The Girl With The Red Umbrella

The Girl With The Red Umbrella

The boys feet hit the ground heavily as he ran, huffing in the winter air as he ran. He could feel his lungs burning from the extensive run he was pushing himself with. It was barely five in the morning when he'd decided to do his runs. He'd finally gotten back in shape, and his mid-day lifting sessions had finally gotten his chest and arms defined once more. He could feel the chills as they ran down his body, but he ignored it, begging his sweats and t-shirt to make him warmer, though it wasn't working. Who was he to beg his fabrics to be warmer?
He continued to run, his sneakers hitting the pavement harshly. He was going onto the park now, ready to job through before going back around and home. He was yawning some as he ran. Maybe he'd take a shower and nap when he got home, he considered, his shirt dangling from his body as he ran. He stopped a few seconds, gasping a bit from his run. He had to ease up on his running, he really did. As he finally picked up himself up and headed onto his run, yawning as he did.
As he ran, he approached a girl standing, staring at a tree, her face was a soft pale, that was blanker than a new piece of paper. The bow was a little startled, but decided to keep on running, figuring that whatever business she had, he was not involved in. He ran faster, though, and pushed himself to quickly turn around and go home. He didn't understand what his feeling was being caused by, but he brushed it off as simply being tired. That's it. He was simply tired, and needed to go home and rest before class.
He continued his route every morning, not seeing that girl again for the longest time. He got an odd feeling off of it, off of the thought of her. He ran every day, only getting more and more curious over what had happened to that woman, and what had been so odd about her. Maybe he was prying too much into his own memory to try to figure out the woman's problem, but it was really burning a hole into his head. It soon consumed his mind, until he could think of nothing more than her.
A month later, the boy was running again, early in the morning. The sun had barely risen when he was running. The light stretched across the park perfectly as he ran. His eyes caught her and he stopped. Here he was, meeting the strange woman again, her red umbrella casting a shadow across her face. He tried to shift to see her face, but soon gave up, turning around running back home. He went home, and went to sleep. When the boy woke up, he was surprised to find himself in the hospital. He had been in comatose state for two and a half months. He didn't want to connect it to the lady, bu he needed questions answered, and thought she was the only one who could help.
He started running again, every day, stalling in the park for hours, simply to see if the girl would show up. He waited, every day, and sometimes at night, his night getting consumed in the need to see and speak to the woman. It was turning his life upside down, and it was ruining his relationships. He started to drop grades in school, and was losing friends, and the support of his family. Everyone had started to believe he'd lost his mind. And indeed, he'd began to.
It took a total of two years, and amazing the world by graduating college, before he could finally see the woman once more. It was cold and rainy that morning, and he'd been contemplating proposing to a girl, though they hadn't been dating more than seven months. The woman had stopped taking over his mind, it'd seemed, and he'd almost completely forgotten. Her memory still lingered in his head, though. He was in a wonderful shape, and everyone envied him for it.
He was running in the early morning of that day, when he ran into the park. There stood a girl, in a flowing dress, and a bright red umbrella. It was raining, but she just stared at the tree like it was all that mattered in the world. He face was clouded over, and she looked like she was barely even there, in the same realm as the boy was.
“Who are you!” The boy yelled. He wouldn't let her consume his life again. He'd get the answers here and now. The girl didn't budge one bit, staring on. “You! Who are you! Tell me now!” His voice was harsh, which got her attention. Her head swiveled and tilted, and the boy gasped, stepping, and falling back. He gripped his chest as he stared. Her face was mostly melted, and still melting, the skull showed as her eyes stared with an intense blindness. Her body was rotting flesh, her hand reaching out towards him.
He tried to scramble away, but the girl floated in a way, her bony, melting figure getting closer and closer, moaning and groaning as he could hear the creeks and cracks of bones. Her face fell, literally, falling to the ground, her eyes rolling back in the skull, as her hands caught his wrists. He tried to struggle away, screaming for help as her face moved closer to his. Her rolled back eyes were direct with his, and he could feel his breath slip. He felt her boney, half fleshed hands grab around his throat. He gasped and tried to get away, but she didn't let out.
“Thiiiis... Issss... Myyyy.... Paaaaark...” The woman groaned, and the last thing he saw was her lips turn to a smile-- what was left of them, at least. When the cops found him, he'd been strung up from the strongest low limb on the tree. From the autopsy report, they had determined he'd died from a mix of a heart attack and strangulation. After months of investigating, the locals chopped it up to the local legend of the park.
The local legend was of a young woman, who had just turned 17, who took walks in the park every morning, night, and when ever she could. She'd loved the park so much she'd proclaimed her intentions to some day buy the park from the current owner. Her favorite part of the park was the biggest oak in the center of the park, along the main path. She'd stand and stare at the tree for hours if she could.
One day, when it was raining terribly, she'd gone to the park. They'd talked of turning the park into the parking lot and she was ready to fight for it. She had very little power, though, and cried most of the night. She was found in the morning, though, hanging from the tree. She'd hung herself, dying in the one true place that made her happy. Hanging from her hand was her bright red umbrella. The construction was to be continued, though.
It surprised everyone when it was stopped, though. There was several workers who had died in strange accidents, and the other workers had become scared to even walk into the park. It stood dormant, untouched for years, before finally opening up. People had slowly started to die again, though, in the same fashion each time. Strung up from their neck. Having been strangled by boney-rotting hands. There were reports of moans from the ghost, often claiming the park as her own.

The end.