Status: On a Break... Searching for Inspiration

He Never Knew

Chapter 12

I fell asleep in Zak's room last night. After his mental breakdown, we stayed up late watching scary movies. We didn't talk much, but that was okay. At least we were spending time together like real brothers should.

I rolled off the bed with a loud bang. Uhm... Ow?! I must've woken Zak up because he moaned and shifted on the bed. He stretched and stood up, walking around to go see what I had done to cause such a noise. He stood over me, watching me try to untangle myself from the bed sheets. He chuckled and I started to laugh too. Realization came over us at the fact that we were both laughing together. At the same thing. Although that 'thing' was me, it was still nice.

Maybe we could be brothers after all.

For some odd reason, I started to blush and hid my face.

Zak rushed to my side and knelt down infront of me. "Miles, are you okay? Listen, I didn't mean to make you cry, you were just laughing a second ago-"

I bursted out laughing and pushed him to the floor. "I'm not crying, dummy. I'm not a little baby, like you." I giggled again and ran out of his room. He chased me all around the house until he finally gave up. I was just too fast for him.

We stood in the kitchen panting and staring each other down. Zak glared at me. I laughed again and suddenly got the urge to hug him. After what happened last night, things between Zak and I have changed. I could feel it. I don't think we will be fighting any time soon. But if we ever do, I can always use his break down to threaten him.

. . .

I'm just kidding. I would never do something like that.

I glanced at the clock and noticed we were running late. Again. "Zak, stop fooling around," I fake chastised him. "We're going to be late for school."

His smile suddenly went away and he looked scared. "Can we, like, not go?" He asked with puppy dog eyes.

I sighed. "Zak, we have to go to school. Why don't you wanna go? I mean, I know why you don't want to go but... Are you afraid or something?"

"I'm not afraid," he said with absolute confidence. "But... I have no one to talk to anymore. As you've probably noticed, everyone avoids me now."

"Well, we have the same lunch together. Why don't you sit with me?" I smiled lightly at him. Like I said, things are different between Zak and me.

He smiled back, "yeah, I could do that. But what about my other classes? Lunch is only an hour long."

I couldn't help him there. I wasn't in any of his classes, so it wasn't like I could save him.

"The best advice I could give you is to make new friends," I told him gently. There was not much else to be done for his situation. Unless he wanted to switch schools, but that was too much of a hassle for just a rumor.

He scoffed. "Like that's easy. With my reputation now, nobody would even give me a second glance."

I truly did feel bad for my brother. No one ever really shunned me out of their group before. I didn't know what he was going through.

I somehow persuaded Zak to get in the car and drive us to school. Once there, we met up with Devon, Ashley, and Nathan, my lunch buddies.

"Hey, guys." They looked at me and then to Zak. I felt my phone buzz in my pocket and I reached in to grab it. It was a text from Ashley, who was standing four feet away from me.

From: AshieBoo
wat is ur bro doing with yu? Dont u guys like hhate each other?

I shook my head while still looking at my phone. "Guys, Zak is gonna sit with us at lunch, okay?" I looked over at Zak and he seemed uncomfortable. I knew secretly Zak was a really shy person, and being around people he didn't know well meant he would be quiet.

Which I didn't have a problem with.

"Oh... Sure. That's fine." Nathan said. "Welcome to the group!" He then punched Zak lightly on the shoulder, causing him to chuckle.

~ Lunch Time ~

Zak and I walked into the cafeteria together and sat at our table. Nathan and Ashley were already there and Devon joined shortly after.

"Sorry, guys. Mr. Wagner kept me after class," Devon started to apologize.

Him and Ashley then started talking about the new Lord of the Rings movie. While they did that, Zak tugged on my shirt sleeve.

"Can we go get food now?" He asked innocently.

"I don't eat-" I was suddenly cut off by Nathan talking.

"Oh, I'll go with you, Zak. Miles doesn't eat lunch anyway." Zak looked and me and I shrugged.

"Yeah, go with Nathan. He's a strong boy, he'll protect you," I giggled and poked Nathan in his side.

He rolled his eyes at me and grabbed Zak's arm, dragging him away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy 2013! Meet some new characters to celebrate!

Thanks to:

RedRomRomance
DayDreamToReaLity
bxgurl95
Sarcastically Blunt

for commenting!

[1/1/2013]