Status: On a Break... Searching for Inspiration

He Never Knew

Chapter 2

"MILES! What the hell are you doing in my room, you little runt?!" Zak came running out of the bathroom once he heard me in his room. Damn me and my clumsiness. Why did I have to pick up that stupid picture frame? It just looked so inviting; us two as youngsters, hugging each other on a park bench. At one point in our lives, we were close. I still remember the day that all changed and I'm pretty sure Zak does too. I mean, it changed our relationships with our parents forever, how could anyone forget something like that?

I froze. I really didn't know what exactly I was doing in here. Was I looking for a fight? No. His stash of stolen cigarettes? No.

I guess, and somewhere deep in my heart I knew, I was looking for a way to get closer to him. And the only way I was going to accomplish that was going to be to secretly snoop around and look at the things in his room. I mean, he's my own brother. I should know more about him than his birthday. (October 13th, by the way.)

You might think, 'If you wanted to get closer to him, why not talk to him? Why do you have to sneak into his room?'

Let's just say... Zak doesn't like me much. You know, with him being homophobic and all.

You can especially say that now, for instance. He came charging at me from his spot by the bathroom door and tackled me to the rough carpet under my feet. He was practically sitting on my chest and had his fist ready to fly into my awaiting face. I turned me head away so it wouldn't hurt as much.

I was now staring underneath his messy bed. Hey, look at that. A basketball. See, if I didn't sneak into his room, I never would've known he likes basketball. Or any sport, really. It's kind of sad that I don't know a single thing about my brother. Even the most unimportant of things; like the fact that he's into basketball. Basketball is actually my favorite sport and I play it whenever I go to the park. Who would've guessed we had something in common?

As I lay cringing and shaking under his heavy weight, he started to laugh. I didn't understand what was so funny, or what was causing him to laugh like that. Then again, I didn't find anything funny with the position I was currently in. There's not much humor in being punched in the face, in my opinion. He lightly slapped my cheek and got off of me, still chuckling. I released a breath of relief that I hadn't realized I had been holding. What, no beating today?

"You are so lucky I'm going on a date right now, or your face would've been bruised to hell," Zak snarled at me.

Oh yeah, real lucky.

I was surprised Zak had friends, let alone a date. Who in their right mind would want to associate with a homophobic jackass like Zak? I knew I didn't. Hopefully this poor girl, whoever she is, whether I like her or not, doesn't get tortured with Zak's abuse. Hell, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, nevermind a poor innocent girl. Although, at this point in time Zak is my worst enemy. But, whatever, you get what I'm trying to say.

Zak grabbed me by the collar of my shirt and started walking me towards his bedroom door. He scoffed and threw me out the door, like you would with a dog who's being a nuisance. As long as I was out of that room, I was grateful.
♠ ♠ ♠
My second chapter today. Wow. Please don't be a silent reader.

[12/21/2012]