Status: 10/01/2014: I've been writing this for almost two years and I'm finally getting to the good bits. (Started: 12/23/2012)

Dreaming With a Broken Heart

i'll run

The house was quiet. Jack and Alex had gone to a late supper then had plans to hit up a club in the center of the city. Chuck, Pierre, Dave and Jeff had been forced into a boy's night by their band mate and his cousin. Dash and Sebastién had the house to themselves for the night and promised each other to some family bonding.

"Your nachos are definitely something I've missed," Dash said, letting out a slight moan as she took a large bite of a chip. Sebastién smiled over his shoulder at the girl as she leaned closer to the coffee table to pick up another handful of chips.

He crouched down in front of the television, holding two movies in his hand. "Breakfast Club or Sixteen Candles?" he asked his cousin. "Your choice tonight."

"Breakfast club," Dash responded without hesitation. "You should know the answer to that by now."

Sebastién chuckled as he placed the movie in the DVD player. "I really should. Somehow, I always think you might pick something different."

"Never," she said, grinning. Her phone vibrated next to her as Sebastién sat next to her on the sofa. She picked it up, checking the text message that popped up on her screen.

From: AWG
Jack is forcing tequila down my throat. HELP!

Dash chuckled at Alex's dramatics and typed back a quick reply before turning off her phone and laying it on the coffee table. She and Baz had promised to spend the whole night together, no distractions and no cell phones.

To: AWG
I'm sure he didn't have to twist your arm too much. G2G though: cousin bonding!

"It's kind of embarrassing to admit how many times I've seen this movie," Sebastién sighed, leaning back into the couch. "I'm pretty sure we watch this every time we get together."

Dash shrugged. "You know it's my favourite."

"I do." Sebastién pressed play and Dash pulled her legs underneath her body, pulling a blanket over them. "Also, I was thinking, on a completely unrelated note: if you wanted to fly Beans and Max out here when Kane and Ezra come, the guys and I are okay with it."

"Really?" Dash exclaimed, sitting up quickly and turning to smile at her cousin, eyes bright. "Are you serious?"

Baz laughed and nodded his head. "Yeah, it'd only be for a few weeks and it's not like you wouldn't be around to take care of them. Plus, Jeff, Chuck and Dave are going back to Québec for a few weeks, so the house will be less crowded. Kind of."

Dash threw her arms around her cousin's neck. "You are the absolute best, Baz! Kane and Ezra are flying out in four days, so I'll have to call them tomorrow to arrange for the dogs to come." She bounced in her seat. "This is so exciting! I cannot wait to see my babies!"

"Calm down, Dash," Sebastién said, smiling. "They're not here yet." She rolled her eyes at her cousin.

"Don't put a damper on my mood, Baz."

"Have you written anymore for the acoustic album?" he asked, taking a long drink of water.

Dash nodded her head. "I finished a second song last night. I think the guys are really going to like it and I think that the fans are really going to like this acoustic album."

Kane had called Dash the night before to deliver the news: the rest of the band had been surprisingly on board with her idea for an acoustic album and he and Ezra would be flying out on Thursday to help her record the tracks. She was under strict instructions to have all the songs for the EP finished by the time the boys got there so that they could get started immediately on recording.

Since she had written with Alex that night in the basement, the writing had been coming easier to Dash. She was still struggling to find the words, however the process was manageable. Since then, just being in Alex's presence seemed to help her with composing. Pierre had taken to calling Alex her muse. "Whatever it takes," Dash had said as Alex pouted about being nothing more than tool for her inspiration.

Sebastién nodded. "I think that this album could be good. Alex played the song that you two wrote for me. It's different, but it's good. I like it."

"Thanks, Baz," she said, smiling. "You have no idea how much of a relief it is to hear you say that." Dash pulled the plate of cheese covered chips onto her lap and continued, "to hear someone who's known the band since the beginning say that the new stuff is good is a confidence booster. I'm still so nervous about what the label is going to think."

He shrugged and replied, "if the label isn't on board with it, you could always release it independently online or something. Just for your fans to hear."

"That's not a bad idea actually."

