Status: Updates will be slow.

Change

Chapter Three

When Matt walked out the back door of the Grill, he was immediately greeted by Elena. “Matt, hey. Thanks for coming,” she said while walking towards him.

“It’s not a problem. I only have a couple of minutes before I have to get back to work, though.”

“To get back to work or that girl you were talking to?” Stefan questioned, a playful little smile on his face.

Matt shot Stefan a look, a look that said ‘drop it.’ He didn’t want to talk abut Samantha to them and it was partly because he was worried. Matt was worried that his friends would befriend her then somehow drag her into their messed up lives. He wanted to keep her separate from what was happening in Mystic Falls.

“Girl? What girl?” Elena asked, her perfectly shaped eyebrows furrowing.

Matt shook his head. “Just a girl that is passing through town. Now can we get back to the reason why we’re out here?” he redirected the conversation and held out his wrist to Elena.

She nodded her head, averting her brown eyes to Matt’s bare wrist. Taking his hand in hers, Elena brought his wrist to her mouth and dug her fanged teeth into it. Matt let out a small wince when her teeth pierced his skin but quickly recovered from it as the warm crimson blood left his veins and into Elena’s mouth, flowing down her throat. She stopped shortly after to prevent herself from taking too much.

When she pulled away, Elena wiped her mouth clean then handed Matt a bandage. “Thanks again, Matt. I really appreciate it.”

“That’s what I’m here for. Your own personal blood bag, right?” he replied while placing the bandage on his wrist, a subtle hint of sarcasm in his voice.

“Matt-” Elena began, sighing as she did so when she felt a little pang of guilt.

He simply shook his head, cutting Elena off from whatever she was going to say, “Don’t worry about it. I owe you.” Then with a wave, he walked away back into the Grill.

Once Matt was inside, he quickly walked out to the front of the establishment and scanned the place. He felt a small smile tug at the corner of his lips when his eyes landed on Samantha looking down at the menu at a table that so happened to be in his section. But before he could go over to her, he checked in with the rest of his tabled that he had been serving prior to Samantha’s arrival.

When he was done checking in with the other customers, he grabbed the notepad from his back pocket as he walked over to where Samantha was sitting. “Are you ready to order?”

Samantha looked up from the menu and smiled when she saw Matt standing there. “Why am I not surprised to see you as my waiter?” she asked, her smile lingering as she spoke.

“Probably because you asked someone which table is mine,” Matt joked.

She let out a small laugh as she nodded her head and said, “Okay, you got me, that is exactly what I did.”

Matt smiled, liking the fact that she could take a joke and play along with it. “Do you know what you want or do you need more time?” he asked, his smile never faltering.

“I’ll just have a cheeseburger and some fries,” Samantha answered but soon trailed off when she noticed the bandage that was now secured on Matt’s wrist. “What happened?” she inquired, gesturing towards the injury.

“Oh, this? Just banged it into something in the kitchen. I wasn’t paying attention to where I was going,” Matt lied as he shrugged his shoulders.

Samantha raised her eyebrows, not really believing his story. “Right,” she said skeptically, “good thing it wasn’t a knife you walked into then.”

“Yeah, guess you’re right,” he replied, thinking that a knife was the least of his worries. Matt was about to walk away but stopped to turn his attention back to Samantha. “Hey, do you want to go out tonight?” he asked.

Samantha couldn’t hide the smile on her face even if she tried and answered, “I’d really like that.”

Returning the smile, Matt nodded his head and said, “Okay, great. I’ll let you know more before you leave.”

He glanced at her smiling face once more before walking away and getting back to work. Matt was looking forward to spending more time with Samantha and planned to do so away from Mystic Falls.