Lucky

Realization

Molly’s POV:

“Happy birthday to you!” Everyone finishes singing. They all start laughing and go off to get food. I look toward the door, hoping to see Aaron. I don’t know why he isn’t here yet. I go to the bathroom and put more lipstick on. My red dress, red lips, and black heels. I go back out to enjoy the party.

“Hey, Mol, how’s that boyfriend of yours?” My Aunt Sally asks. I fake a smile and look at the door again.

“He’s great.”

“Where is he? I want to meet the boy your parents talk about so much.”

“Oh, he’ll be here. I’m sure he just got held up with friends. They won the championships last night.”

“Well, I hope I get to meet him soon.”

“You will.” I say and she walks off. I know he isn’t going to be here, it’s already been an hour. The Christmas lights outside turn on and the lights on our tree shine.

“Mol, he will be here.” Sydney hugs me and hands me a piece of cake. “May your wish come true.” I see Cameron standing in the corner, biting his lip. He probably wants to come rub it in my face. Around 8 I look at the door and run for the bathroom.

“Hey, what’s wrong? I’m sure he’s just late or something.” I look up to see Violet, Sydney, Zach, Michael, and right in front of me, Cameron.

“No, Cam, he isn’t just late. You heard him say he would be here.” The tears start streaming and he holds me close. “The Quiseng Hug? You’re really pulling that right now?”

“You need it.” He smiles and I try to, but my heart breaks.

“Aaron isn’t going to show up, is he?” I ask, knowing the answer.

“No, sweetie. It’s already been two hours.” Violet is close to tears, too. I start crying harder and more people come down the hall.

“Could you all go? It’s pretty clear she doesn’t want to be seen right now!” Zach shoves people out. He tries to make my parents leave, but they won’t leave their own home. They finally go to the kitchen.

“I hate this!” I say through sobs.

“Aaron meant a lot to you, didn’t he?”

“Yes, Cam, he did. He meant the world to me. I loved him and he hurt me. It feels like I’m dying. Actually, I wish I was dying. It would hurt less.”

“No, Molly, don’t ever say that again!” Cameron says with more force than I ever imagined possible.

“Give me one good reason, Cam.” He kisses me, then stands up.

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have done that.” He runs out and I am in shock.

“Cam, wait! I liked it.” He’s out the door. The others stare at me.

“I think we should go.” Zach and Michael stand up and leave.

“Sorry to say this now, but we told you so.” Violet and Sydney hug me. “Go get the real guy of your dreams.” They leave. Mom brings me the phone and it’s Aaron.

“I am so sorry I wasn’t there. I completely forgot!”

“Whatever, Aaron. I’m sorry, too, but I’ve found someone who really cares about me and he’s been here the whole time, I just didn’t know it until now.”

“Cameron?” He asks.

“Yeah, Cameron.” I hang up and head to Cameron’s house.

*************************************************
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is based off the Taylor Swift song, The Moment I Knew.