Status: Complete

Islands

Scared

December 2, 2010 Capitals 1 @ Stars 2
December 4, 2010 Thrashers 3 @ Capitals 1
December 6, 2010 Leafs 5 @ Capitals 4 (SO)
December 9, 2010 Panthers 3 @ Capitals 0
December 11, 2010 Avalanche 3 @ Capitals 2
December 12, 2010 Capitals 0 @ Rangers 7
December 15, 2010 Ducks 2 @ Capitals 1(OT)
December 18, 2010 Capitals 2 @ Bruins 3
December 19, 2010 Capitals 3 @ Senators 2
December 21, 2010 Devils 1 @ Capitals 5
December 23, 2010 Penguins 3 @ Capitals 2 (SO)
December 26, 2010 Capitals 3 @ Hurricanes 2
December 28, 2010 Canadiens 0 @ Capitals 3

_____

Mike’s request was unnecessary. Originally, the start time of the Winter Classic was slated for 1 PM. A group of us were supposed to go for an early dinner and then head to bed a few hours after that. A few hours after the Capitals held practice at Heinz Field, the league commissioner announced that the game would be moved to 8 PM. It meant that we could go out for a normal dinner, ring in the New Year privately at midnight, and the players on both teams could go about with their regular routines the night before and day of the game. I’d never had sex with Nicky the night before a game, so Mike had nothing to worry about.

We were going out for dinner with Stoffe, his and Nicky’s friends, Mike and his friends, Marcus Johansson and his girlfriend, and Jay Beagle. Most of the places open in Pittsburgh on New Year’s Eve were bars and clubs downtown; restaurants were closing early for the night. But the guys found a nice little steakhouse in the North Shore that was staying open until 10.

After the friends and family skate, Nicky and I separated for a few hours. There was still more media once the team got back to the locker room, followed by a special teams meeting. I did a light cardio workout in the hotel’s fitness room and took my second shower of the day, not wanting to smell like anything but guava shampoo before dinner. I even had the time to take a nap before I got ready. I thought it best to let Nicky have some time with his friends since we’d spent the entire night together the day before. I was attached, but there was no need to smother him.

The bathroom turned into a disaster zone as I got ready—facial moisturizer, the curling iron, makeup, and my packet of birth control pills all lazily strewn on the counter. I would have been upset if I ever walked into one of the bathrooms on my residence hall floor and saw the same mess on one of the sink top counters outside the shower stalls. But it was my own mess and I was kinda sorta on vacation in Pittsburgh for two more nights.

I curled my long brown hair and gave myself smoky eyes. It wasn’t even for Nicky, or anyone, for that matter. Mike’s friend Lindsay said she was going to go all out for dinner and asked if I would join her. I’d brought a little black dress and a push up bra along with my heels but didn’t know if the weather in the Steel City was going to permit me to wear any of them. The temperature was just right, in the mid 50’s, so I was glad I’d brought my New Year’s party outfit and that Lindsay suggested dressing up.

Nicky gave me a once over when I opened the door for him and then he stared for a few seconds. When our sightlines met, he flashed me his teeth before he spoke, “You look incredible.”

I blushed under his gaze and replied once he embraced me, “Thanks. You look good, too.”

He always looked good though, with his European flair. Nicky’s jeans were black, the same color as his leather jacket. Underneath he wore a cardigan over an eggplant-colored polo shirt. His hair was neatly parted off to the side and slicked back.

We shared a van-style cab with Marcus Johansson, Jojo, and his girlfriend on the way to the restaurant. I was the only non-Swede in the vehicle, but they all talked in English, keeping me from feeling out of place.

At the restaurant, we were such a big group that there were a few different conversations going on at dinner. I sat between Sofia—Jojo’s girlfriend—and Nicky. On Nicky’s other side was Mike and directly across from us were Mike’s friends, Jeff and Lindsay. The topic of our conversation revolved mostly on Jeff and Lindsay, who’d just gotten engaged a few hours earlier on the Winter Classic ice. They’d even done an interview for NHL Network and since the initial shock had worn off, Lindsay said she was embarrassed that she’d been so frazzled during the whole thing.

Jeff and Mike had known each other since childhood and had gone to school together until Mike went to play major junior in Saskatoon. It also turned out that Jeff was a huge Pittsburgh Penguins fan.

“So, wait,” I said. “Does that mean you’re going to wear Pens stuff tomorrow night?”

Nicky chuckled beside me and Lindsay spoke, “I told him that it might get really awkward if he did.”

“I’m actually going to be decked out in Greenie gear tomorrow. Like, straight up fangirl,” Jeff responded. “I definitely owe Mike one. Today was so special. And it was unique. I’m never, ever gonna forget today. Until we get married, this has been the best day of my life.”

By the time Jeff had finished his thought, he was looking at Lindsay. Their noses touched and they shared a quick kiss. Lindsay grinned at me soon after and I gave her a knowing look. They were in love and it was adorable. If I was her best friend and not just someone she’d met earlier in the day, I bet that we would have spent time giggling and gushing over her new engagement.

Nicky nudged me with his shoulder, “So, you got good company.”

I met his gaze and raised an eyebrow. “What do you mean?”

“You guys gonna cheer on the Caps without being Caps fans.”

“Oh.” I clicked my tongue and looked up to three sets of eyes on me, waiting for an explanation. “I like the Colorado Avalanche.”

“Wait, what?” Mike chimed in, leaning over the table to look at me. “Didn’t you two meet at a Caps event?”

“We did,” I confirmed. “I was there that day for my nephew. But I’m from Denver.”

“Do any of you like our team even a little bit?” Mike wondered, cutting into his baked potato.

