New Start.

Alyssa stood in front of her dresser, tying her hair up in a high bun. Wrapping the elastic around her hair, she smiled at herself. It was a fake one of course but she had to learn how to make herself look happy- look normal. It was her last year at high school and she was determined that this would be the last time she moved. She tugged on the sleeves of her blue woollen sweater as she took one last look at herself. Her make up was done, nothing too heavy- just some soft foundation, mascara and eyeliner. Her long brunette locks were in a bun at the top of her head. She wasn't wearing anything too flashy, just a sweater, some black skinny jeans and a pair of green converse. She inhaled as she nodded at her reflection.

She had moved into a small flat, her twenty year old brother, Seth, had the biggest bedroom of course. It was two hundred dollars a week, that wasn't that much with her brother's occupation of selling illicit drugs.

Alyssa walked out into the conjoined loungeroom and kitchen, her upper lip twitch as she seen two of Seth's 'friends' passed out on the floor. Seth had left halfway through the night to get pick up some more drugs from another state and obviously thought he could trust these two. She sighed, stepping over the bodies. She grasped the locket that hung around her neck as she unlocked the door. It was her grandmothers. Her mother had given Seth and herself over to her grandmother not even a month after Alyssa was born. Her grandma never went into much about their mother and father, all she knew was that her mother had ran away to be with some bikie and no one knew if she was alive or dead and her father was a part of some gang and got himself incarcerated for life after gunning down a mother and her son. Alyssa didn't care much about those two though, she only cared about her grandmother and Seth.

Seth and Alyssa's grandmother disappeared four years ago, right after Seth had gotten in with the wrong crowd and began dealing and doing drugs. It wasn't so bad then, just some pot and ectasy but now it was everything. Alyssa tried so hard to keep him straight but it normally it just ended in a fight. Alyssa and Seth searched for their grandmother for a year but the chances she was alive were slim. They had already held a memorial service after the police found a lot of their grandmother's blood and her clothes that she was wearing when she disappeared.

Alyssa didn't really know why Seth kept insisting they moved- she just assumed it was because of the people Seth hung out with. Even though they did move around a lot, ever since Alyssa was fourteen and Seth was sixteen, Alyssa was always determined to stay and finish school no matter where she was.

Alyssa stepped onto the bus, taking the closest empty seat. She slid the earphones of the iPod Seth had stolen for her when she was fifteen into her ears and started to listen to The Rolling Stones. It was only a fifteen minute walk to her new school, if she recalled correctly but this morning she just couldn't be bothered.

Hearing the bus come to a screech, she looked out the window. There it was: another new school. Alyssa stood up and made her way to the student office. She hoped that they wouldn't assign someone to show her around but of course they would- they always would. She tapped on the window, trying to get the receptionists' attention.
"Yes?" The elderly woman snarled. "Uh, I'm Alyssa Jenkins. I'm starting today?" Alyssa mumbled, tugging on her sleeves again. She tended to do that when she was nervous. The receptionist nodded, passing Alyssa her schedule. "Carly is the girl who will be showing you around," the receptionist pointed in the direction of the black haired girl who just walked into the office.

"Hi," she chirped. "I'm Carly". Alyssa nodded, walking up to the girl. "I'm Alyssa," she said, wondering how many times she would have to introduce herself today. Carly took the schedule out of Alyssa's hands, examining it carefully. "So you have Modern History first, it's room 207, follow me". Carly hurried off, her black her swaying as she moved. It only just touched her shoulders and was dead straight. Alyssa started to consider cutting her hair that short, she tended to do that when she met new people. Imagine herself with their hair length or colour. Alyssa had never had hair shorter then under her ribcage, which is where it laid now when she wore it out.

Carly made small conversation as she escorted Alyssa to her class room. She stood outside the door, flashing a smile at Alyssa. "You have AP English next, which is just three doors down. I'll meet you outside when lunch starts, you can sit with me and my friends". Carly handed Alyssa her schedule back, departing with a rushed good luck. Alyssa sighed as she opened the door. The class was almost full, Alyssa assumed class was scheduled to start in a minute or two. She showed the teacher her schedule and sat down in the closest seat once the teacher nodded.

"Alright guys," the middle aged man started, getting everyone to settle down. "It's your senior year this year, which to most of you means getting drunk and all that teenage fun," the class laughed, "But you still need to all do some hard work. We also have a new student in our class, Alyssa Jenkins." The teacher motioned to Alyssa and she smiled meekly. "I'm Don, but if any other teachers come in, call me Mr Harmon". He rambled on a bit more before instructing the students to write some notes down, in his words the students could speak and move around as they pleased as long as they got the work down or at least pretended to. Alyssa hoped all the teachers would be this leniant but she doubted it.

She shoved an earphone in again after thirty odd minutes of considering, pressing play. She nodded her head along to The Ramones, taking the notes down before she noticed two people pull a chair up next to her desk. "So you're the fresh meat this year?" A blonde boy joked, nudging his friend. The other one had more of smug look, his dark curly locks framing his face. "I'm Jon and thats Sam," the dark haired one grinned. "Alyssa," she commented, removing the earphone so she could pay more attention. "So where you from Alyssa?" Sam questioned, his white teeth flashing as he grinned. "No where in particular," she shrugged.

"Ooh mysterious," Jon winked. He grabbed Alyssa's notebook and pen, writing down an address and a phone number. He looked up at the clock. "I'm presuming you're not a shop girl, so I don't think we'll be seeing eachother next period. Sam's throwing a party tonight, you should come". Both the boys stood up and walked away, leaving Alyssa dumbfounded as she heard the bell ring loudly. She picked her notebook up, walking out of the class room.

She found her way to her english class easily enough, choosing to sit in the back this time. The class was already starting to study Shakespeare's Hamlet in depth and the English teacher told the class that they would all have to join the Drama class's performance in six weeks. Lucky for Alyssa, she had chosen to study Drama as well. No one really paid much attention to her in that class, everyone was just focused on their work. She liked that, almost as much and being in a bludge class.

Just as Carly had promised, she was waiting outside Alyssa's classroom. "Having fun yet?" Carly questioned, showing Alyssa which way to walk. "Well I've been invited to a party?" Alyssa laughed. "Oh cool, Sam's?" Carly presumed. "I'll pick you up". Carly sat down at a full table, patting the space next to her. Carly introduced her to everyone as 'Lyssa'. Everyone was warm and welcoming, Alyssa found it quite odd. She found it even weirder that she had somehow ended up with the popular group. The rest of the day went quickly, people conversing with her in each class.

Alyssa unlocked the small flat's door, peeking inside. "Seth? I'm home..." She yelled, opening the door even more. A group of people sat in the lounge room, one holding a crack pipe. she groaned, furrowing her brow. "Where's my brother?" She questioned, hoping that he hadn't gone AWOL and left a group of people she didn't know that were all drugged up in their home. "In his room babe," one of the older looking guys said, looking Alyssa up and down. She rolled her eyes and made his way into Seth's room.

"Who the fuck are all those people?" She exclaimed, slamming the door behind her. "This is my fucking house too y'know!?" Seth looked up at Alyssa, his eyes bloodshot. He laughed, "Chill Liss," He got up off his bed and stumbled a bit. "They're just money and they needed a place to smoke. They'll be gone in five," he smiled, patting his younger sister on the head. "Also, before you assume I've overdosed or some bullshit like that, I'm only stoned". Alyssa grumbled under her breath, biting her tongue. She didn't want to cause a fight. "Well, I'm going out tonight. Can you make sure no drop kicks are staying? Please?" Seth nodded.

"Oh and do we still have that vodka? Or did you drink it?"