Dash was quiet for a moment as she mulled over that idea. It wasn't a bad one, the fans would agree.

"Hey Dash?" The brunette was pulled from her thoughts as her cousin addressed her. "Do you miss Sam?"

She closed her eyes, tipping her head to rest on the back of the couch. "Everyday, Baz." She smiled at her cousin halfheartedly. "I still keep hoping he's going to wake up one morning and come to his senses and move back to Montréal.

"You're going to be okay, you know," he told her. "I know you, Dash. I know how strong and determined you are. My Dash wouldn't let this get her down."

She shot Baz a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes. "I haven't felt like your Dash in a while, Baz," she told him, honestly. "But I'm working on it."

"You seem a lot more like her whenever Alex is around," Sebastién told her.

"I like being with Alex," she said. "But not like that," Dash added once she saw the grin on her cousin's face. "Alex is my friend. He's easy to talk to and to write with. But we're friends, Baz. That's all. So you can stop whatever matchmaking ideas are running through your big head."

Sebastién shrugged, "whatever. Now, can we stop talking? We've already missed twenty minutes of this movie," he said, turning his attention back to the television.

Dash chuckled at her cousin. "Sure thing, Baz."

@adashofhope Movie night with my favourite cousin @SebLefebvre! Some serious family bonding up in here.

@SebLefebvre @adashofhope Vous êtes tellement bizarre...

×××


It was quarter after one in the morning when Dash woke up on the couch; Sebastién was snoring next to her, the DVD menu was up on the television screen and the lights were all off. She groaned, sitting up and stretching. Tossing her blanket over her sleeping cousin, Dash stood up from the couch and left the living room. She was at the bottom of the stairs when the front door opened and two lanky boys tumbled inside.

"Jesus Jack, be quiet," the shorter one said, his sandy brown hair falling in his face as his friend all but slammed the door shut. "Everyone's probably asleep."

"Actually, I don't think anyone else is home," Dash said, turning around and grinning at the drunken messes standing in front of her.

"Alex, look!" Jack said, excitedly, "it's the hot German girl. The cousin we're not supposed to sleep with."

Alex rolled his eyes, giving his friend a slight push. "She's French, you asshole."

"It's true," Dash agreed. "I'm the French cousin that you're not supposed to stick your penis in."

"It's so tragic," Jack continued, slurring his words together. "My buddy, Alex, is in need of a good lay." He turned to his friend with an apologetic face, tossing an arm over his shoulder. "I don't think the French girl is going to suck your dick, man."

"And that's when I know it's time for you to go to bed," Alex said, quickly, pulling his friend up the stairs. "Good night, Dash. Sorry about him."

"Hey! Hey guys, the three of us should have a couple drinks and share our feelings and our secrets," proclaimed Jack. Alex and Dash stared at the skunk haired boy as he continued, "and then we should have a threesome."

"Shut up, Jack."

"You know," Jack slurred, as Alex led him away from Dash, "he talked about you all night. How much fun you are and how smart you are and how interesting you are and how hilarious you are and how hot you are and how much he wants to bone you -"

"Jesus Jack!" Alex interrupted. "Bed. Now."

With that, Jack stumbled up the stairs, mumbling incoherently about Alex's attitude. Alex turned to Dash, his cheeks red. "I'm really sorry," he whispered, mortified. "I promise, I didn't say all that."

Unable to stop herself from laughing, Dash managed to choke out, "it's fine, Alex. I guess Jack couldn't handle the tequila as well as you."

Alex snorted at that. "Are you kidding? I'm currently seeing three of you. And as pleasant as that sight is, I really think I should follow him to bed before I drop here."

She pressed her lips to Alex's cheek and smiled at him. "Night Alex. And remember: safe sex is happy sex."

"You're an asshole, McCafferty."
♠ ♠ ♠
i can hear it in your voice: you care.
let me run my fingers through your hair
i'll keep you company at night
baby, i'm here to make this right.

you guys suck with commenting, but i did get a few new subscribers from the last chapter, so that will have to do. hope you're still sticking around! things are starting to get a little boring, i think, so expect me to mix it up in the next chapter!