Status: ongoing

Hold Your Breath

Seasons

“Holy mother of crap I could not believe we are graduating in a few months!!” Cole exclaimed this almost every day of their senior year that Lou found it weird whenever a day passes by that she doesn’t hear this from her best friend.
Lou and Cole were both excited for college because even though they were sure that it was gonna be a whole new adventure, they would still go through it together because they got accepted into the same universities.
“Arizona State University, oh my god. I was actually hoping for a bigger university, but since we’re going together, I don’t actually mind!” Cole was talking to a very busy Louise who was looking for nice apartments near the ASU area over the internet.
“You do realize that-“ Lou was cut short by Cole’s piercing glare. They both knew that Arizona was where Jonathan is but they still haven’t got around to talking about him again. Cole quickly changed the topic and Lou resumed searching for apartments.
*****
“WE ARE FUCKING GRADUATES, COLE!” Lou was screaming at the after-graduation party held at one of their classmate’s house.
“I cannot wait to get out of Chicago!” Cole, who was equally ecstatic, replied to Lou.
“ARIZONA, HERE WE COME!!” The two girls shouted together and went on to have more fun at their last party with their high school friends.
*****
“Now, girls, are you sure you want to go to Arizona this early? School won’t start until fall and it’s summer, for crying out loud!” Cole’s mom asked the two girls when they were packing all their stuff for their move.
“Of course, mom! We have to fix some stuff in the university and it is better if we’re already familiar with the place before we even start school! Besides, we’ll be together, right, Lou?” Cole winked to Lou.
“Yeah, definitely! We’ll have so much fun there over the summer. I can’t wait!” Lou said as she closed the last box of their stuff.
*****
As the two girls were loading all their stuff into Cole’s car, their mothers were watching them by the front door of Cole’s house. They were smiling but it was evident that the two women were close to tears. Cole and Lou hugged their moms tightly and whispered words of assurance to them. They promised that they would call each time they would pass a state.
“You girls sure you’d rather drive than take a plane?” Lou’s mother’s question was still full of concern even though that was about the tenth time she asked.
“Yes, mom! Cole doesn’t want to leave her baby here. Besides, it’ll be a lot of fun! We’ll take turns driving, ma.” Lou hugged her mom one last time before hopping into the car.
They drove for so long that when they got to Arizona, they felt like they lost track of time.
“Louise, this is the apartment that you said was perfect? Are you fucking serious? My kitchen’s bigger than this!” Cole exclaimed once she entered their apartment.
“Nicolette, oh my god, do not exaggerate! This would do for us! It’s cheap and we’re only going to sleep here! It’s not like we’re spending our days indoors. We’re in Ari-fucking-zona!”
“Yeah, well, you’re right, Lou. But I still think this place is a dump.” Cole said with a laugh.
The girls spent the whole day and night unpacking and the next day, the two were ready to explore Arizona. Both were wearing tank-tops, shorts and shades. Cole and Lou spent all their time together almost since they were born; the only physical difference is their hair color. Lou was a brunette and Cole as a blonde. Their hair-colors also reflected their personalities. Cole had a brighter disposition and was more outgoing whereas Louise was a bit quieter. This never made the two fall apart, if anything, their differences only brought them closer.
“Hey, Cole, look, there’s a local gig happening tonight. We should come!” Lou was pointing light blue poster with drawing of a few balloons.
“Sure, but only if we check out the party that guy just invited me to.” Cole said, winking to the guy that was walking away. Lou just laughed, knowing it was typical of Cole to be noticed by the opposite gender.
After spending half the day just walking around the streets, the two found their way to the bar where the show was happening. They found a nice spot in the middle of the room and just as they settled, the lights dimmed. The band started walking out one by one and after the female drummer sat down behind her drum set, a familiar face took hold on the microphone and said, “Hey guys, thank you all for coming tonight. We’re Last Call For Camden and well, here we go!”
Cole’s face was unreadable. She was in a state of shock and luckily, Louise was there to shake her out of her trance. “J-j-jonathan…” Cole was stuttering and Lou pulled her to the back of the venue to sit and drink something.
The girls remained quiet for the rest of the band’s set and just as the last note was struck, Cole stood up and said, “I have to do this.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi. Comments are welcome whoop.