“I do.” Lindsay responded, but added, “Well, sort of.”

“Seriously, Erin?” Mike asked.

“Listen, I don’t have anything against the Caps and supporting them…you.” I told him, then turned to look at my boyfriend. “And I like Nicky.”

Nicky smiled at me. He was taking a large sip of water as he did it, giving him chipmunk cheeks. I almost giggled but I squeezed his arm momentarily instead before going back to my dinner.

Mike groaned. “You guys are gonna be the worst mini cheering section ever.”

Everyone laughed but Mike, even Nicky. Above all things, the Winter Classic was a spectacle. It was special to be there, even for non-hockey fans. And we were hockey fans. A lot of people who watched the NHL, myself included, had never been to an outdoor game. I was excited to walk around the stadium before the game and take in the buzz of the crowd. But the actual game itself was what I was looking forward to the most. I didn’t have to worry about anything else for that time frame, just be in Pittsburgh and at the game. It didn’t matter who my favorite team was.

The dinner party broke up about fifteen minutes before the restaurant closed, after everyone had a glass of champagne. Everyone had slightly different plans. With the game moved to primetime, the players were to have their usual morning skate the next day. They were all headed back to their hotel rooms, but the night wasn’t over for the newly engaged couple or Stoffe and the Swedes. I made sure to tell Lindsay my room number so we could meet up before the game and head to the stadium as a group the next day.

By 11:30, Nicky and I were lying in bed in my hotel room. Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve special was on the television screen with the little countdown clock in the corner. When we’d brushed our teeth and I’d scrubbed my face free of makeup, I told Nicky we really didn’t have to stay up to see the ball drop. But he insisted that he wanted to kiss me at midnight.

“Are you sad to spend your New Year’s Eve like this?” Nicky queried. “With no party?”

“No,” I shook my head against my pillow. “I’m having a great time with you.”

He moved his hand to my thigh, caressing it with his thumb, and I looked over at him. I poked him square in the chest and spoke again. “You have to stop spoiling me.”

I’d spent a measly five dollars since I got to Pittsburgh. Not that I had much money to burn as a graduating college student, but I was used to taking care of myself.

“Things will be different when you go back to school,” he replied.

“You’re right,” I responded. I considered what that meant for a moment and was more serious when I asked the next question. “Do you think we’ll be fine when the new semester starts?”

Nicky frowned. “Why not?”

His question wasn’t worded properly for a perfect response but I knew what he meant. It wasn’t like external forces were going to try and destroy our new relationship.

“When I go back to Georgetown, it won’t be like the last week we spent together, seeing each other every day. The last few days have been…too good. Your season is busy just like school and Res Life get busy,” I explained. “Maybe we won’t even see each other for a week at a time. I don’t want you to think I’m distant when I’m really just focused.”

“It’s good you tell me now.” Nicky scooted closer and cupped my cheek in the palm of his hand. “So we won’t have nothing to worry about.”

I let out a deep breath. We were facing each other in bed, in close enough quarters that we could touch each other, but with enough space that we had to reach. I hadn’t expected the last hour of the year to turn into honesty hour. But it wasn’t tense. It wasn’t difficult like that night I told him I wasn’t ready to be his girlfriend. It was heartfelt.

“Are you scared?” Nicky wondered.

“A little bit,” I admitted. “Not really about that.”

“I don’t understand.”

He moved his hand down to my shoulder, encouraging me to continue with his eyes. I reached out to him and tangled my fingers in his hair, thinking of the right way to word my response. He held my gaze in the dimly lit room. The only reason we weren’t staring was because we had to blink.

“I’m pretty confident in myself so I don’t worry about how you feel about me. I don’t worry that I’m not good enough, because I know I am.” I went on to the hard part, “I guess I just don’t understand why you like me so much when we’re so different and don’t have much in common. I worry that we won’t have much to talk about for very long.”

It didn’t freak Nicky out. He didn’t move away or look away from me. There was no moment of awkwardness. Instead he smiled at me. I thought it might even be partly a smirk. He ran his thumb down my arm and stopped at my elbow.

“You know how I know we’ll be fine?” he spoke.

“How?” I whispered.

“I worry the same thing,” he responded. “I have no idea why you like me so much…but I want you to.”

I exhaled the breath I’d been holding in. A grin broke out on my face and we shared a laugh. I closed the gap between us and Nicky pulled me against his body. Our noses touched.

“I’m not scared we will run out of things to say because we just,” he paused, “we just work, you know?”

“Yes,” I agreed quickly.

“And I think we’re supposed to be together.”

I leaned my face in toward his and placed a kiss on his chin. “I think so, too.”

He adjusted himself so that I was completely enveloped in his arms. Our faces stayed close. Nicky closed his eyes and sighed with content, and I felt his fingers trace over my spine. I gave into the feeling of that sensation, breathing him in as I placed one of my hands against his chest and rested the other on his bicep. We stayed like that.

We had a connection. We were in a relationship because we had a connection. It wasn’t just about attraction or sex. I genuinely enjoyed Nicky’s company no matter what we were talking about. We already knew each other well and we were going to keep learning.

My eyes fluttered open when I heard the countdown to midnight. I glanced at the TV as the ball dropped and everyone in Times Square celebrated. Nicky didn’t move. When I whispered his name and his only response was heavy breathing, I knew he’d fallen asleep. I tittered to myself at the irony and pressed my lips to the corner of his mouth so that he could still get his midnight kiss. He stirred for a split second but only tightened his grip on me before he was dead weight again.

There was no way for me to turn the TV off or turn out the light on the nightstand without disturbing him. So I just left both. My only choice was to snuggle into him and wait for sleep to take me. Anyway, it was a new year and we were supposed to be together.