Flowers for Anna

The First Rose

It’s so cliché; believe me, I know. It’s been done so many times in movies and television shows, which I can attest to because Anna’s made me watch them all with her many, many times before.

And yet it still threw me for a loop when I realized I was in love with my best friend.

There’s really no one reason why I love Anna. In fact, I’m pretty sure I love every single thing about her.

I know she has a boyfriend, and truthfully, Dan is not a bad guy… He’s just not the right guy, at least for her.

And so I have decided to give her a single pink rose every day, telling her one thing I love about her. I just got back from the flower shop on the corner and finished writing the first note: I love your smile, especially when you see something that you didn’t expect. Maybe you’re smiling like that right now, reading this. –xo

I’m going to walk over to her locker and place it in one of the slots. It’s after school (Anna has softball practice and doesn’t go back to her locker until after practice finishes) so no one is around to see me.

Here goes nothing!

-----

I am sweaty and excited as I race to my locker after softball practice. I am rushing, since I only have an hour to get my stuff from my locker, drive home, take a shower, and get ready for my date with Dan. It’s our six-month anniversary and he’s taking me to the fanciest restaurant in town.

I am in such a hurry that I almost don’t see the object flying out of my locker. I squint my eyes, confused, and reach down to grab a single pink rose off of the ground. There is a small paper note attached with white ribbon, and I turn it around so I am able to read it. I love your smile, especially when you see something that you didn’t expect. Maybe you’re smiling like that right now, reading this. –xo I read it again, and then again, just to make sure I read it correctly. Then I smile. Dan is so thoughtful, I think to myself, and I get even more excited for my date with him tonight. I quickly remember the strict timeline I am on and rush to gather the rest of my stuff, run to my car, and drive home.

I can’t wait for tonight!

-----

“Anna… I didn’t give that to you.” Anna gives me a weird look, and suddenly the mood of the dinner changes. It had been going great so far; we’d ordered the priciest steak and were having very pleasant conversation. The atmosphere was romantic; the lights were dimmed and there were candles. But now Anna was asking me about some rose and some kind of note, and we were both very confused.

“Well then who sent it?” Anna asks me.

I shrug. “Beats me.” I pause, and then smirk. I lean in close to Anna. “Hey Anna,” I whisper. “It looks like you have a secret admirer.”

Anna stares at me for a second, and then laughs. “Well,” she replies, “even if I do, you know the only man for me is you.” She leans across the table to give me a brief kiss, and suddenly the rose and note are forgotten, and all that matters is us.

“To six wonderful months!” I raise my glass, and Anna raises hers, clinking it with mine. We share a smile and take a sip at the same time.

Life is good.
♠ ♠ ♠
1. It took me twice as long as it should have to write this, because I hardly ever write in first person.

2. Don't expect updates any time soon. I am just.... God I am horrible at updating, haha! It's not funny, but then it kind of is... yeah.